Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2008, 04:45 AM  
tnappaloosas

How much feed?? Too Much protein

I have a horse I am trying to put some weight on, It was suggested that I put him on 14% grain work my way up to a scoop 1/2 in am and pm and with 1 full scoop of alfalfa pellets ( the scoop in a 2 quart scoop) in am and pm. This seems to be too much protein for this horse. I am of the mindset put the weight on slow and constant . I need advise what you would do.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:56 AM  
Seasoned

Its the fat content that puts weight on a horse. You can try rice bran, beet pulp, corn oil or a weight builder suppliment. A 10 or 12% protein feed is usually enough. And free choice quality hay would help as well.

PaintsQH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:57 AM  
Bombproof Member

How old is your horse?

What kind of riding or exercise is he getting right now?

And how much weight are you looking to put on?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:01 AM  
Seasoned

You would also need to see if there is a reason the horse is thin. Can you provide some more info on the horse? Here is a website I found on fattening the thin horse.
http://www.mitavite.com.au/mitavite0...in%20Horse.pdf

PaintsQH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:11 AM  
tnappaloosas

The horse was thin when he got to my farm with multiple injuries, So Is not getting work at all. I recently put him on the 14 % grain slowly over 2 weeks to see how he would do, Well he was a little nervous now he is just wild eyed and can not seem to stand still. Imagine that LOL so, I took advise thinking this was the right thing to do. He is about 250 lbs under weight, He acts as if he could jump out of his skin, if he could, He is 8 years old. I just need to know what to do I would like he to settle in with the other horses. He was very nervous when he got to my farm, I thought he would settle in its been a few weeks and is still very nervous. Any advise I would appreciate?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:13 AM  
Bombproof Member

This is a slow process that takes about 6 weeks before you will see an appreciable difference. Lots of free choice hay. I'd add about a pound of alfalfa pellets with about 1/4 c corn oil to start 2x daily. If we overfeed, most of it winds up in the manure altho you can't see it. A horse's gut is designed for grasses or hay. After a few weeks I'd add perhaps a cup of oats for a gradual introduction. Oats are 15% protein. I bro't one from boney to nicely
fleshed out in two months on this diet. Some horses don't tolerate much protein from grains. I have one that's hyper on oats. He's fine with a small ration of Senior's. That's a good safe feed you could switch him to, beneficial oils. It often takes horses about 6 weeks to settle in.

Last edited by Slim Pikkens : 01-07-2008 at 05:18 AM.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:22 AM  
Bombproof Member

More than likely what has happened is that he now has gained a little weight, and with not being able to exercise or burn the added energy he is fueled for fire so to speak. Depending on his injuries, and what kind of turnout or rehab he is doing, you may want to be careful how much and more importantly how quick you put weight on him. Personally for me, a 10 - 12% protein complete feed with high fiber %, added beet pulp and corn oil would be the way I would go. Also, lots of free choice hay and clean water. Try and stay away from all grains and feed with molasses binders.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:35 AM  
Pasture Pet

A horses system can only absorb a certain amount of protein. the rest is waste.
Too much protein and the horse does exactly what your horse is doing.
The extra protein, causes the organs to get stressed and overworked. and causes heat, and founder.

Cut back the protein, add oil or rice bran or beet pulp. plenty of free choice hay to keep the belly working Take him off the 14 % before he colics, or founders. and use a 10-10-10- grain. , Good luck and do not over do. take it slow and he will be fine.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:37 AM  
Bombproof Member

With my rescues I feed a 10% feed with rice bran. Molasses is in mine and never had a problem.
Small amounts for the first few weeks gradually increasing over a month and half.
I also feed Source suppliment. It is a mutli-suppliment that has the enzymes for the horse to utilize their feed better.
Worming is done on a weekly basis for a month with safeguard. Then twice a month with exodus and then one more time with ivermectin and on a regular worming schedule.
Of course, free feed hay and fresh water.

My rescue page.
http://diamondpfarmfl.tripod.com

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:56 AM  
Weanling Member

My husband bought a RMH who was an "almost rescue"- the kids that owned him , could not afford to feed him well. We got him last March. Now he looks like a different horse. I am a RN and I read plenty to put the weight on safely.

We have successfully put healthy weight on our 15 year old Rocky Mountain horse.........we took him from 750 lbs to 900 lbs over 10 months. With a healthy shiny coat/mane and tail, good muscle development and no colic or signs of digestive disturbances along the way. I have some suggestions for you.

TAKE BEFORE PICTURES. Front, side and rear

# 1 make sure the horse is wormed well
#2 make sure his teeth are doing a good job of mashing the nutrients so they can be absorbed, undigested seeds in the manure are a sign that digestion may not be good
#4 weigh the food ( I know this is a pain but different moisture contents make feed weigh different amounts and you will have to know how much you are feeding )A small scale really helps and doesn't cost much. #5 Decide on the hay & feed you will use and how often ( everyone has advice). Decide on the hay you will use........all hays are NOT equal.
#6 add a weight builder suppliment product
#7 give a vitamin and mineral suppliment
#8 Probiotics are a good idea too- they add normal flora back into the gut
#9 HorseShine is a great Omega 3 additive (they have many benefits)
#10 Have a long range plan and a reasonable goal, its very dangerous to have a horse "over-fed" for many reasons. The weight has to go on s-l-o-w-l-y.
#11 Regular exercise-

Good Luck !

Last edited by CatFromFL : 01-07-2008 at 05:59 AM.
CatFromFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:30 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Do you know any history on this horse? What kind of injuries did he have? Was he from an abusive home? How big is he, what breed is he, is he broke at all? You'll get great advice here on how to get him back in shape but I'm also concerned about his behavior. There seems to be more going on than just adjusting to a new home. A frightened horse can be a very dangerous horse, BE CAREFUL and best of luck with him.

"Ye've the look of a scoundrel! And a dandysprat and a ragamuffin. Though I'll admit, for all that, ye could yet be a congressman". From Jim Butcher's "Ghost Story"
Jean Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:07 PM  
Started

I personally like Empower horse feed. It is very high in fat, has all the nuritional needs and has a 12% protein.

http://www.zootoo.com/horses_foodother/nutrenaempower
http://www.nutrenaworld.com/screens/...?ProductID=166

When Atty lost a lot of weight, the vet recommended it. She got 1 pound of safe choice, 6 oz. of sweet feed and 8 oz of Empower twice a day. I am having to start weaning her from the Empower now as she is geting to be a butterball.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited by Ferronsgranny : 01-07-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Ferronsgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:47 PM  
Pasture Pet

OK after a thorough vetting and tooth inspection and shot of b12...

I love Empower-rice bran base and it is what our rescues get. Empower and Safe Choice and a bit of alfalfa. Free feed grass hay .
I worm with a 1/2 dose Ivermectrin and they get a daily probiotic[Forco is the best I have found]
BUT she is right we all have our own way to do it.
They are generally about the same-only the feeds available in the area change.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition