Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 PM  
Yearling Member

Question Snotty nose and coughing

Well Moontahr is sick....again

A couple of days ago, he had a dry cough. It has been dry and dusty so I thought that maybe that was a reason why he is coughing. Got to the barn today and noticed that he has a yellowish-green snot coming out of his nose.

His was coughing more and it was a deep hard cough. Other than that, he seems fine. Is think it is just a cold. I am going to keep and eye on him though.

Is there anything that I can do to help his snotty nose and cough. I was thinking about giving him some benadryl (sp?). Or should I just let it run its course?
RealFolkBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:11 AM  
Yearling Member

If you have yellowish-green snot, you have infection or something contagious. You really need to call a vet. If it is a resperatory infection he will not get better without antibiotics. They can get these from something as simple as allergies, just like us.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:57 AM  
Bombproof Member

This is not a "wait and see" situation. He may have an abcess tooth, no matter the vet needs to see him right away.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:05 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I agree most definitely, anything other than clear mucous warrants a call to the vet. How is he today?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:26 AM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to DanielleS
Call the vet asap and get him looked at..you don't want it spreading or getting worse.
DanielleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:25 PM  
Yearling Member

Exclamation Update

Went to the barn today. Moontahr had a fever of 104 Called the vet and told him all the symptoms. Snotty nose, coughing, and now a fever. He said that it sounds like a upper respiratory infection. Right now I guess we are focusing on the fever. He told me that if he does not get worse then we are going to let it runs it course. He is eating, drinking, pooing and peeing as usual.

Another horse is sick to. Marilyn's new horse, Corbin (not really new, she just bought him from a boarder) has the same thing as Moontahr. Wonderful...it just never ends
Old 12-09-2007, 05:09 PM  
Started

If a horse can fight it off and still eat good and drink water good, then give him 4-5 days to see...if he quits eating good and if he is still coughing, he will need Ab...such as, Tucoprim....it comes in powder form and paste form...the paste form won't last over a day or 2 at the most so my vet where I work recom Tucoprim powder.....1 scoop per 440# mixed in with molasses based feed or you can pour 1/4 cup corm oil in and mix it better....give 2-1/4 scoops once a day for at least 1-14 days, some horses require longer...once I had one that went through 2 canisters.....before he got better.

SACREDWINDWALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:26 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to DustyTrailsHorseRescue
Yesterday one of my horses had a bit of a cough, this morning he had 104.5 temp and nasal discharge (white/greenish). I called the Vet right away, she came and gave dex/benamin IV, and started him on uniprim powder.

She thinks it's upper resp. and he needs to stay on uniprim. I guess what I am saying is, I would be uncomfortable to let it run it's course when other horses are around (btw we also put him in quarantine).

I hope the horses feel better soon, best of luck!
Old 12-09-2007, 08:33 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyTrailsHorseRescue View Post
Yesterday one of my horses had a bit of a cough, this morning he had 104.5 temp and nasal discharge (white/greenish). I called the Vet right away, she came and gave dex/benamin IV, and started him on uniprim powder.

She thinks it's upper resp. and he needs to stay on uniprim. I guess what I am saying is, I would be uncomfortable to let it run it's course when other horses are around (btw we also put him in quarantine).

I hope the horses feel better soon, best of luck!
I second this, especially where multiple horses are concerned. By the time it has run through the barn, the first one that was originally sick, still weak can get it again. Could make for a long winter of continually sick horses.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:03 PM  
Yearling Member

I have kept them isolated from the other horses. There stalls are at the end of the barn and there is a empty stall between the one sick horse and the others. I notified everybody at my barn to keep an eye on there horses.

I gave them bute to help with there fever. I checked their temps a couple of hours ago and it was 99. I will check them again when I wake up in a few hours from now.

Other than the cough and the snot, they are fine. They are eating and drinking normally. I will call the vet in the morning and see what he wants to do. Moontahr is really putting a dent in my wallet
Old 12-09-2007, 11:49 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to DustyTrailsHorseRescue
They have a way to get to our $$ , of course I had to call my vet out on a sunday... I'm glad the fever was down for your guys! There is always light at the end of the wallet
Old 12-12-2007, 01:30 PM  
Halter broke

Call me a skeptic, but it seems odd to me that all these horses at your barn are all of a sudden coming down with a "cold". It sounds like something more than that to me. Are there any new horses there within 2 weeks prior to yours coming down sick? If so, I would suggest you have your vet do a nasal swab, and have it tested for Strangles. I just went thru Strangles in my herd over the summer, and trust me.....they don't ALWAYS get an abcess under the jaw! There are 19 horses here.....10 of those got sick with it....but only 3 had the abcess under the jaw. The other 7 had all the same symptoms that your horse is displaying! I'd get it checked! It's better to be safe than sorry!

ETA: Some of them were only sick for 3 or 4 days....others stayed sick for up to 2 weeks!
LovesEveryHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:11 PM  
Greenbroke Member

My trainer kept my horse another month because she had the same symptoms and he didn't want the rest of my herd catching it. It was going around in his area. (four hours away from me) My horse did two rounds of antibiotics before she came home. I'd get a second opinion.

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition