Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2007, 08:27 PM  
Halter broke

5-way vaccines

what all is in a 5-way vaccine? do ya think that would work mostly for horses in the south? My vet used to give these little guys, and i found them in a mag for $10 as opposed to the whopping $110 that my vet charges. Is there any difference what so ever, or are the equine health care providers being greedy? Curious
Old 10-27-2007, 08:29 PM  
Coming two

A five way vaccine typically has Eastern and Western Encephalitis, Tetanus, Rhino and Flu in it.
gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:47 PM  
Coming two

What she said.

Plus, a vet charges more since they're using their time to come and vaccinate your animal(s). It's a business, ya know.

I believe our cost for vaccinations last year was the cost of the barn visit and like $35 for the vaccines.

"Oftentime, the notion of "Following one's heart" is used as an excuse to avoid doing what is best because it's to hard or to complicated." ~David Hopkins
shayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:07 PM  
Started

At my vet in Kentucky, he charges 15.50 for Innovator 4-way (without the Venezuela) if you bring your horse up there...no exam fee. you can order the same vaccine in a magazine...ours is Fort Dodge brand. However, I don't know about further south....I really don't think it matters as long as you are in the U.S. but I do know that people in Texas are required to give rabies to horses but that's separate anyway...

SACREDWINDWALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:14 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to DustyTrailsHorseRescue
If a 5 way is 1cc, how can it be as affective than 5 individual shots at 1cc each? Just food for thought, I've been thinking about this for months now and still don't know.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:29 PM  
Pasture Pet

The 5 way vaccine has the same dose of the "innoculator" but the rest is a carrier-sterile water and whatever.
Sort of like why 10cc's of liquid ivermectrin wormer will dose your horse as well as the big tube of wormer. No carrier in it.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:00 AM  
Halter broke

I wish it was that cheap for vaccines here! I pd $189 per horse for shots, and that was with nothing out of the ordinary. the price doubled from last year. they said the vaccines took a huge jump in price. If they would allow me to give them myself, it would save on the house call but that's the cheapest part of the bill. But they won't allow you to do that these days.
dialem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:50 AM  
Long Yearling

I order my vaccines from Jeffers Equine Supply and give them myself.
They have the EWT Flu/Rhino. It is much more economical for me to do it this way for sure.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:39 AM  
Weanling Member

lonearrow - as I read that post I was thinking the same thing. As long as you don't have a phobia of needles I would really suggest giving them yourself. The only vaccine your vet HAS to give legally is rabies (from what I've been told but correct me if I'm wrong). You can save a lot of money just doing it on your own.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:44 AM  
Seasoned

Oh I'm glad someone asked this question... I kept meaning to, as well...
Our vet has a "Health Care Plan" type deal where you pay for all shots, wormings and vet visits for the year... It comes close to $400. I'd much rather knock out the shots myself for $25 and pay the $5 for wormers, and $30 for the coggins test to be pulled... It's alllll in the visit fees...

You can only blame your problems on the world for so long
Before it all becomes the same old song.
KatieMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:47 AM  
Weanling Member

dialem - I just realized you're in Canada. Are the vaccine laws different there? If your vet HAS to give them I guess you're kind of stuck.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:54 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I give all my own shots except Rabies, and my vet gives that and does the coggins for about 60.00. I get the shots from TSC. It is definitly cheaper.

I'm your huckleberry.-Doc Holliday
Mom to GBM Coltfortyfive aka Marshall
99horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:07 AM  
Long Yearling

My horses were due for their shots last week and the vet receptionist said the doctor was real busy. The vet called me back about another problem with one of my other horses and since he was short on time I had asked about buying the vaccines from Jeffer's and vaccinating them myself. He said that those vaccines are not a effective as the one that he gives. Maybe he was just saying that I don't know. I could have bought the vaccination from him, but that only saves my about $5.00 a horse he said. So I set an appointment and he came out and vaccinated all my horses. I have 3 and it was $130.00 total for the 3 horses. That is cheaper than taking my dog to the vet for their shots.
jtfer1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition