Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2007, 07:58 PM  
Weanling Member

Exclamation Bugs in his ears

One of my friends horses has bugs in his ears, but the thing is I rubbed my thumb inside of his ear and a few of these bugs popped and I pulled my thumb out and blood was all over it. It kinda grossed me out but they aren't ticks unless ticks can fly but they look like larger gnats to me. Anyone know what these bugs are and if they can harm the horse? Thanks in advance!
luckyhorseshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:03 PM  
Seasoned

WOW I have never heard of that I'd be interested in hearing this one.

Izzy my walking dream!!!
cook1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:03 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I don't know what they are called technically. I call them ear gnats. My horse gets them quite bad cause he doesn't have alot of hair in his ears. I have used vaseline on the very outer hairs to repel them. I have had them so bad that the horse was ear shy because of the pain.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:04 PM  
Long Yearling

We get em bad her.. gnat type...
I use SWAT in their ears.. It is healing and repels those nasty things...
The little blood sucking heathens will make their ears sore and can make 'em headshy.. But after a few times of the swat stuff my guys all come and put their heads down for me. I will admit that before they came out with the clear Swat, every one looked pretty funny with pink ears!!!!

Quality Peformance horses with foundation breeding
http://blackcanyonpaints.webs.com/
CowhorseGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:04 PM  
Pasture Pet

I don't have any idea what they might be, but I would say that any insect that attaches itself and drinks blood, could transmit disease. This is just a guess though!
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:29 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKS View Post
Nasty little flies is what they are. They will also pick spots on thier bellies and so many bite in one place they will make sores.

For the belly sores any kind of cream ointment works.

Fly masks with ears help. The swat works good too. I don't shave my horses ears either because of them. Nasty Nasty little bugs!!! If your horses don't mind and mine love it I grab the ear on the outside and smash and rub the sides together. Smooshes them dead! But some horses REALLY don't like that. Mine are wierd.

Mine horse loves it when I do that. I use utter balm on his belly, the flies bite at him in one particular spot and it drives me and him crazy!
luckyhorseshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:59 PM  
Greenbroke Member

**** bugs!
Old 10-18-2007, 09:05 PM  
Bombproof Member

Sounds like possible ear mites. They can get quite nasty. Your local feed store should carry ear mite powder. It is the same powder used for dogs and cats. It is fairly inexpensive and works pretty quickly.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:08 PM  
Yearling Member

Poor horse, that has to be so uncomfortable. I wish I could help, you, but I never had that problem. I would consult a vet - don't want any open wounds or infections. If the horse gets too infested, would watch for neuro problems. Reason why I use fly masks with ears and I don't shave the hair out of my horses ears. Florida is horrible- esp in the summer.
Luvpaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:29 PM  
Weanling Member

They aren't ear mites. They're some type of fly. My horses get them too but I don't think it was as bad this year. Maybe because of the dry weather. I squirt some fly spray in my hand & rub in & on their ears.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:23 PM  
Kid Safe

Oh yes, I know them well. I will check my horses in the spring, rubbing my thumb upwards in the ears. I try to catch them early, but sometimes I get the bloody thumb! We have them every year, nasty little flies! I use the roll-on, Farnam or Endure.

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:36 AM  
Yearling Member

My herd gets them a lot in the summer. I use a little Swat in their ears and it works to heal the bites and repels the insects.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:50 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse poor View Post
I don't know what they are called technically. I call them ear gnats. My horse gets them quite bad cause he doesn't have alot of hair in his ears. I have used vaseline on the very outer hairs to repel them. I have had them so bad that the horse was ear shy because of the pain.
I have had the same experience. My horse was so head shy I would have to literally take my bridle apart and reassemble it on his head. I'll tell you what worked for me. Lime...I went to lowe's and bought a bag of lime dust, like you lime stalls with. put a handfull in a lady's stocking (my ganny calls them knee highs) and patted it around his ears then sprinkled a little in each ear, every day for a couple weeks. It got rid of them.

"If you see your stirrups slap together above the horn, you're probably bucked off". Dave Stamey.
David is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition