Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2007, 10:47 AM  
Kid Safe

Tell me about Bluestem hay....

It's very plentiful around here, and not expensive. Most of the pastures are native grasses. Does anyone know anything about feeding the hay? It looks really stemmy, so I don't know how it would be for horses. Any and all input would be great. I have always preferred Bermuda and alfalfa, but if anyone has anything to say about the bluestem I'd like to know! Thanks!

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."
roberts617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:26 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Nothing wrong with it as a basic grass hay. It's not going to shine them up or put extra energy into them like alfalfa would. What we feed around here is similar and our horses have always done just fine on it. I don't have any real hard keepers though.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:41 PM  
Kid Safe

Okay thanks! I was wondering how it would be free choice as a round bale supplemented with alfalfa. We have some that don't need to eat alfalfa and I can get some really nice bluestem/bermuda mix that I can get for a really good price. I didn't really think they would over eat, they are used to round bales, but wanted to make sure no one had any horror stories about it!

Thanks again!

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."
roberts617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:21 AM  
Yearling Member

We are feeding blue stemed prairie grass from Kansas. It is very similar to our orchard grass her in Tennessee. I checked with 3 local vets before I bought it and all 3 of them said it was excellent horse hay. All of my horses are doing fine on it (but I never feed anything like Alfalfa). I havn't been able to feed it free choice, because the eat it way too fast (5 horses went thru a 700 lb bale in 4 days). All 3 vets said there were no problems associated with it that they know of.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition