Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2007, 07:03 AM  
Bombproof Member

Galvayne's Groove

Yesterday, a gelding's groove is just shy of the bottom of the tooth, which should place him at 19 or 20. Owner swears he's only 15. Doesn't the groove start to grow out at 20? That hasn't started yet. Opinions please. My own gelding's groove was by the book, at 20 the tooth appeared smooth at the gumline. I tracked this for 20 years and it was right on.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:48 AM  
Weanling Member

yes you are right. the grove is all the way gone at 20. I think it comes in at 15 or so. and when the horse reaches about 20 the grove is gone. Thats why its hard to tell the age of an older horse when the grove is gone.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 PM  
Bombproof Member

The Galvaynes groove usually appears during there seventh year, in front of the hook, and disappears usually at 20. This is an a typical scenario, but you also have to consider factors that could change it, thus possibly having a two or three year swing. Over all health , appearance and condition of the horse combined with this can help narrow down those that aren't a typical.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:42 PM  
Kid Safe

Galvayne's Groove is a good way to help figure out a horse's age, ALONG with their dental stars. My trick is to take good photos of each side of their teeth, then from the front, and then to open their mouth enough to take pictures of their dental stars. Then I get the pictures on my computer, and compare them to the diagrams I have in some of my books (I'm sure something could be found online too). Of course, there are some horses that don't follow patterns, or have had some excessive wear or whatnot, but I have been very accurate when using that to age horses. I guess that wasn't quite your question, but hopefully it will help you find another way to age that gelding!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:51 PM  
Yearling Member

Galvayne's Groove can be quite unpredictable all on their own. You need to look at other wear patterns. Some horses, even that fit the ideal for their age (teeth wise) may still have a Galvayne's Groove the wrong length for their age.
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:15 PM  
Bombproof Member

Thanks everyone for your input. The owner had never been on a horse when she bo't this guy (about 4 yrs ago) and was told he was a registered qh altho she's never seen any paperwork. An old horseman jokingly told me "there ain't a horse over ten when it's for sale". Being a green horn, the buyer wouldn't have known what to look for and didn't get a vet check. Considering all other signs to look for, slope of front teeth, body condition, etc, etc. I still place him close to 20.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition