Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2007, 11:02 AM  
Long Yearling

Question How to feed alfalfa pellets?

Does any one supplement with Alfalfa pellets in the winter? How much do you feed in one feeding? My horse will be on hay but he seems to be a bit of a hard keeper so I bought some AP to supplement this year, but of course they did not come with instuctions What is better Pellets or Cubes? I bought pellets thinking they would be more palatable.
Tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:04 AM  
Pasture Pet

Read the packages on these - some have very little alfalfa and are mainly lots of plain hay..

We feed senior feed and beet pulp instead - higher fiber, sugar, minerals, protien, without making them hot..

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:08 AM  
Coming two

I am feeding my mare alfalfa pellets. She is a Thoroughbred with a 3 month old colt at her side. I chose the pellets because my mare can be prone to choke and felt the pellets would be easier chewed, than the cubes. I feed her a coffee can (I believe this is about a quart) AM+PM and also feed 4 flakes timothy AM+PM. Seems to be working well for her, but she is also not being ridden, so not sure how "hot" she is.

www.NewEnglandWarmbloods.com
Breeding and Training Quality Sporthorses
Amrwmblds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:10 AM  
Pasture Pet

Heck, she is nursing a colt - hard to be "hot" when you have a wee one along..

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
Old 09-05-2007, 11:12 AM  
Bombproof Member

You don't want to feed more alfalfa than recommended on the bag as it can be too much of a good thing. I feed about a pound a day, moistened as I find horses often throw the pellets, if dry and feed container. In winter I set on clean snow. I agree with about the senior's. The additional oils help and I believe there is beet pulp in seniors.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:15 AM  
Long Yearling

I bought the staight Alfalfa ones there was a hay mix that was cheaper, but I figured this would be a better way to go. I read the package and it says...

Min Protien 17%
Min Crude fibre 24%
Max Moisture 12%
TDN 60.6
Old 09-05-2007, 11:17 AM  
Pasture Pet

How much of it is alfalfa though - You can almost get the same Protien with a 16% feed, and beet pulp has about the same fiber content..

I always compare to see if what I am buying is the best deal for the money - for one horse, though, you are probably fine, but we feed up to 20 or 25 head at a time, so for us, a combo of senior, 12% grain, and beet bulp is a better bang for the buck..

Old 09-05-2007, 11:18 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Pikkens View Post
You don't want to feed more alfalfa than recommended on the bag as it can be too much of a good thing. I feed about a pound a day, moistened as I find horses often throw the pellets, if dry and feed container. In winter I set on clean snow. I agree with about the senior's. The additional oils help and I believe there is beet pulp in seniors.
I tried the special mixes for hard keeper, I tried beet pulp too, and corn oil last year nothing worked, I have him on pasture for the summer and he has done very well so I would like to keep him that way.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:22 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarmranch View Post
How much of it is alfalfa though - You can almost get the same Protien with a 16% feed, and beet pulp has about the same fiber content..

I always compare to see if what I am buying is the best deal for the money - for one horse, though, you are probably fine, but we feed up to 20 or 25 head at a time, so for us, a combo of senior, 12% grain, and beet bulp is a better bang for the buck..
I don't know I am assuming it is all alfalfa, I had 2 choices alfalfa or alfalfa hay mix. The bag doesn't say anything else, it's called Stockpro feeds Alfalfa pellets.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:29 AM  
Pasture Pet

It may be 100% - I only asked because I was going to pick some up for one of our horses at TSC this weekend - they had a sale, and the cubes are great for treats - but when I read the package, most of it was just regular hay, only about 10% alfalfa...

But I can not remember the brand I looked at..

Old 09-05-2007, 11:37 AM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarmranch View Post

Not to steal your thread Tippy, just wanted to know more about this? Gbar do you mix the senior feed and 12% grain about half and half and add beet pulp? I did feed alfalfa pellets last winter when we couldn't find good hay, but it about broke us. It gets expensive pretty quick....

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."
roberts617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:41 AM  
Pasture Pet

I mix according to the horse - but generally our hard to keep mares get a coffee can full of 12%, a coffee can full of senior, and 3 scoops of beet pulp once a day; others get 1/2 of that; some get only senior, and some only 12% - I also add a cup of calf manna to some, and corn oil.. and then adjust as they gain or lose wieght depending on acitivity, weather, pregancy or suckling a foal...... This is in addition to free feed hay for most..

You do have to build it up gradually though - otherwise they can colic if you give that much to start with - Peppy on the other hand gets a handful of senior just so he doesn't feel left out..

Old 09-05-2007, 11:55 AM  
Kid Safe

Okay thanks. I guess the ones that are chunky toads will just get a handful or 2 then

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."
roberts617 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition