Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2007, 09:44 AM  
Halter broke

Kicked in the Knee--Advice?

Ok, not sure if this is the right spot for this post. But anyway, my sister, who works at a dressage barn got kicked HARD in the knee by one of the horses last week. He nailed her square on the side of her knee. It swelled up to the size of a softball and she couldn't bend it. BUT she still rode twice that day, continued to ride on it every day after for a week. It got so large she had to cut her jeans open because she couldn't fit them over the lump, but she never went to the doctor. She finally showed it to me today and it isn't bruised, and the swelling has gone down a bit, but it's got a huge fluid filled mass over he knee. When she touches it, it doesn't hurt, but the whole thing starts swimming around. It hurts her to walk upstairs and drive the stick shift. Ugh, it completely grossed me out. But she refuses to see a doctor even though she admits if one of the HORSES were kicked she would have called the vet. Has anyone experienced something similar to this? I've never been kicked in a joint personally (thank god) and I'm very worried for her. She already has a walnut sized contusion on her other knee that will never go away from another horse accident. Thanks!
ali_acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:45 AM  
Kid Safe

Well im really hoping that she will realiza that she needs go to the doctor or hospital... sometimes that fluid needs to be drained or she will have lifetime problems with that knee
gingerfleguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:47 AM  
Halter broke

She left on a plane this morning to go to a wedding in Maine, then she comes back to work a show at Culpeper all next week. I'm so worried if she ignores this and keeps working and riding on it she'll do some real damage to her kneecap, but I'm no doctor so I really can't tell.

Last edited by ali_acres : 08-17-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:44 AM  
Pasture Pet

Yikes! She needs to have it drained... It can turn into a big infected mess!
And I am a Dr, so I can say that!
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:51 AM  
Long Yearling

She needs to see a doctor, ask her what if it did permanent damage and she couldn't ride again? She would really wish she had seen a doctor then....Hind site is always 20/20.
Tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:01 AM  
Long Yearling

She needs to go see a doctor. An acquaintance of mine (years ago) was showing in HUS and received a knee injury. Was advised to not ride for 3 months. She did anyway as it was the middle of show season, she was high in the point standings, ect. We lost touch. About 2 years later, I found her horse up for sale, she was undergoing surgery that required a year recoup time and did not know if she would ever be able to ride again.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:23 AM  
Nikknock

From someone who has had more knee surgeries than I care to count and am suffering from chronic knee pain due to ignoring injuries when they first happened...sit on her and drag her off to the doctor. Due to my prior injuries to both my knees I am now a canidate for total knee replacements by the age of 35 years old. I don't even want to imagine more pain, more surgery, more physical therapy (legalized torture that you pay for).

It could be something as simple as just draining the fluid off her knee or it could be worse. But you need to remind her that if it was one of her horses with a knee like that, she wouldn't hesitate to call the vet. So why hesitate to go to the doctor? Which is easier said than done knowing that there are many of us who at one time or another have put ourselves 2nd to make sure that our animals are taken care of.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:23 AM  
Weanling Member

Go get it looked at I had something similar happen didn't hurt unless stairs etc. And now 8 years later I am looking at three torn ligiments and no stability in the knee. It will still give out on me. If I had it looked at in time I would have lost as much stability. I am also looking at surgery on the other one because of over strain because I was compensating for the other.
Morgan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:06 PM  
Long Yearling

I'd talk to a doctor and see what could happen if she doesn't get it check. Then maybe scare her with the horror stories of what could be to get her to go to the doctor. She really should go, especially with unknown fluid build up it could be dangerous for her future knee.
lelo2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:35 PM  
Kid Safe

You need to get her to go to the doctor no matter what she says-she could have problems later on.

If not at home try the barn.
beckyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:57 PM  
Yearling Member

Holy crap!!! Get her stubborn butt to a hospital!!!

I got kicked twice last year, both within a three week period (a different horse each time, needless to say, I did not buy either prospect)

The first one nailed me about mid thigh, hyper-extended both my hip and knee joints from the pressure, created a massive hematoma (sp?), tore up parts of my muscle and tendons and left me with a huge dent in my thigh, coincidentley in the shape of a hoof-print. I then had to drive 2 hours to the hospital....

The second one (3 weeks later as untimely as it was seeing as I was just able to walk without crutches) kicked me square on the side of my left knee, dislocated my joint so badly that I swore my knee could hit a perfect 90 degree angle (probably not but man did I ever see salt and pepper through my vision at that moment) and cracked my tibia. I had to put my knee back in place by myself thanks to a nearby fence because the owner of the horse was too busy vomiting at the sight of my 'bent' leg. Then I waited for my coach to pick me up and once again, head for the hospital only to be left with a massive 8 inch scar from the side of my knee to the front of my calf. Ugh, the look on that emergency doctor's face when I came in for the second time....

It sounds like she has fluid built up and as Carri had said in the above post, it will need to get drained...THIS CAN DAMAGE HER JOINT, please make her go to the hospital, tell her that this can hinder her riding career!! Use some scare tactics to scare her into seeing a doctor!!

I hope dearly that she is ok!!

PhotoJoe on Facebook - If you like my work, please 'Like' my page! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photo...921892?sk=wall

Last edited by FoxMartini : 08-17-2007 at 08:09 PM.
FoxMartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:17 PM  
Halter broke

Thank you guys so much for the advice, and for all the personal stories. I've forwarded this thread to her and will really hound her when she gets home. she keeps insisting that its "fine", but I think she's being a stubborn
thank you again and I really hope everyone recovers ok from their injuries too. jolene-those kicks sound terrible. have you been able to ride since? lucky it wasn't worse I guess, but that still sounds so painful. here's to a speedy recovery for everyone.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:56 PM  
Yearling Member

Lol, I too was stubborn and even after being kicked, I attempted riding many times, assuring my coach that it didn't hurt...it sure did hurt but I wanted to ride!
I snuck on my one safe gelding a week after the first kick and got half way round the block before I had to turn back to the barn cause I was in such pain, plus my coach came driving around the corner after her day at the barn and tore a strip right out of my butt for riding.... About three or so weeks after the second kick, I took my gelding in the show I had entered from two months ago and did pretty well (though I never dismounted or moved my legs from the position they were stuck in!), I didn't want to cancel my entries because yet again...I am just as stubborn as the next horsetopia rider!

I do have trouble with my thigh muscle from the first kick and every so often, my left knee feels really strained after a good lesson but I was lucky to get treated right away instead of waiting till it got worse.

PhotoJoe on Facebook - If you like my work, please 'Like' my page! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photo...921892?sk=wall
FoxMartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:16 PM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikknock View Post
From someone who has had more knee surgeries than I care to count and am suffering from chronic knee pain due to ignoring injuries when they first happened...sit on her and drag her off to the doctor. Due to my prior injuries to both my knees I am now a canidate for total knee replacements by the age of 35 years old. I don't even want to imagine more pain, more surgery, more physical therapy (legalized torture that you pay for).

It could be something as simple as just draining the fluid off her knee or it could be worse. But you need to remind her that if it was one of her horses with a knee like that, she wouldn't hesitate to call the vet. So why hesitate to go to the doctor? Which is easier said than done knowing that there are many of us who at one time or another have put ourselves 2nd to make sure that our animals are taken care of.

I'm right there with you!!!
I will also be in the hospital bed beside you with two new knees at 35 as well and you don't want to mess around with any joint problem!!
GO TO THE DOCTOR!!!
Please!

Night Fire Ranch
Gotta Love Duns is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition