Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2007, 04:10 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via AIM to Thunderz Gurlz Send a message via Yahoo to Thunderz Gurlz
Feeding Hay Cubes

I had to switch to hay cubes for Thunder. He cant digeste hay anymore. So I was wondering how much he should get. He is a pony 13.2 hands, 750 lbs or so. He is getting one http://www.statelinetack.com/largeIm...LT723204%20LIM scoop like that of senior equine also.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:34 PM  
Long Yearling

I'd start with about 2 lbs of cubes, soaked in water, 3x a day, or 3 lbs 2x a day if you can't feed 3x. If he's having a hard time digesting hay, I'd make sure the cubes were soaked really well so all he has to to is basically slurp it up. You can adjust the amount up or down from there depending on how his weight is.
instigatorkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:28 PM  
Greenbroke Member

They don't have to be soaked. I have never soaked cubes all the years I have fed them. Haven't had any problems. If your pony has teeth problems, then soaking the cubes would help. Usually the bag has the recommended feeding amounts on it.

Brazil's National Horse is now in Canada! http://sunsetmarchadors.blogspot.com/
dandeeqh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:38 AM  
Pasture Pet

A 3 lb scoop of alfalfa cubes equates out to about a flake.

I have never had issues with dry cubes either. I do not feed the hard cubes though. There are 2 types. Some are processed with water to bind them [those are the type I feed] There are brands that add bentonite,a clay,to bind them. Those are hard as a rock and they are harder to chew.
ToveroMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:46 AM  
Coming two

Yep, the same here, Ive always fed them dry with no issues. You will just have to try different amounts, and see what works best, Go with the reccomendations on the bag, and adjust from there.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:13 PM  
Long Yearling

My post recommending that she soak them was in reference to the fact that she said her pony could no longer digest hay. I'm assuming that means he can no longer chew it adequately. In this case she should definitely soak them well. If he can't chew regular hay there's no way he'll be able to chew the big hay cubes. If he's still got some teeth, she can get away with just softening them up with some water. If he has no teeth, she can make a slurry of soprts that he can slurp up.

For normal horses, yeah, they do fine with dry cubes.
instigatorkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:31 PM  
Newborn Member

Hay cubes swell up, therefore absorbing the fluid already in your horses gut and intestine. I have fed a few as treats but those who feed quantity are lucky if theyve had no problem. Do you add water to your beet pulp? Thats another thing that needs water before it goes into your horses gut. You may want to feed beet pulp intead of hay cubes. also there is chop (chopped hay with added molasses, this can cause choke as well as the hay cubes). My advise is beet pulp soaked in water. ASK A VET OR TWO
Old 07-26-2007, 12:28 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Hay cubes swell up, therefore absorbing the fluid already in your horses gut and intestine. I have fed a few as treats but those who feed quantity are lucky if theyve had no problem. Do you add water to your beet pulp? Thats another thing that needs water before it goes into your horses gut.
Those are old wives tales that have been proven false.

For two winters in a row all I fed was cubes...no hay. Never had a problem at all and my horses kept great condition. Guaranteed nutrition in the cubes...you can't guarantee hay unless you have every batch tested.

Brazil's National Horse is now in Canada! http://sunsetmarchadors.blogspot.com/

Last edited by dandeeqh : 07-26-2007 at 12:31 AM.
dandeeqh is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition