Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2007, 09:07 PM  
Started

Send a message via AIM to Shiloveshorses
What is a sarcoma?

My horses came home Friday and I am sooooo thrilled. But after examing them over to just be sure that they were in tip top shape I noticed something on Rockets tummy. I talked to my friend who had them at her place and brought them to me said that her vet said it was a sarcoma and to put some hemrohoidal(sp?) ointment on it. The grass is tall in their pasture and the flies are horrible and they are getting all over it. If you look at it from a distance it looks like her still has his naval cord and he is 4 years old. I am at a loss. I don't know if there is something else I could be doing or if I should call the vet. I don't have a vet here yet (just moved to Richmond, KY). Any suggestions?

Don't give up on today's dreams as they could be tomorrow's reality.........http://www.gofundme.com/71uatk
Shiloveshorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:02 PM  
Long Yearling

Hmmm, sarcoma is cancer, you definitely don't want it to be that. Is it like a tumor, or a broad patch of raised skin?

If it's like a small rubber ball under the skin, it's probably sarcoma. Lots of horses get sarcomas, and live a long happy life with them, but some forms are more aggressive than others. The prognosis isn't great it they show up in a 4 year old. **SORRY!** Some vets remove them, and others let them go.

My guess is that it's actually "sweet itch," which is an allergic reaction that a lot of horses get from being bitten by a certain type of midge (no-see-um).

If it's sweet itch, the horse will likely about bowl you over for scratching it they'll be so happy. It's also strictly seasonal, so it should start to disappear as fall comes around and be completely gone by winter.

You can protect him with SWAT ointment on his belly and lots of fly spray.
instigatorkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:13 PM  
Started

Send a message via AIM to Shiloveshorses
Question

It started off looking like a bug bite ( a few months ago). I just let it go thinking it was a bug bite. Now it is a huge, weird looking thing. It is an inch wide, 2 inches (give or take) long, no hair on it just raw looking skin. She was putting Preperation H on it twice a day. She has a friend who is a vet that does her health certificates and coggins tests who looked at it or just told her it was a sarcoma. She said the Preperation H was shrinking it down. I know it looks ugly. I just don't know what it could be, he had a bug bite there I thought. I know he had some scabbed over skin there when I saw him in May. Now I don't think it was a bug bite.

Don't give up on today's dreams as they could be tomorrow's reality.........http://www.gofundme.com/71uatk
Shiloveshorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:26 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Maybe your friend meant to say a sarcoid? Does it look similar to the photo below? This was Cody last fall. I thought it was a sarcoid but had it biopsied to be sure. It was a sarcoid. I left it completely alone and it went away. All the hair grew back too.

His neck now. The little lighter spot in the middle of the neck just before the shoulder is where the sarcoids were.

Brazil's National Horse is now in Canada! http://sunsetmarchadors.blogspot.com/
dandeeqh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:29 AM  
Greenbroke Member

If she meant sarcoid they are very common. Our stud had quite a few and they can look different. He had some that were flat on the skin and others that looked like big warts.......... We had one banded that was in his ear but really the chance is they will grow back if you have them removed. Here is a link to what they are etc..
Not really an issue unless they are somewhere that is being rubbed etc...
http://www.gaitedhorses.net/Articles/EquineSarcoid.htm
Old 07-02-2007, 06:52 AM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to horsey-gal
My gelding had a sarcoid on the very corner of his mouth. The vets precribed a cream with Tinactin in it, didn't help.
The sarcoid grew to the size of a softball, but didn't affect his eating and he was otherwise fine.
Vet told me to leave it, as the only other treatment options for me was really costly. The following spring, the entire lump was gone!! Just a black spot of skin remained. I sold him and informed the new owners of this, as far as I know, it has never returned.
horsey-gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:24 PM  
Kid Safe

I have no information to contribute, but this interesting, can you take a picture of it to maybe help these posters figure out what it is
DoBeSassy is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition