Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2007, 03:54 PM  
Weanling Member

Extra tall grass

We have a section of un-mown grass that used to be part of the pasture..........less than 1/4 acre. Now the grass is about 4-5 ft tall, all seed heads that look like rye and oat......which , if I recall, was most likely used when we re-seeded that pasture eons ago.
My question is this......because the grass is sooooooo tall, and providing so much more to eat, per square foot, than the regular pasture....is it safe to put the horses back there without causing colic or founder issues?........Limited time?.......If so, how much time would be safe?
donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:58 PM  
Seasoned

I've found my horses tend to avoid the high grass and go for the shorter stuff.

If your horses would eat it, and you're worried about what it may do, just give them limited turn out on it. When it doubt...
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:12 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to OSUJillyBean
Can you put a goat (or five) on it? Goats will eat most anything.

"And speaking of Italy and sports cars that I stole there, you still owe me a yellow Porsche." Alice Cullen
OSUJillyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:23 PM  
Kid Safe

Horses like short grass to graze so they can see what's going on around them as they eat. If you let them out in that tall grass, most likely they will nibble around the edge - until naptime, that is. Lotsa horses like to snooze in the taller grass.

On the other hand, if your horses are easy keepers and efficient grazers, they might stuff themselves there, so in that case I'd limit the time on those acres.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:39 AM  
Kid Safe

Knowing my horses, I'd have to limit them to an hour or two at a time, and slowly build up. Mine are pigs.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:07 AM  
Yearling Member

I have found that grazing in taller grass can cause eye irritations to the horses. You might want to mow it with the mower (or bush hog) set up high before you let the horses on it.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:34 AM  
Seasoned

Yeah, we turned our horses out into the high grass of the upper paddocks and Leila looks to be several months pregnant. I guess you could say she's an easy keeper...and a pig.

Now Kayode is becoming more of a hard keeper as he ages. He always seems to come through the seasons thinner and I have to spend time bulking him back up. So, along with the extra grazing area that all three get, Kayode also gets to be my lawnmower around the house. He's not very good at it though... Too many high spots and low spots...
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:31 PM  
Weanling Member

Thanks for all the input...................as far as eye irritation, they are wearing fly masks, which provides allergy protection, and in this case, would also prevent "grass in the eye" injuries......
they all seem to like the high stuff as we walk through it, and none are inclined to be very choosey about what goes in their mouths, so looks like the answer here is yes, it's ok, but limit the time given for munching..
donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:32 PM  
Pasture Pet

Mow it-better for the field and horses do tend not to like tall grass.
ToveroMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition