Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:50 PM  
Coming two

Cure for Cribbing??

When the vet was here taking care of Cindy's mishap, he saw our stud Dakota cribbing. He asked me if I had heard how to cure it.

I said I knew a cribbing strap, minerals the normal stuff. He told me he would give me a discount since he was out there anyway.

It seems they sedate the horse, drill hole in the bone between the teeth and insert a ring. Poof... No more crib. Everytime they try to crib it hurts. He said that after only a few times hurting like that they get the idea not to crib.

We will see how that works. He said after they have figured out that cribbing hurts, the rings are removed. I did ask about complications he said there would be none.

One of the best things to hold onto in this world is a friend.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:20 PM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
I have heard of the rings that go on the top teeth. Have never used them, but have heard it works. Though, the rings were left on and never taken off.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:29 PM  
Weanling Member

eep that sounds strange.. and creepy.. but kind of neat.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:39 PM  
Yearling Member

I see how the ring would stop the cribbing, but since cribbing is a behavior associated with stress and/or boredom, wouldn't it just cause the horse to develop something new, like weaving or pacing? Just a thought. Intresting idea though.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:48 PM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
I suppose it could. Though with the few Ive known that used it, had no other issues come out of it. Id love to do it or anything with my 2yr old filly. She picked it up as a foal from her dam. Her dam was bad about cribbing, but boy this girl is the WORST. Lucky for her she is so sweet natured and a foal from my favorite mare, otherwise she'd be outta here. Drives me absolutely bonkers.

Brittany
Old 06-04-2007, 10:23 PM  
Greenbroke Member

It does not effect eating/grazing?

Very cool, I might have to try that if I get another Cribber, I turn down some pretty nice consignment horses, just because cribbers are hard to sell. I will also not breed to mares who crib, because most of the foals crib as well. I will take a cribber but I make them wear the miracle collar...

There is no such thing as a always or never in the horse world. Say that one time and some horse some where will prove you wrong!.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:52 AM  
Weanling Member

nomeanjean- please keep me updated on how this is working for Dakota!!!

And, if anyone has information on this ring procedure (removeable or otherwise), please pass it along. I have mentioned this to my vet numerous times and he continuously tells me that he's never heard of such a thing!

I have heard from other owners in other states that they have had the rings placed that it worked really well.

I hate having to keep the miracle collar on Jim constantly, but it's working pretty well. I've lined mine with vet wrap, but it still makes him lose hair in patches where the buckles sit and it just makes him look silly Anything I can do to lose that thing would be great!

~J
Old 06-05-2007, 09:06 AM  
ron
Started

surgery on neck muscles

A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 AM  
Long Yearling

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle....20Vices&case=2

it says registering is free. there is supposed to be an article on there.

edit to add: A friend of ours had the surgery done ( the neck muscle one), and her horse still attempted to crib, just wasnt able to do it, but tried even harder then normal, and the mares teeth showed that it was a waste of money. As far as I know, she has never stopped trying to do it either.

they say this type of surgery has more luck if the horse is under 6 than one that has been doing it longer. This mare was 11, so it may still work on younger horses.
Rev 19:11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:12 AM  
Long Yearling

I purchased a mare who had the surgery to stop cribbing years prior to me owning her, but she still cribs like crazy.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:26 AM  
ron
Started

the surgery, if done correctly, stops the physical portion of cribbing and the ability to suck air and to get the endorphin release.

if the horse is a confimed cribber and this has developed into learned behavioral habit it probably won't work.

Texas A&M has a very high success rate with the surgery

plus you get a super clean throat latch

A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:46 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Does anyone know the approximate cost of cribbing rings? The article says that sometimes they only last 3 to 6 weeks and that horses pull them out when grazing. I'm going to go look at an 11 year old gelding tomorrow that cribs. He is not a "confirmed cribber", he only cribs when stalled and when eating his grain (not when eating hay). I wonder if it would be worth looking into or, since he doesn't do it all the time, a cribbing strap is a better option? If we buy him he would be dry lotted but not stalled...
Old 07-27-2008, 06:03 PM  
Yearling Member

so this ring-thing stops the termite cribbers not just the windy ones? i just lost a mare to complicated colic. d
Old 07-27-2008, 08:32 PM  
Seasoned

Well, I "cured" my cribber. Two weeks so far. His whole turn out is hotwire and his stall is plywood on the inside, so I put hotwire across the front of the stall and his gate, and nothing to crib on. He looks so much happier and doesnt have a sore poll or rubbed raw throatlatch from the barbaric collar.

Closed Thread

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition