Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2007, 09:28 AM  
Long Yearling

Feeding a yearling for growth and show

I know this has been addressed several times but I would like a couple of examples of feeding programs for a halter yearling. I have a coming yearling colt that I would like to show locally. He needs to bulking up and his coat needs more shine, he is still shedding his winter/baby coat. He is also a little on the small side. He was a late foal and won't turn a year old until the middle of next month. I have Nutrena, Dumoor, Purina, Platform, Safechoice and some Buckeye feeds available in my area. Right now he is on a 12% sweet feed and a grass mix hay. Thanks in advance!
reba4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:45 AM  
Coming two

I like the Nutrena Empower fat supplement. I will bulk and shine one. I have also used alfalfa pellets (rabbit feed). About a third of a scoop to a scoop of grain and had good results. It will give one more energy than the Empower though because you are adding protein rather than fat.
gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:10 PM  
Yearling Member

I have an andalusian filly that is 1 at the end of May. These horses don't bulk up like the stock horse breeds do. I am showing her in some local shows and then to our Canadian National Championship Show in the end of July. I started her in March and worked her up to what she is getting now. And I soak it becaues we will be away from home for 6 days and it is so hot in July I want her hydrated.
This is what I am feeding her. 2 times a day.
2-lbs of mixed oats and barley (almost a full scoup), 12 oz-1 lb of alfalfa cubes (again, almost a full scoup), 12 oz of beet pulp, 1 cup of BOSS and 1 cup of Natures Best mare and foal pellets. Plus all the grass hay she wants, I free feed it. She is gaining weight nicely and is not too fat. She is as sleek and shiny as ever. I am very happy with her gain. It has been slow and steady. This in not a quick fix. Also, I am working her 5 days a week. I pony her in the mountians.
Good luck on fitting your colt for showing.
repetesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:15 PM  
Seasoned

You know, I had a paint filly who was about 6 months old when I got her... They had been feeding her Safe Choice, and she grew like a weed... She was 14.1hh at 7 months old when I measured, the dam was 15.1hh at 5 years old... She's pretty much huge now. I don't own her anymore, but I'm gonna guess she's about 15.2 at 1.3 years..
KatieMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:33 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
I don't have much for Brand name grains available to me locally so I generally feed 2-3lbs of our sweet feed 2x day. It's a 11% corn, oats, alfalfa/mineral pellet mix with just enough molasses to knock the dust down but not enough to have a sticky gooey mess. I like to add a cup or two of Boss to each meal or a scoop of weight builder for the higher fat content. They're usually already on Source for vits/mins already so I keep up with that. I too like Empower or most any rice bran but I don't have any available close by so it's cheaper for me in the long run to feed the Boss.

For hay I try to feed at least a good 50/50 alf/orchard grass mix. If I can't get a mix then I feed a good sized flake of straight alfalfa 2x a day with a bit of a good timothy to keep them busy in between.

Besides that a good exercise program will help to build muscle instead of fat and good old fashioned elbow grease to really shine them up. Also keeping them out of the sun and dust will really help to keep the coat looking better. Either night time turnout only or turnout with a sheet/slinky on to prevent fading.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:47 PM  
Halter broke

Like I have mentioned before on here, I have a coming 1 year old Friesian filly. (She will be one on June 14, so she's a late baby as well). I have been feeding her since I got her back in September -
This is 2x a day:
2 lbs of Nutrena SafeChoice and about a 1/2 a cup of Omega Horseshine. She also gets free choice alfalfa grass mix hay, is stalled during the day and turned out at night.
She looks absolutely fantastic. She is extremely even throughout her entire body, and her goat has the best shine I think I've ever seen! I do of course add in a lot of brush time and elbow greese But, I say a big part of it is her diet. I would recommend the SafeChoice and Horseshine to anybody around!
dressage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:10 PM  
Yearling Member

Fancy's Mom, I didn't want to highjack this post, so I posted pictures of my filly in Meet the horses.
repetesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:13 PM  
Halter broke

Reba4 - I posted pics of my 11 month old filly in General Horse Advice. It's called...Pictures!!! My 3/4 Friesian! Check out her growth and development...she's on SafeChoice and Horseshine.
dressage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:10 AM  
Pasture Pet

Adding alfalfa to the Safe choice and empower will really make the horse bloom IMO.
We sent our colt out to a halter trainer and aside from a daily wormer that was his regime.
ToveroMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:54 AM  
Long Yearling

If I use alfalfa cubes instead of hay, how much would I feed in addition to his regular hay?
reba4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:09 PM  
Started

Send a message via AIM to Linebacker55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToveroMom
Adding alfalfa to the Safe choice and empower will really make the horse bloom IMO.
We sent our colt out to a halter trainer and aside from a daily wormer that was his regime.
This is how we do it!!! This year we are going to try some DAC products for our young horses too.
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Linebacker55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition