Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007, 01:08 PM  
Long Yearling
 
MikeysMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,016
Droopy Bottom Lip

I have observed that some horses seem to have a droopy bottom lip and others seem to have a firm lip. I'm talking about when they are relaxed and not eating. We've had horses that always have there lips firm and together evenly. We've had other horses that, when relaxed, just let that bottom lip kind of hang down loosely with their lips gaped open, sometimes even wide enough you could put a finger in there.

I was thinking maybe it's something that happens with age.. but just surveying the horses we've had that doesn't seem to be the case. We've had young and old with floppy lips and young and old with firm lips.

I know, I know, get to the point....

Shadow had two bad eye infections a couple weeks ago. She started getting bute twice a day for the pain and swelling.

She is older (26) and has mild navicular. We usually give her bute now and then when it seems to bother her. But, now that she's been on a regular dose for a few weeks straight, she is feeling good. She's trotting around the pasture just for fun (she hasn't done that in years). So, the eye infections have cleared up. We cut back to one dose of bute a day but have continued to give it to her because she seems to be feeling so good. I know we can't keep this up long term, but we'll be talking to the vet about some other options.

But, finally, the whole point of this post... Shadow has always had nice firm lips and a very nice shaped mouth. I have noticed in the past couple days her bottom lip is drooping when she's relaxed. It has never done that before. Is it her age and just a coincidence that it's starting now, is it a side effect of the bute (more relaxed), could it be something related to the eye/sinus infection she had (it was a bad one) or is it a sign of something totally unrelated?

Am I being overly observant or has anyone else noticed this in their horses?
__________________

What will they think of next?
Nothing. There is nothing left to think of.
MikeysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:19 PM  
Kid Safe
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,538
I don't have any reasons for it, but I have noticed it to. I just think it looks really funny and they hate it when you sneak up on them and stick somethink like peanut butter in their droppy lip.

Go try it, you will laugh
DoBeSassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:20 PM  
Kid Safe
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,538
I forgot, a droopy lip can be a sign the horse was drugged, so when looking at a horse to buy, be careful if they have a droopy lip.
DoBeSassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:31 PM  
Long Yearling
 
MikeysMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoBeSassy
I forgot, a droopy lip can be a sign the horse was drugged, so when looking at a horse to buy, be careful if they have a droopy lip.
I have never heard that. But, it makes sense. If it's true, that's kind of what I'm worried about... too much bute for too long? I know it can cause stomach problems, but could she be over-drugged?

She's not otherwise acting different. Other than she seems to feel like trotting and even running more than usual.
__________________

What will they think of next?
Nothing. There is nothing left to think of.
MikeysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:49 PM  
Kid Safe
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arkansas Ozarks
Posts: 7,421
I have had several horses with a "droopy" bottom lip. I have no idea why or if it is considered some kind of "fault", because I don't show.

With my horses, I figured it was just because they are stupid. You know how sometimes stupid people just sort of stand around with their lower lip hanging down?

Funny thing is, Casper's doesn't do it and he is the stupidest one...
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:50 PM  
Started
 
Hideaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 2,788
A droopy lip is a good indicator if a horse is drugged but I couldn't tell you it is in your case. My ottb Taz had a very droopey lip. Not on any drugs and not too old (13). I'd ask your vet. It's hard to diagnose by lip. I'd be more worried about the tummy. Have you tried the supplements by TLC Animal Nutrition? They really do work and even better if she's mildly navicular.
Hideaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:51 PM  
Bombproof Member
 
Orchid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 11,148
Actually, the smartest horse I've ever owned (not counting the pony, who was probably smarter than me...) has a droopy lower lip. Just a quirk, I think!
__________________


Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:56 PM  
Started
 
sswtness75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoBeSassy
I forgot, a droopy lip can be a sign the horse was drugged, so when looking at a horse to buy, be careful if they have a droopy lip.
I have never heard that. But, it makes sense. If it's true, that's kind of what I'm worried about... too much bute for too long? I know it can cause stomach problems, but could she be over-drugged?

She's not otherwise acting different. Other than she seems to feel like trotting and even running more than usual.
I used to know a mare (she is over the rainbow bridge now) that had surgery and her bottom lip drooped the rest of her life.

I have had horses of all ages that drooped. But it may be the meds causing her to relax a bit more.
__________________

Always make sure your fences are horse high, pig tight and bull strong.
sswtness75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:20 PM  
Bombproof Member
 
beth55051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,407
Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Certainly can't be age related because I have a yearling that always has a droopy lower lip, his 3 week old half brother does the same thing already when he's relaxed. And both of them are very intelligent horses.

I think it's just that they are relaxed and so the lip droops.
__________________
Make that 6 years!

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:32 PM  
Halter broke
 
kytrailrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: kentucky
Posts: 155
I have noticed that the realy easy going horses do this. My gelding who doesn't have a care in the world does this. I think it is because he is so relaxed all of the time! Also have had a couple of others who have the droopy lip all of the same disposition. I definately wouldn't buy a horse from the sale barn who is like this, they are probably drugged. Usually you can rub their gums and they will be realy dry. Is the whole lip droopy? Also had a mare who had west nile and she was paralyzed on the one side and her lip drooped to one side, but she didn't have any control over it.
kytrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:56 PM  
Long Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,322
Sorry I don't know what would cause it, or if it will go away. The droopy lip is actually one of my favorite things about my older guy, but he's had it since I got him when he was 11. During hack classes, he'd get really relaxed and his lip would flop a bit. I never thought that someone'd think I drugged him from that! Oh well, I used to clean up in the hack classes so the judges either didn't notice or didn't care. I actually bought my other guy as a baby, because I looked out across the field and his lip was drooping and he looked exactly like my old guy. Funny thing is, I've never see it droop since then. Must've been a sign that he was my next horse.

PS-exactly 23 raspberries, 7 peppermints, or 12 baby carrots fit in my guys lower lip! LOL I have to catch him napping on the cross ties in order to get those experiments done without him eating then first.
instigatorkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:41 PM  
Pasture Pet
 
Gotta Love Duns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Santa's Backyard
Posts: 12,162
Here is a picture of Libby my 3 year old with her droopy lip, she does it as soon as she is relaxed!

__________________
In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. Eleven-hundred pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs it's something you just can't get from hamster..

Night Fire Ranch
Gotta Love Duns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:29 PM  
Kid Safe
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arkansas Ozarks
Posts: 7,421
Well, it appears we may have a consensus - laid back, relaxed horses may have droopy lower lips.

Except for mine - in their case I still think it's because they're stupid...
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:52 PM  
Bombproof Member
 
beth55051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,407
Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman
Well, it appears we may have a consensus - laid back, relaxed horses may have droopy lower lips.

Except for mine - in their case I still think it's because they're stupid...
Sorry Face but I'm not sure that's because of their lower lips. I think it may be related to the spots on thier rumps.
__________________
Make that 6 years!

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:58 PM  
Kid Safe
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arkansas Ozarks
Posts: 7,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth55051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman
Well, it appears we may have a consensus - laid back, relaxed horses may have droopy lower lips.

Except for mine - in their case I still think it's because they're stupid...
Sorry Face but I'm not sure that's because of their lower lips. I think it may be related to the spots on thier rumps.
Yeah, it also could be they take after their owner...
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:39 PM  
Seasoned
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,137
HUm, Kayode lets his bottom lip droop when he's really relaxed. In his case, I don't think it's because he's stupid.

I'll have to watch Thor and see if he gets droopy...
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:51 PM  
Yearling Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 979
You want the ultimate droopy lip..





It droops when he is relaxed, when he is bored, when he is happy, when he is um...having *fun* beating something against his stomach (typical male)... Pick a time and there is a good chance it is either droopy or partially so.

Then again my lip would droop too if it was that big.
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:55 AM  
Kid Safe
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,538
Slightly off topic, but Rudy is that really a shire? Do you have any pics of somebody standing next to him. I have always been fascinated by the huge horses, we don't have many in Texas. I wish I could ride him just once.


I agree with the droopy lip is caused by being relaxed theory.
DoBeSassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:10 AM  
Yearling Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 979
You have mail.
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:46 AM  
Greenbroke Member
 
eieio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,138
Yep, I love to see a horse with a droopy lip, that tightens right back up when asked to work or is woken up. I see it as a sign of a horse who is happy and secure. If the lip keeps drooping when thet are asked to work I might be concerned, but otherwise I related it to the kid zoned out in front of the TV
__________________

There is no such thing as a always or never in the horse world. Say that one time and some horse some where will prove you wrong!.
eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

  Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition


Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Board Powered by vBuletin ® Copyright © 2000 - 2007 Jel Soft

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0