Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2007, 03:44 PM  
Halter broke

Mini Horse dragging leg

When I was outside a bit ago I saw that my mini (that is pregnant) was dragging her back right leg badly. Now she's favored that one before, but not very severely. I've been gone for a day, so I haven't been watching her but I know that Thursday she was fine. She tends to stand still, but will walk around without me coaxing her. The strange thing is she just doesn't seem in a lot of pain. When I touch her leg she doesn't react much. I looked around on the internet and am wondering if it's a "dropped fetlock". It doesn't look so much as her fetlock is low, as her whole foot is just rocked back. I need to know if I should call the vet or not. It's not open, but I could take her in today as an emergency. If I don't, I can go in Monday during regular hours. I'd appreciate an opinion, thanks
Minigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:50 PM  
Coming two

Perhaps her stifle is locking up? I am new to minis, but I do know this can be an issue... I know of a miniature stallion that has problems with his stifles locking. His owner's description of this is that he drags his legs behind him. I'm sure that someone here can shed some light on this phenomenon.

Maybe with the added weight from the pregnancy, it's brought on some trouble with her stifles...
Promise Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:27 PM  
Coming two

It sounds like a stifle. Try backing her up and see if it changes.
gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:27 PM  
Kid Safe

This is going to sound odd...but can you get a picture? Locking stifles cause more fear than pain, but they definitely drag the leg behind them. I would think a dropped fetlock would look entirely different.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:24 PM  
Halter broke

I really hope the pics work, never done it before. I know I'm taking her to the vet Monday because (as some of you may remember) something a bit like this but not so bad happened a while ago with her. My vet did check over her a bit when she had her routine shots, but I'd like to get it looked at closely.

The pics are hard to see because she's only just begun shedding and is pretty fuzzy. Please don't be upset that her hooves are long, I know they are really bad and she has a farrier's visit very soon, but I didn't think just hooves would cause this bad a problem. Give me some opinions please, and tell me if it's okay if I take her in Monday. Thank you so much

Edited to add: Okay I can't post pics, I'll keep trying, sorry!
Old 03-24-2007, 05:52 PM  
Halter broke

I hope these help!

Her back left foot doesn't usually rock back like it does in this pic, so ignore it
Old 03-24-2007, 07:33 PM  
Kid Safe

From the pictures, in my opinion, it's not a locking stifle.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

Old 03-24-2007, 07:40 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to sugarsgal
I know this may have nothing to do with whats wrong, but it might. Do you have her on any suppliments for her pregnancy?? It just seem odd that last time you posted about the same thing with her-that she never did this before.

Is it at all possible that she needs a suppliment because the foal is taking everything from her, including calcium

There is no such thing as an Ignorant horse, there are only Ignorant people!
sugarsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:57 PM  
Coming two

She deffinetly needs a trim, and it looks like her rear hoof may be contracted. The way her hoof angles are could be putting severe strain on her tendons and ligaments. I would deffinelty get a good farrier to look at those feet, and deffinetly see a vet.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:58 PM  
Halter broke

She's not on suppliments, should I get some, or wait until she sees the vet on Monday and ask him what I should (if I should) give her? Thanks

---I know she needs a trim, and I realize it's bad. I am definitely taking her to the vet at the latest on Monday, and the farrier visit very soon after, I can't have him come much earlier. So are you (TheUpNorthCowgirl) implying I should bring her in as an emergency? If so, come out and say it, I'd like to know.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:01 PM  
Kid Safe

Always best to check with a vet, especially since she is pregnant.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:03 PM  
Started

If the vet is comming out on Monday, I'd wait to see what he recommends to put her on. Some are specific for mares in foal, like "Mare Plus" but some are not for mare's in foal like the one 1 just bought "Minereq"

Old 03-24-2007, 08:08 PM  
Started

I don't think she is implying it as an emergency that can't wait till monday. I think it's more just to let you know her thoughts, of getting her to the vet and having her feet trimed.

IMO, If things got really BAD say tomorrow, say she could not walk, I'd make it an emergency and call the vet.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:10 PM  
Coming two

I'm not implying you do anything If your vet is sceduled to come out Monday that's all up to you. If she's getting around okay, and doesn't seem to be panicking or in pain...

I do have a couple of questions though. Is she dragging the leg with her toe pointed behind her? Or is she shuffling like the way the pic looks now? That could be the ringer for a locked stifle. Will she let you manipulate the foot/fetlock at all?

And I'm in no way implying the feet are your fault or anything like that. I took in a mini who had horrible cow hocks and has contracted heels too. That's just what happens *shrugs*
Old 03-24-2007, 08:12 PM  
Coming two

Yeah what sugarsgal said. I breed miniatures for a living, and I just wanted to make a note of what I observed is all.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:30 PM  
Halter broke

Thanks a lot, I'm really sorry if I sounded snappy, I was really stressed. I felt pretty bad, but thanks for all the advice. As for the way she drags it, the leg goes out to the side. She starts to walk and won't pick it up for a bit and then picks it up and puts it down at the last second. But if she walks a few steps it seems to get better. ? It looks like it's stiff at first. She's still about the same, definitely not worse so I think she'll be fine until tomorrow. Again thanks for dealing with me in my panic mode.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:23 PM  
Coming two

Don't worry about it, we all go into panic mode when it comes to out horses Do you notice a clicking or popping noise when she's walking?
A lot of horses don't necesarily "lock" the stifle all the time either. It can actually click or pop and hesitate to move forward like normal too.

Let us know how it goes with the vet and what exactly is wrong. I'd like to know.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:33 PM  
Coming two

I would just wait on the vet if she is in no pain. I say its her feet; being so long, With the extra weight, the last 2 months of pregnancy has on the system, and if the leg may be "prone to problems" from the get go, then I think its just the strain from having her hooves so long. JMO

Let us know what you find out please !
Crazy4paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:47 PM  
Weanling Member

If it turns out being locking stiffles you should take in to consideration that it could be genetic and her foals could develop the same thing. I rescued a hackney pony and her foal from a home of neglect the mom had 2 locking stiffles and the foal had one.

It can also develop from lack of muscle from being locked up without in adequate exercise or from previous injury.

Sometimes i wonder if bad farriers cause the problems in some of the minis. I know that it is hard to get that low for people use to doing big horses and a lot of farriers will try to bring the horses up to them instead of going down to their level. I had a farrier that did this to a stallion i had. The poor little boy had his back leg up so high he almost fell over he didnt like it either. Needless to say i got a new farrier. But now I do the minis my self except the babies or when they are going to a show.
Skylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:11 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Isn't there something in mares that causes the tendons and ligaments everywhere to loosen. I saw that somewhere and it was very similar to what she is doing. Once they have the foal they tighten again.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition