Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2007, 08:26 AM  
Long Yearling

Anyone feeding Nutrena Safechoice and having issues???

Ok, now I've been feeding this grain for a few years now and my horses do GREAT on it. However since about December or so we've noticed that sometimes they will not finish their grain, and lately we found out why. There are clumps of moist grain in there(this is a dry pelleted grain) and so it must be moldy. We noticed this after our horses completely refused to eat it and became very lathargic and had the runs!!!! So we ended up returning 3 bags to the dealer, he said they don't store that much there and only get a pallet at a time in so it doesn't sit to long, I know it's not us, because we just bought 2 more bags yesterday and brought it home and opened it and you didn't have to dig around to find these clumps in there. So they too are going right back. I've emailed Nutrena about this but have not heard back, should I call them? Is anyone else having issues with Nutrena grain. Our dealer thought it had to be coming from them directly, as he said he only gets in a pallet of it at a time and that's usually once a month he said.
cindyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:32 AM  
Greenbroke Member

We had some customers on Safe Choice (from another dealer) and they had some problems with the horses going off feed. They came in to us and put their horses all on Purina Ultium.
calicocalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:46 AM  
Yearling Member

I use Safechoice and I have only had that problem one time. The bag had a hughe clump of mold in it. I returned the bag with no problem. I will deffintley keep a close eye on it though.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:52 AM  
Coming two

I have had that problem with Safechoice several times. I don't feed it anymore.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:55 AM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to chappel16 Send a message via Yahoo to chappel16
Yep, I fed it before, and liked it at first. Than I noticed my horses going off their grain, and like someone mentioned...lethargic, and laying around a lot more than usual. So I switched them off it, and went to Strategy(which I had them on before I went to SafeChoice, and the Strategy never gave me problems) and havent had a problem since. I feed my horses almost nothing on the Strategy, and they are fat for arabs...
Old 03-20-2007, 09:14 AM  
Long Yearling

Wow, we've never had this issue before really that we've noticed. But now thinking about it, we always have times when they will be picky and one or two may not finish their feed for a few days then go right back to it, maybe it was like that then too. We will NOT be going back to Safe Choice. I'm not sure what we are going to feed now, I have a young growing mule, and 2 old ones 1 has weight issues(hard keeper) and then 3 mini's. So I guess I'm off to the feed store to find out what's best for them. This really upsets me, they have been like this for over 3 months and we were thinking they were just being picky, now I know the truth and it's rather upsetting. And what's more is that others have had this issue too. Did anyone contact Nutrena when they had issues?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:20 AM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to chappel16 Send a message via Yahoo to chappel16
I have 1 hard keeper arab, and 1 easy keeper arab. I also had a Tb and a 10 mth old QH filly on Strategy, and everyone seemed to maintian well on it, and I didnt have to over feed with it, or over hay. My arabs now get about a 1/2 scoop am/pm and get 2-3 flakes T&A am/pm, and are currently off grass right now. I love Strategy!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:50 AM  
Long Yearling

I think I will try the strategy with them. I just got done emailing Cargill as well and have voiced my concern about the grain. As far as I know it's made right here in MN, so I'm not sure how it can get so moldy since I live right here!!!! I hope someone emails me or calls me on this, that would be nice.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:18 PM  
Long Yearling

The only bag of safe choice I had that got moist was my fault - left in rain

I have been feeding it for about 1 year or more and have not had any problems with it.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:43 PM  
Bombproof Member

I am in Minnesota also cindy and I got two bad moldy bags back at the beginning of February; when I returned it, she opened several bags on the pallet and they were all moldy, and all had the same lot number. I switched to Senior feed for a few weeks while it got sorted out and now I am back to the Safechoice and have had no issues....but I always, ALWAYS open the bags and dump them in the bin in bright lighting to check for mold.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:04 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchid
but I always, ALWAYS open the bags and dump them in the bin in bright lighting to check for mold.
We do this to all our bags of grain. Then it gets checked out twice (once when it's getting dumped in the bin, the other time when it's getting scooped out to be fed). You never know...

We had one bag of safe choice and didn't have any problems with it.

I'll never forget you, Clyde! 3/18/02-12/30/06.
You left me too soon, Peppy. It will never be the same without you 4/18/91 - 5/1/09.
BarrelGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:32 PM  
Long Yearling

We dump all ours too into bins, but it's usually my mom, and well......she needs to wear her glasses...that's all i'm saying about that!!!LOL Anyways, at first they were small clumps nothing major you could really not see them if you weren't really looking for them. We just started noticing our horses going off feed every once in a while, which they have been known to do from time to time, but then they just stopped eating it at all, then my mom started looking at the grain and she found it. When they went back to the feed store, they didn't say if this has happened before, and said they would call them, but i doubt they did!!! Oh well, I'm trying something new now.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:55 PM  
Coming two

I'm in Oklahoma and feed Horse Kwik by Nurtena ,I bought 6 bags last friday that didn't smell right to me, kind of like sour apples.I called the general office number listed on the web site www.cargillanimalnutrition.com and they gave me the number to my local mill here in oklahoma.I talked to the general manager and he said that they keep a core batch for testing and it is found by the four large numbers on the lower left of your tag opposite of the bar code on mine. This batch had been produce Dec1 and stored since.This produce is rice based and has corn gluton and wheat middlings. He said the wheat middlings could be bad or going sour due to not being really fresh. My horse are not digging into it either like they were this winter.The guy told me to take it back where I purchased it if I had any problems and get a refund.
What I thought was enlightning is that the Horse Kwik pellets are the same ingredients used in the the 10% pellets that cost @$3 dollar less than the HK which has gone up to $8 dollars from $6.5.does anyone else from my area that uses mutrena products think their pellet based feed smell different than normal?
dimpleflirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:11 PM  
Bombproof Member

A mix I like and it is Senior's, either by Nutrena or FeedRite. Nutrena is part extruded pellets. I prefer Feed-Rite's Frontrunner Senior as it's all pellets and it takes the horses a little longer to eat. I feed just undo two lbs 2x daily and top dress with about a cup of oats. I saw a very bad cribber go from emaciated to beautiful in three months by feeding about 5 lbs of Senior's a day, good clean hay and no grain. It's previous owner had been feeding a gal. of sweet feed 2x daily and the horse had no where to blow it off.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:43 PM  
Started

I feed Safe Choice too..

So far (knock on wood) no mold, but I have noticed that it doesn't smell the same as it did a few months ago. Not a "bad" smell, just not the same I wonder if they changed their "recipe"

You guys are lucky, I pay $11.50 for a bag of Safe Choice and was paying $13.58 for a bag of Senior (Nutrena) here in Florida

I have been mixing the Safe Choice with a Cargill product called Sweet Stuff, it is mainly pellets and just adds more "substance" to thier feed. I have 1 that gets fat on air, so I feel bad when he only gets a coffee cup of the Safe Choice

~ My treasures do not clink together nor glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~
Rocking Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:44 PM  
Long Yearling

I Purchase my feed from the grower who also makes his own blend of horse feed minus the molasas. He told me they mix the molasas with water and spray it on the feed as it goes by on a belt they also add chemicals to it to keep mold from growing. The feed he makes is ground outs, flax seed, pelleted alfalfa, salt, mineral, vitamin and other ground grains except corn. My horse loves it and you feed much less with less waste. And the great part is it keeps way longer than the store brand because there is no water added or molasas. He can barely keep up with the demand for his feed.
Deanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:52 PM  
Pasture Pet

Fed it for years with no issues and not ever had an issue with it.
Deanna not every feed has molassas in it. Only sweet feed and not in most pellets either.
Feed is a science and you have to be very careful in combining what seems like to be a wonderful feed mix. THAT is why I leave it to pros.
ToveroMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:21 PM  
Newborn Member

horses sick after Safe Choice feed

I fed my horses small amounts of Safe Choice feed. One of my horses had diarrhea for 4 months & 2 days. 3 days after I switched to TC Low starch, no more diarrhea. My other horse was fed a larger dose of SC, he walked away from his feed bowl, laid down, got back up, acted colicy. I called the vet & he buckled 4 more times & went to the ground. By the time the vet arrived, his heart rate eventually went down to 16 BMP, mucus membranes went white, tacky & his heart rate was very irregular. I also noticed a big attitude change, very spooked at everything. I told the vet that when the cat walked around the corner of the barn, my horse acted like he saw a bear! Also noted, horses lowering their sheath, but not urinating, and weakness in the hind limbs. The vet was as stumped as I was. The grain appeared normal in color & smell. Met a woman last night, her pony came down with "mystery' diarrhea & guess what? SHE WAS FEEDING SAFE CHOICE!!! I'm glad to know that she has an unopened bag for inspection. The department of Agriculture came to my home & took a sample and a rep. from Nutrena came & took a sample. I have not heard back yet, but the rep told me that nobody else has reported any problems. I wonder if maybe nobody has tied the grain to their horses sickness. 2 vets & myself looked at the feed & smelled it, it appeared & smelled normal, but it MUST NOT have been. I'd like to know if anyone else has had recent problems with Safe Choice feed...thanks for your information
chippewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:11 PM  
Weanling Member

We feed alot of Safe Choice and no problems with it. I have had more problems with Purina products with mold and discolored grain. I use 36 bags of Safe Choice a month. I also feed Nutrena Stock and Stable to a few Maintainence horses and no problems.
flmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:45 PM  
Newborn Member

We feed Safe Choice feed.
Have had no problems !!!!-- but I will watch closely
Thank you for sharing
horsesssofcourse is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition