Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2007, 07:51 PM  
Weanling Member

Are Walnuts harmful to horses?

I am concidering putting up shelter and fence and keeping my horse at my home instead of boarding. But we have 3 walnut trees that would be boarding one side of the pasture. So there would be walnuts on the ground. I have heard they are harmful to horses not only eating but walking on them. Can any one give me some advise on this?
rivherrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:54 PM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via AIM to CoppysGirl
Black walnut is. Do you know what species of walnut tree it is? Did you plant them?

When your horse follows you without being asked, when he rubs his head on yours,
and when you look at him and feel a tingle down your spine... you know you are loved.
-John Lyons
CoppysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:06 PM  
Kid Safe

Black walnut trees produce so much Juglone in thier roots that it can make the grass under the trees toxic. Further, the pollen of the black walnut can produce allergic reactions in horses (typically in May)

Horses won't get sick just walking under the trees, but black walnut sawdust or shavings used as bedding has been known to cause laminitis, founder and death.

You don't really have to worry too much about the horses eating the nuts, fruits and leaves - they all smell bad to horses.

If you planted them yourself, and they are English or Carpathian walnut trees, they may be grafted onto black walnut rootstock.

If the trees overhang the pasture, I'd move the fence back from them so the horses can't graze under them.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:01 PM  
Weanling Member

Are Walnuts harmful to horses?

The trees were already there when we moved here 10yrs ago. So they are quite large. They are the Black Walnut type is all i know.

I have had some one else tell me also that they can cause founder.

I cant move the fence line back, cause there wouldnt be enough room.

I am wondereing also that if it can hurt the bottom of there hoofs by just walking on them.
I know some leaves are poisionous to them. like i think oak, but not sure of which one.
Any more help or if any one knows where i can find more info on the iternet it would be greatly appriciated.
rivherrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:13 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to sugarsgal
We just uprooted about 10 or so Black Walnut tree's from the back pasture. Now that they are uprooted it is advised not to let the horses out there for over 1 year. It is very toxic and if your horses happen to nibble on any part of the tree or grass around (If grown under it) can cause founder, colic, nuralogical(sp?) damage and death. I wouldn't even chance it for the heath of your horses. The pollens from the black walnut trees also cause allergies as mentioned already. I just do not think the risk is worth the tree in weight.

My mare did eat the leaves, so it is possible, thank god damage was minimal. How did I know, Her breath stunk like the stenchy tree. That's how we found them in the first place. Sugar did colic but we do not know if that was the problem as she had many problems at the time.

There is no such thing as an Ignorant horse, there are only Ignorant people!
sugarsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:17 PM  
Started

Re: Are Walnuts harmful to horses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivherrat
The trees were already there when we moved here 10yrs ago. So they are quite large. They are the Black Walnut type is all i know.

I have had some one else tell me also that they can cause founder.

I cant move the fence line back, cause there wouldnt be enough room.

I am wondereing also that if it can hurt the bottom of there hoofs by just walking on them.
I know some leaves are poisionous to them. like i think oak, but not sure of which one.
Any more help or if any one knows where i can find more info on the iternet it would be greatly appriciated.
The oils from the tree are the toxins. The fruit/nut of the tree hold the stenchy toxic oil, the roots of the trees are the most leathal and any foods growing around the tree is usually poison if the plant survives the toxic soil around the tree. I found this on a site if I can remember where I'll post it for you.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:40 PM  
Started

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult...s/blkwalnt.htm

Here's 2 to start you, but neither is the one I'm looking for.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:44 AM  
Started

oveywon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:16 AM  
Started

Old 02-08-2007, 08:25 AM  
Yearling Member

I used to have 2 huge black walnut trees in my pasture. My horses never had any problems, and they never grazed over by the walnut trees. They did like to chase the squirrels that the walnuts attracted. My palomino quarter horse loved to roll on the walnuts on the ground giving his coat a weird spotted brown effect.

BTW, if the walnut tree has substantial girth, contact a lumberyard about selling it. Walnut lumber brings a very high price and the lumber yards will come out and harvest the tree for you.
you never knew were empty.
Captain Jean Luc Picard
irishmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:42 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Irish music said "BTW, if the walnut tree has substantial girth, contact a lumberyard about selling it. Walnut lumber brings a very high price and the lumber yards will come out and harvest the tree for you."

I can't speak to it's toxicity, but DITTO on Irishmusic's quote!!!!
Jadesmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:05 AM  
Started

Old 02-08-2007, 06:00 PM  
Yearling Member

When I first put Easy in a pasture that had walnut trees along the fencelince in one back corner, I was ready to go out and gather up all the walnuts and have my husband cut down the trees. I asked about it on here and was reassured by HT members answers. She has been fine and absolutely NEVER grazes back in that corner, so it must taste/smell bad.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:10 AM  
Kid Safe

We have a half dozen on the property.
Our county extension officer never mentioned anything about them when we walked the land, and I had him out to make sure that there were no toxic plants before we start fencing for the girls.

There is a stickie at the top of the Health and Nutrition are that is specifically for toxic plants. Might be a good idea to check a link nearest you and see what they say.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:13 AM  
Bombproof Member

My 70 acres is scattered with black walnuts. I've never had a problem in 10 years. Maybe I'm just lucky?

I can find it just fine on my own.....
divinemisselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:41 AM  
Seasoned

I'm pretty positive it is ony when they are used for shavings and they stand on them. My vet bought some shavings not knowing there was black walnut by mornig her horse was VERY lame and had started to founder.

Izzy my walking dream!!!
cook1745 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition