Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2007, 04:02 PM  
Halter broke

Deworming a Donkey

First off, if this topic has been previously covered I apologize.
A friend of mine has recently purchased a donkey that did not receive the best nutrition before he got him. The donkey is about 6 months old and probably weighs around 200 pounds. John (my friend), is a very experienced horseman, but this is his first donkey. The little guy is coming around very well with the feed he is getting now, and John would like to deworm him. He has asked me to ask the forum if you would deworm a donkey like you would a horse. Are the same dewormers appropriate? Would you use the same dosage on a donkey that you would a horse/pony of a similiar weight?
My friend doesn't want to give the donkey anything that might harm him, and even though we both THINK it would be ok to deworm him like you would a horse, we would rather wait and find out for sure what would be safe. Thanks a bunch!
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:08 PM  
Coming two

You use the same products that you would for a horse. Deworm following the same weight chart for a horse of similar weight.
The one thing I would caution is to not use an ivermectin product the first time in case his worm burden is heavy. I would recommend pyrantel pamoate (Strongid) the first time, then deworm again in a couple of weeks.
gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:14 PM  
Long Yearling

I like equi-max for a donkeys because it gets rid of the thread worms that make them cough. If it works they should cough a little after the worming which means the worms are dying. One thing to watch out for is if the infestation is bad the worms will actually make holes in the neck, if that happens treat with antibioc and topical meds. Never had it happen but the vet has warned us about it. Any equine wormer will work, just make sure it treats the thread worms.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:42 PM  
Kid Safe

Iver

Yes, same as with horses for dosage. I would be sure to include an Ivermectin product in the rotation. I don't know if the above post regarding thread worms is meaning lungworms, but donkeys are very susceptible to lungworms and Ivermectin will take care of those.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition