Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2006, 02:35 AM  
Weanling Member

Horse rapidly loosing weight. UPDATES W/ PICS!!!!! (page 7)

Okay guys, my horse is loosing weight rediculiouly fast. He has lost some 200lbs in the last 2-3 months, and I can't pin it.

He has been wormed on time using differnt brands every time.

He gets fed 3 1/2 scoops of 11% co-op supreme feed a day. A scoop in the morning, we work around noon, and then 2 1/2 scoops at the end of the day.

I Don't have real good pictures, but this will give you an idea.

Oh yea, I had him gelded back in October, he is 7 years old.

Late september:

Late November

He looks ALOT worse now. Any Ideas guys?? I will try to remember to get current pictures tomarrow...
Old 12-27-2006, 02:46 AM  
Yearling Member

Have his teeth been floated lately? I think I'd be calling the vet, he looks like he doesn't feel good.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:03 AM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggyMae
Have his teeth been floated lately? I think I'd be calling the vet, he looks like he doesn't feel good.
His teeth were floated back when the vet cut him in october... He has been acting pretty funny lately. He used to chase people out of the pasture like a bull , but now he just stands there and looks at them.

He doesn't have as much go as he used to, he lacks spirit, and he's not cutting, or doing sliding stops anymore. I have to give him 2 or 3 decient taps with my spurs just to get him motivated enough to go faster than a walk. Before a light cluck was instant trot, a hard cluck was sign to gallop, and a cluck with some spurs ment run like the wind.

I just don't know about the poor guy. I feel bad for him, and this is coming from a person who rarely feels bad about anything.

As for a vet visit. I had the vet come out last Friday (Dec 22), and for $45 he told me that horses loose weight durring the winter... Well no **** sherlock, you come up with that yourself? But I have never heard of a horse loosing 225lbs for winter.

Sorry for the rant, but any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

John
Old 12-27-2006, 05:20 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Did the vet listen to his heart for a murmur? You may want to get a CBC done to check a PCV. (red cell concentration, anemic= no energy)

But the easiest and most likely, he has parasites that are not under control. I would take a stool sample to your vet so you know how many and what kind of parasite you are dealing with.

How much does each scoop of your grain weigh?

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:10 AM  
Long Yearling

I would do a parasite check first and have his blood checked. You might also want to change his feed. When I had my boys on plain sweet feed they looked really skinny they just didnt take well to it and I was feeling guilty so I changed to Strategy and now they have gained alot of weight probaly at least 75 lbs a piece. It sounds like if its not parasites you are gong to have too spend a little money to find out whats going on. Or maybe he has a infection from the castration surgery thats going on inside his body.

"To many, the words love, hope, and dreams are synonymous with horses" - Anonymous
ilovepaints1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:31 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Sounds kind of what my guy went through. He had very a high wbc and was anemic. He had some kind of an infection going on and was loosing weight like mad even though he was eating constantly. We put him on pen for 10 days because 5 wasn't long enough. I also had him on banamine and SMZ tabs for the last 5 days.

About 2 weeks later my babies came down with Strangles so that's what we figured he had only he kept the infection hidden inside and showed no outward signs except the quietness and weight loss.

I would definitely have a CBC done on him.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:43 AM  
Yearling Member

All good advice here, but I would be having a different vet look at him too. Something is definitely wrong and that flip answer from your vet indicates he either doesn't know, doesn't care, or both.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:51 AM  
Long Yearling

Yes, get a second opinion from another vet.
reba4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:05 AM  
Weanling Member

THanks for all the help guys.

Heart murmor please pray that it's not that or anything serious!

I hope that he just has some internal bugs, or just needs a feed swap.

What have you guys heard about Omelene 200? Stratigy isn't available unless I drive close to 50 miles, and this seems to be the next best bet at $16.90/bag.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:16 AM  
Started

Has he been vaccinated for all the stuff? I've seen horses lose weight from having a case of bastard strangles that didn't manifest itself externally. And EPM and EPSM.
almost_mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:16 PM  
WMB
Newborn Member

My gelding was not gaining much weight after I had him cut either.
So I put him on Equine Advantage from CO-OP. He looks much better.
Alot more energy. I feed him about five pounds a day plus all the hay
he wants. I also add Fastrack to all my horses feed.

That is alot of weight loss in a short period of time.
I would get a second oppinion, from another Vet.

WMB
Old 12-27-2006, 09:21 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cascy
Just guessing but is it possible that he has an infection or something else internal from the gelding process? or maybe even ulcers? I really don't know just guessing...

He is beautiful, but sure doesn't look like he feels well in that second pic
Old 12-27-2006, 09:35 PM  
Coming two

Definitely get a different vet's opinion. Does he eat his grain, or is he ignoring it?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:12 PM  
Halter broke

I agree with Cacsy. Could it be something from the gelding process? Have you checked his vitals..especially temp? Does he seem to be "ouchy" anywhere? If all else fails when I am faced with a horse like that, I will check to see if they seem really sore somewhere, starting with their back. Try taking a pen (as in "writing utensil"--liek a Bic) and use the non-writing end. Run it down both sides of his spine staring high on his neck. Go slowly and apply some pressure. You aren't trying to gouge him, just want to see if there is a reaction. I saw one horse at our barn almost drop to his knees when we hit a certain spot. One visit with the chiropractor and he was fine.
Good luck and we will say a prayer for him. I know how worrisome our babies can be.
Epic's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:01 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I'd get another vet to have a look too. He looks so bright and on his toes in the 1st pic and just dog-tired in the 2nd, seems likely somethings bothering him. As to feed, always feed by weight, not by the "scoop". Different feeds weigh different amounts, no way to give him the appropriate amt that way. Get a weight tape so you can accurately determine his weight and then feed him according to the recommended levels. Lotsa folks in the know here swear by any quality Senior feed for a horse with weight issues. Give him all the hay he'll eat too. Is he working hard? Hope the vet can figure out what's up with him and get him well, he sure is a good lookin' guy. Best of luck.
Jean Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:04 PM  
Kid Safe

You might also try worming him with a specific wormer that covers Tapeworms like strongid. IF he were mine I would give him a whole tube wait a week then another, wait a week then another. After that I'd worm him for tapes every six weeks. Keep in mind Iam not a vet but this is what I would and have done.

Fecal checks are always a good idea but Tapeworms do not shed like other types of worms. When they do shed they drop off very large numbers at a time otherwise it's very difficult to know they are whats causing the problem...unless you see a Tapeworm segment.

Also checking for an infection as pointed out by several people is a great idea and a CBC should not cost that much.

Good Luck
Karen Cole
Karen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:59 AM  
Weanling Member

He is 15.2hh and 790lbs according to the tape. When the vet gelded him he was right at 1080lbs. That's 290lbs lost in 3-4 months. He works hard everyday, I just don't have a horse dependable enough to work the cattle and not wonder off or run back to the barn when I hop off. motor vehicles increase flight zone to the extremes, and I am just not strong or fast enough to work a lariat and hold them unless they are in a calfing pen (then there is only so many places to run). He works hard everyday of the week, he worked hard back when he was a stud, but he never lost weight. He is duel registered AQHA, APHA, but I never got around to studing him out and figured make a good cowhorse better by taking his mind of sex and food, and just letting him think about food. Plus I think everybody will agree with me that studs are more unpredictable. Especially when you are on just a green broke horse in the cow field.

Normally, I wouldn't stick a green broke horse under me out there, but he demonstrated a natural tallent in reading the patterns of the cattle, and really he does all the work, I just ride. He's that good and enjoys it that much!

I know he has lost a great deal of stength and speed. He strugles heading 500-750lbs hefers and steers as to before, he would swing the heels around perfectly for the heeler. He also has lost his agility and excellant footwork and becomes winded with one good sprint and acts like he's ready to hang it up after 15 minutes.

Today, I worked off my arab/TB gelding, and the most I need to say about it is it wasn't pretty. If I said everything I said to this gelding today I would be booted off Horsetopia faster than stink comes from poo. It's not his fault, he a trail horse, but he'll learn by god.. He has to so I can give Manchers (Comanche) a break to put some umpf back into him.

I bought some Omelene 200 earlier today, and I am going to cive that a run. See how he's doing after a month and then give him a try if he improves.

He eat's his feed, he eats it extremely well.

I just feel bad for the big guy... I am having the vet come out, but he can't make it out here till Jan 26. It is a differnt vet, but he was recomended by a source I value highly for equine advice. My goto guy told me he's old, he stinks, but he's the best **** equine vet in all of E. Tenn, and his prices are fair for TOP NOTCH work.

You can tell he's good and cheap by how booked up he is.

Well, it's almost 4:00am and I have to mend some more 40 year old fencing. It goes like this, pull pannels off and place truck where horses or cattle wont interfere, dig up dirt around 4x4 fence post. Break concrete at the bottom, remove post. Place new post in, quickcreat bottom 10", trow dirt in, sprinkle some gras seed, cut new pannels (story in itself, seem that they made some post 4' apart while others are up to 10' apart, no two gaps are the same), nail them up, next repairs!

Thanks for the help guys and gals
Old 12-28-2006, 03:44 AM  
Yearling Member

Have you taken his temp???????????? He looks very off in the picture, and it has all manifested after he was cut, he could possibly have a secondary infection which is causing the problem.

Changing feed is a good idea also, but also how much grain and hay is he getting per feeding and how many feeding per day????

I think I would definately get a different vet as horses don't automatically lose weight in the winter, I know mine don't. If my vet gave me such a flippant answer I would have told him to get off my farm.

Is this the same vet who gelded your horse???

Hope your horse gets better.

RIDE LIKE A PILOT NOT A PASSENGER
Quarters N Paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:27 AM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarters N Paints
Have you taken his temp???????????? He looks very off in the picture, and it has all manifested after he was cut, he could possibly have a secondary infection which is causing the problem.

Changing feed is a good idea also, but also how much grain and hay is he getting per feeding and how many feeding per day????

I think I would definately get a different vet as horses don't automatically lose weight in the winter, I know mine don't. If my vet gave me such a flippant answer I would have told him to get off my farm.

Is this the same vet who gelded your horse???

Hope your horse gets better.
Yes, his temp is 100.7 which is within the norm.

Yes, it has been going on since he way cut, but I don't know if him being cut has anything to do with it, or it was a coincidence.

He recieves 1 scoop in the morning of 11% Supreme and 2.5 scoops at night of 11% supreme.. I recently picked up some omelene 200, and mixed 50lbs with 50lbs of 11% supreme to make the swap over less drastic, and then after that is cone I will be feeding him straight Omelene 200. He gets unlimited fordges, and hay (orchird grass)

All my horses loose weight in the winter, but it is only noticable when you measure them and NOT to the naked eye.

Yes, this vet was the one who gelded him. I think he done a good job, as I was there the entire time, but I am NOT impressed with him as of this last visit. I cleaned the wound properly using water and H2O2. THe wound did heal up from the inside out and drained properly.

I just hope it's nothing major such as heart murmors, ulcers, etc.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:50 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Are they getting enough hay? I know we're having a problem getting enough hay and mine are losing weight too. Omolene is a great feed. Hopefully that will help.
TxHorseMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition