Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do You feed Your Horse??
Pellets/cubes 3 10.00%
Baled Hay 27 90.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2006, 09:57 PM  
Weanling Member

Pellets, Cubes vs baled hay

I was wondering what everyone thinks about feeding alfalfa pellets, or cubes vs baled hay? I live in a windy prone area, and when I had horses before, (I don't have any now - but am looking) we fed flakes and the waste was terrible. If the bales were on the leafy side (which is what I strived to get) the loose leaves would blow away whenever I pulled a flake off and toss it over into the feeder.... I got to thinking a while back , maybe feeding pellets or cubes would be better. I have never had any experience with either and wondered if anyone here has any thoughts.

I plan to get a fairly large horse - probably no less than 1000 lbs.. It will be a grade horse, nothing fancy - maybe a quarter cross... Any tips on how much in pellets/cubes that should be fed to this size horse?
Ponderosa Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:06 PM  
Pasture Pet

Heck I was born and raised in that area[Lancaster] and there is excellant alfalfa there. Considering the area and the prime alfalfa available-I would feed the bales.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:08 PM  
Coming two

Send a message via MSN to annag307 Send a message via Yahoo to annag307
Hi, I have had the pleasure of using both, or all 3. I choose cubes over hay. I too noticed alot of loss or waste from the baled hay. Also the cubes has almost no (or little) weeds in it. If your horses are out on pasture (grazing) & you are feeding them. Then I would say if there is still grass to graze & supplementing it. I would say 10 - 20#s of cubes. If you are just feeding them & there is no grazing, then I would feed my horses 10 - 15#s of cubes 2 times a day. My friend has a 1300# horse & she feeds 12 - 15#s 2 times a day. Plus she gives 2 scoops of grain. Also I know of a friend that breeds & raises paints. During the windy times/months they feed strictly cubes. I do the alfalfa cubes, paint breeder does the same & my friend with the chunky horse feeds timothy cubes.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:42 PM  
Weanling Member

ToveroMom

How long have you been in TX? You are right there is some wonderful good quality hay that is grown in this area.. It is the waste - the leavy hay blowing away, and the horses not wanting to eat much of the stems that has me thinking seriously about feeding cubes or pellets... I keep thinking this would be the best way to go but I wanted other thoughts on it.

The area out here is growing so fast - I can't wait until I can sell out and leave for "greener pastures" myself....

Thanks for your response....
Old 11-11-2006, 03:43 PM  
Weanling Member

annag307

Thanks for the info on how you fed cubes.. As I mentioned in my post to ToveroMom, the more I think about it the more I like the idea..
Old 11-11-2006, 08:59 PM  
Coming two

Ur welcome. U can ck out the pics of our horses, they all love the cubes. They keep a great weight level with them & basically no waste.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:52 PM  
Pasture Pet

i feed cubes here because my sources of alfalfa suck.
I also feed bermuda hay at the same time.
The ONE thing I do not prefer with the cubes is that by the very way they are processed-the horse s lack in long fiber. That CAN[I said can not will] cause issues with some stock.
I feed my hay on the ground in tubs so wastage is not an issue.
Just do what works the best for your particular situation.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:01 AM  
Kid Safe

Much like Tmom, I feed some alfalfa cubes as a supplement to a basic bermuda hay diet. I'm a little paranoid about blister beetles, so prefer the cubes over hay, because I figure the cube manufacturer has a vested interest in the alfalfa it uses being "clean".

I don't feed them a lot of cubes - maybe a pound a day each, but find the little bit of extra nutrition above the hay seems to keep them in better condition, especially in the winter.
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:32 AM  
Started

I feed the cubes also, I do soak them though... Along with Coastal Bermuda hay.

My reason is because Alfalfa here costs about $20 a bale The quality isn't always good either..
Really ticks me off when I've paid that much and the inside is moldy or all stems

~ My treasures do not clink together nor glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~
Rocking Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:35 AM  
Greenbroke Member

The last two winters I fed the cubes. Never soaked them and never had any troubles. I liked the cubes as there was no waste at all and I knew exactly what they were getting without having to have it tested (like hay). The only downside was that it wouldn't take them long to eat their meals so then they would get bored and chewed my plank corrals to

This year we are back to round hay bales. I no longer work at the feed mill so I don't have a feed discount and can't afford to feed 13 horses cubes. Last year with my discount I was paying $420.00 a month to feed cubes. Now without my discount and more horses it would cost me about $1300.00 a month to feed cubes......so it was back to hay.

Brazil's National Horse is now in Canada! http://sunsetmarchadors.blogspot.com/
dandeeqh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:17 PM  
Coming two

OUchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dandeeqh! That is mighty spendy. With that many horses it gets spendy. My friends that raise & breed paints had around 20 horses + cattle. They would mainly fee on days that it was windy. But what they did go to the feed bagging place that makes it. They sell it even cheaper in bulk (no bags, U bring your buckets, etc.). Anyway, I cant remember how many bags on a pallet, but they were very tall pallets & paid $250 a pallet. This year out here at BigR, we pay around $7.49 per bag. But as a pallet price, works out just under $5.00 pr bag. That here in Pueblo, Colorado. Hows it priced around your guys' areas??
Old 11-13-2006, 06:21 PM  
Started

How would you start a horse out of feeding cubes? Add like 4-5 to start? then gradually increase it?

"Never miss a good chance to shut up." -Will Rogers
thunderbaby703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:29 PM  
Long Yearling

The cubes are notorious for causing choke so please be careful! I will not feed them to my horses ever again because of it.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:56 PM  
Started

What about if they are soaked? I add feed to my horses' water. That is just how soupy they get their food.

"Never miss a good chance to shut up." -Will Rogers
thunderbaby703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:22 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonearrow
The cubes are notorious for causing choke so please be careful! I will not feed them to my horses ever again because of it.
Alfalfa cubes come in 2 types - very hard with some kind of clay base, and very soft that crumble easily. I've never heard of the soft ones causing a problem. I would never use the hard ones myself - too many horses have choked on them...
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:28 PM  
Pasture Pet

Face is right-check the label for bentonite-that is a clay binder.
The good ones are processed with water as a binder.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:05 PM  
Coming two

Faceman, I agree. The ones I have seem to break apart fairly easy. I can easily peal them apart or crush them, breaks down real quick. I watch the horses and they make them into powdery substance fairly quick. Of course switching to anything new is suppose to be gradual. When I first started a horse out on cubes, I would throw 2 handfuls, do that for a few days. Then gradually add 2 more handfuls for another 2 days, and so on and so on. I would watch the first week you are feeding him the cubes and make sure all goes well. If there is going to be a problem you would see it fairly soon after eating it.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition