Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2006, 07:38 AM  
Yearling Member

Dislocated Shoulder Question...

If a horse has a dislocated shoulder is this fixable or are they lame the rest of their life???
Old 08-17-2006, 07:56 AM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to chappel16 Send a message via Yahoo to chappel16
Well I know of a horse that got kicked in the shoulder, they say it was fractured, and she walks with a permanent limp and will the rest of her life. Kinda looks like if you just took one foot and walked on the tippy toe of that foot and the flat of the other.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:00 AM  
Yearling Member

Is that horse ride able?????
Old 08-17-2006, 08:06 AM  
Long Yearling

Nope, just a very pretty pasture ornament!! Also knew of another horse with a shoulder problem, barn tried to use as a lesson horse and she ended up bucking people off from pain. Shoulders are a very tricky area when it comes to injury as they use that joint every day, all day.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:08 AM  
Yearling Member

ummmmm that is bad!!! Could they be used for breeding or would that be to much for them to carry also?
Old 08-17-2006, 08:42 AM  
Long Yearling

Well both mares were retired to broodmare status, and had no problems, so I would say yes, they should be breedable and carry full term.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:43 AM  
Bombproof Member

I think this is something you should discuss with your vet, if you have a mare with a dislocated shoulder.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:47 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
I have a gelding whose shoulder blade was cracked. Not actually broken completely. He was viciously attacked by a mare before I got him. His shoulder has a "dent" in the muscle where he was kicked and he doesn't extend that shoulder as far forward as he does the other. He also has some damage to that knee from compensating while it healed.

He is rideable in fact he is an awesome trail horse and is a smooth ride. He is not 100% sound but as long as I keep him on his joint supplements he does good. He has other issues as well besides the shoulder and knee.

It all depends on how serious the injury was and how it was taken care off afterwards. Nothing was done for my guy, he was put on bute for a short while and then left to heal on his own.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:49 AM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to Sassy
Yes I agree a call to your vet is best! If not treated properly it may become a more serious problem. If it's not to much to ask how did she come by a dislocated shoulder? Curiousity lol .......
Old 08-17-2006, 09:25 AM  
Yearling Member

Don't mind at all if you ask. I don't know for sure that is what it is I am trying to think of what it could be. I have been reading some few things trying to get ideas. I posted something a while back about mare coming up lame only when we canter her and lope her. We will be taking her to the vet shorlty to see if we can figure out what is going on. Sense it was not life threating we were waiting to save up some cash. When I talked to the vet about it he also mentioned something about fluid on the shoulder. What could that be??? My vet did tell me not to bring her in when walking normal he only wants to see her when she is lame. He said if she is not lame when I bring her in it will do no good. So when I make the appointment I will have to work her some and see what she does.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition