Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2006, 06:02 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Location: Clyde, NC > 9 miles of friendly people, plus 1 old crab
cut on heel

"Press" cut herself pretty good on the heel of front foot. Now its on a part where I can't wrap it without the bandage slipping off. So I was thinking of putting a soaking boot on her, just to keep the medicine on, OR should I just sobbed a whole lot of medicine on and leave it?

Support the wild horses on North Carolina Outer Banks
http://www.corollawildhorses.com/
Kelly4NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:08 PM  
Bombproof Member

We had a horse cut the back of the heel of the front foot.

We wrapped the hoof as well to keep it from slipping and this did great.
It can be wrapped, start above the ankle down and wrap the hoof.

We also confined the horse to a stall to limit movement for about 6 months
to make sure the cut was closed so when the horse walked it would not split back open.

We would atlernante between meds as well as using preperation H and meat tenderizer to keep proud flesh away as well as help close the cut.
We changed every day, washed it off with cold water and also put vaseline on the hoof to keep the drainage from damaging the hoof.

A week of penicillin, starting the first 2 days with 30 cc's and then down to 10 cc's.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:21 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I remember when Brandon cut his leg really bad, we had to wrap the hoof too to keep the bandages on. We actually used duct tape for the hoof itself (bottom and sides). The vet showed us how, so it was medically ok'd.

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:43 PM  
Halter broke

Don't think this will apply to horse heels..but our rescue cat we found a couple weeks ago had a pretty good chunk of flesh gone from hisneck where it joins his shoulder, between nickel and quarter size, not real deep, but in a place that we couldn't bandage. We peroxided it, kept an eye on it, looked like it was slowly healing, then three days ago he kept scratching it and made it raw again. Before going to the vet I thought I'd try an old southern trick-I put sugar on it-two days later it is almost completely healed over after being open and wet since we found him. It is amazing how quickly it healed.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:36 PM  
Weanling Member

Baby diapers! I know it sounds strange, but they fit the hoof perfectly. Just slip the diaper onto the hoof with the point of the fold at the toe. Then brinf it up and together around the bottom of the hoof and the front of it like you are diapering your baby, and use the closures to secure it. Then use either vet wrap or duct tape to lend it strength. Keeps soil and foreign materials out, and keeps medicines in!
The sizes we use most are the newborn ones. They can be the cheapies, the horses dont care if they have pink or blue duckies on them, and they are a cost effective and disposable bandaging technique.

~Isn't it amazing the things we will do and endure...All for the love of horses~
Sheri Tarrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:17 PM  
Yearling Member

I have had both a cut on the heel, and an abcess...all in the same foot of my foundered mare. You put the poultice (I use Sugar and betadine) for abcess I use a lot and put it in a big ziplock bag. I only used the diapers for the abcess to add padding, but it soaks too much of the poultice up for my taste, to be able to just put the poutice in the diaper. You can put tons of the poutice on, wrap the hoof, and if you want buy a medi boot. Diapers may help for this as it will protect from rubbing, but make sure the foot is all ready wrapped. You then confine the horse, and apply duct tape to help hold it on.

You probably would also want to do what Snickers said about the penicylin. I would also make sure that it is cleaned before anything is put on it. Keep us posted and good luck!

C\'mon Merikle...Heal That Darn Corneal Ulcer!!! Shows coming up...Are we ready?
Merikle Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:54 AM  
Yearling Member

Had a quarter horse once who cut his heel really deeply on a broken bottle while we were swimming a creek. We were way out in the woods. It bled and bled. My riding buddy relinquished his t-shirt that I tore into strips for a makeshift leg wrap. It worked out well and I was able to get the horse to a road, to be trailered home.

The cut was at the bulb of the heal at the coronet. I had the vet out and he put the horse on IM antibiotics for 4 weeks and the hoof was packed with furazone, and wrapped with diapers, vetwrap and duct tape. The horse was on stall rest for a week, then turned out in a small pasture when the weather was dry. He healed up in about 6 weeks.
you never knew were empty.
Captain Jean Luc Picard
irishmusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition