Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2006, 02:53 PM  
Seasoned

Best pasture grass?

OK, so I have a question. One of my pastures is pretty bare from having a horse on it before the grass really came in and I want to reseed it while the season is still early. I would like to know what's the best type to use.

Little background on the pasture, it's not very big and it has my mare on it, who will be bred by next Spring. It's probably a total of 2 acres. I'd like to avoid fescue so I won't have to worry about pulling her towards the end of her pregnancy, so what would be a good choice?
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:03 PM  
TDH
Seasoned

Brome, orchard, rye, and kentucky blue with a touch of legume, like alfalfa, thrown in would be my choice if I had one.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:47 PM  
Seasoned

A mixture of all those? That sounds like a great mix...maybe I should think about doing all of my pastures this way....if it wasn't so much work!

Now, with those grasses, would I have to worry about it being TOO good for her? I wouldn't want her to get too fat or founder because she'd have really good grass...
Old 05-18-2006, 11:00 PM  
Kid Safe

Drop in on your local Southern States and check out what they have for horse pasture mix meant for your area. Their seed mixes are usually pretty good and hardy, too, and they usually are fescue free.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:05 AM  
Weanling Member

your local county agricultural agent is a good source of information about what will grow best in your area.
Horses prefer a mix of forages, just like you like a little variety in the foods you eat.

I'd suggest splitting your pasture in half , seeding, and giving it a chance to get established. Fall is actually the preferred time to plant pasture grasses here in VA. Spring plantings usually get stressed by the heat and dry conditions of summer and don't do very well.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:16 AM  
TDH
Seasoned

Yes, I should've said that earlier, seeing as you're from KY you may need a different mix for your climate/soil conditions. Your local county ag office would be a great place to go for information.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:31 AM  
Seasoned

Thanks guys! I'll check into it! (I know fall is the best time for planting, but if I don't do something soon, she's going to be on a dry lot.

She has two, I guess they'd be paddocks because they're small. Just before she got here at the end of March, we had had my husband's gelding in one of those paddocks until him and my gelding got used to his presence. So, for about a month, that big ol' Appaloosa, who was on the thinner side when we got him, ate anything he could in that paddock. So when Leila came and Thor was moved into the big pasture with Kayode, she was hard pressed to find anything in that paddock. We immediately fenced off another area for her, thinking she'd take a while to get the grass down in that one, but we were wrong. She's like a lawnmower!

My plan was, before it got too hot, to lay down some seed in the one paddock that's been heavily used and is almost a dry lot. Then fence off another area for Leila to use instead of that one. She'd still have access to the second one we gave her, but she'd have a fresh area that hasn't been grazed and we'd fence her off of the one with seed. But that would be a lot of work and may end up being pointless if the grass seed doesn't grow. I guess I'll just fence off another area for her and wait until Fall. That'll give me time to talk to a few people, look around for good prices, and even fertilize the paddock first. It'll be better long term to do it that way instead of a quick fix that may not work.

If the grass seed mix I find and use works good there, I may just end up doing the big pasture section by section. Truth is, Leila is by herself right now because Kayode acts too much like a stud and she's hard enough to catch without him herding her away. But who knows what'll happen in a few years? Leila could become easy to catch, Kayode could loosen up on his studliness (is that even a word? ), and she may end up in with the boys. That pasture is mostly fescue. I'd have to worry about moving Leila when she's bred.

The things we do to ensure our horses have the best...

Thanks for the good advice though...Horsetopia members RULE!

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition