Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2006, 10:18 AM  
Weanling Member

Ace?

Just a quick question...

How much ace would you give a horse that weighs about 1100-1200 pounds? He's closer to being 1100 pounds than he is 1200 but I'm not quite sure what his weight is exactly and I don't want to overdose him. Thanks in advance .

-Alicia

Love you so much, you will be dearly missed my "LITTLE MAN"
Charlies'_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:27 AM  
Long Yearling

If I can be nosy why are you Aceing him?
sheri7785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:44 AM  
Bombproof Member

I think that question would be best answered by your vet.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:46 AM  
Weanling Member

I've been trying to get him clipped, like his bridle path mainly and I've tried everything. I've been working with the clippers and him for the past year and a half and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. He's just so nervous all the time. A few people have told me to try to ace him, it may help. They also said he would drop, so that would give a chance to give his sheath a really good, needed cleaning.

Am I using it for all the wrong reasons ?? I don't want to put my horse's health into any kind of trouble especially if I can prevent it. I was just going by what others have told me. I also will have someone there to help me I won't be doing this all on my own.

-Alicia

( I think I will prolly end up calling the vet if I do use it. But, I haven't quite decided yet if I should or not . I haven't even bought it yet.)

Old 05-12-2006, 10:57 AM  
Yearling Member

Just a warning and i might ad we use ace so i am not saying yea or nay

But with a gelding ace gives him a 50% chance of dropping and never being able to bring it back up this is more common in stallions and not geldings but i think Rompan is better for the boys

and it dopes them better ace has a tendency to work against you, If you use it and a horse still gets anxious the ace will work backwards and make them more anxious

RIP: Neverskiphercolor
treasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:57 AM  
Long Yearling

Have you tried a twitch and that first? I am asking this for a few reasons. The first is of all there is only ONE vet out of the 6 around our town that will give Ace out. Secondly it's a jugular shot. Thirdly I have seen horses start to overdose on the suggested amount and horses it hasn't done a thing too. I would definitely talk this over with a vet first. You don't want anything to go wrong. A vet can give you suggestions on other things that might help if they don't think the Ace is right for you.
sheri7785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:00 AM  
Yearling Member

YOu can give ace IM IV or Subq it doesn't matte but it works faster IV

RIP: Neverskiphercolor
treasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:05 AM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Have you tried a twitch and that first?
Yes, and now he just gets annoyed everytime I try to take his lips. I've also tried to just sit there with the clippers on while I stroke him and tell what a good boy he is, just nothing seems to help.

Quote:
Secondly it's a jugular shot
I wasn't going to give him the shot, I was going to use the one that was given orally(sp??).

What is Rompan??
Thanks everyone for your replies...

-Alicia

Old 05-12-2006, 11:06 AM  
Weanling Member

I have actually seen Ace administered orally before... At least, I was told it was Ace that they were using... Through a syringe like one used for worming.
JoAnn1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:07 AM  
Seasoned

Just a thought, and I could very well be wrong, as I'm far from a trainer! But have you tried working him until he's good and tired before trying to clip him? Sort of like working him if he won't let you clip him and making him think it's better to be clipped than to work hard?

Anytime Kayode won't let me do something, I lunge him for a few minutes and he quickly realizes that my way is easier on him. But he's 22 years old and knows the routine anyway.
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:08 AM  
Started

As you are in Canada, the laws may be different there. Here Ace is a controlled substance and most Vet's won't give it to any but the most experienced horse owners. You need a prescription for it here too..

As far as I know, Ace isn't given orally: IV, IM and SubQ are the only ways I have ever given it or seen it given...

I think your best bet would be to consult with your Vet. Horses can and do go completely down on Ace....

<edited to add> Using Ace on your horse to clip him is not going to solve the problem...

~ My treasures do not clink together nor glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~
Rocking Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:13 AM  
Greenbroke Member

What I do to help teach them to clip is tie them somewhere sturdy that they won't get caught on anything and can move around some but not too much. Then pull out a hair dryer and dry his hair! The noise and sensation are similiar and he can't jerk his head away from the pressure. Start far away and as he gets better move closer. It would also be a good idea to start at his neck or shoulder and move up closer to his head. I would seriously consider this method before drugging him.

Also, I believe ace can come in different concentrates, which will make a difference on how much you give. If you decide to go that route, please contact your vet to ensure proper dosage.
TXCowGrl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:21 AM  
Weanling Member

I know it won't solve anything, but it may give me a chance to show him it isn't going to eat him and then maybe from there it will get better. I've tried working him and then trying, I've tried having another horse with him, I've tried just tying and hoping for the best, I've tried leaving it running while he is in his stall, and it just goes on. I think from most of the posts I've read, it's prolly not a good idea, so maybe I'll just forget about it. Thanks for all the the suggestions and what not, really appreciate it.

-Alicia

Oh, thought I would mention, I think out here the shot has to be given by a vet. But, anyone can do it orally, from what I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong .

<edited to add> Which is kind of odd considering either way could be harmful .

Old 05-12-2006, 11:28 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I just wanted to add that Dandy, my old TB was going to have his teeth done last fall and the vet started with Ace to take the edge off before giving him the good stuff. First Dandy started to go down, then began thrashing frantically. It was very bad. Needless to say, he didn't get his teeth done.

Also, imo, if the horse is loopy, he doesn't "learn" it's not going to hurt him. He's too drugged up to fully remember the experience. But that's just my opinion.
TXCowGrl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:32 AM  
Halter broke

There was an oral form of Acepromazine out a few years ago. Every single gelding in our 50 stall show barn gets tranqed by the vet to have their sheath cleaned. It makes it easier on everyone. As for clipping, my horse hates to be bodyclipped (sensitive TB skin). Even though he's well-behaved, the tickling and noise makes his SO uncomfortable. The tranquing makes it a pleasant experience for both of us. I also pull his mane at the same time. Why get into fighting, twitching, chain over the lip, broken cross ties etc, never mind the anxiety it causes them. I say call your vet and get the tranq (incidentally we use ace/dermosodan)
kimball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:35 AM  
Halter broke

PS- When we use the tranq we clip their heads and ears first b/c it wakes them up a little bit. Hard to sleep completely when the clippers are buzzing in the air.
kimball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:41 AM  
Started

Hmm, I go through this with mine over her ears too.
Not my fault that some dumb cluck decided to ear twitch her and she has major issues with her ears.

Over 8 years I have tranquilized her twice to do her ears-both were for shows.

That is just to say some horses really do have issues and NO they will not remember the event and be trained, but sometimes it makes life a little easier.

Yes-there are side effects to Ace and I would use your vetereinarian. Have him/her out to float teeth, do a sheath cleaning etc. and before the effects wear off get your horse clipped. There are better tranqs than Ace and that is why I would have your vet sedate your horse.

I have heard of Ace being given orally. Dealers/traders will do this as it does not leave a mark for a potential buyer to see.

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C.Fields
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:52 AM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via MSN to mellowdane
Yes you can get Ace for oral use. Our Co-Op has it still I beleive. A friend of mine uses it once in a while on a gelding she has that gets really wound up. Usually though, she uses Quietex. It is also a paste but it is milder and just "takes the edge off" a little. She uses it on her mare that gets hyped up and sways (she's a little tightly wound ) To get through a rough patch just to get it done and over with it would probably help, and since they aren't doped up it may help more with the "training" you are trying to do. That can be a difficult sort of deal. Good luck.

Has is occurred to you that there's a certain inefficiency in questioning me on things you've already made up your mind about? - Spock
mellowdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:00 PM  
Yearling Member

I have recently use Ace, given to me by my Vet,
I gave it orally in the mouth., measured out for a 900lb horse, 8cc.
It was for a stallion, that hates the vets, and needed to stand still, for shots, so he could be gelded.
It needs time to work though.
It didnt help him, he was still a handful. Needless to say, now I have a gelding that hates the vet, doesnt mind clippers.

I start my out with clippers, or anything vibrating for that matter, in the feed bucket as well, they get hungry enough, they will eat around the vibrating noise.
Now I just go out in the field and clip all of them, they think its feeding time, and they stand without a lead, or me holding them, and I clip away, one right after another. Instead, of fight, make it fun for them. They will clip with ease.LOL :
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:22 PM  
Weanling Member

Thanks everyone for all your comments, I think I may just continue using scissors to do his bridle path. As for the sheath cleaning he is pretty good with that anyways I just thought, if he was totally hanging out I could get a REAL good cleaning. Either way he's gonna get cleaned and clipped.

I also want to mention that I hadn't planned on "training" him to accept clippers with the aid of Ace and I still don't intend to. I just wanted to try it once and see how it went. I have a show coming up this weekend (just a small local one) and I just wanted him to look a little bit neater ( my cutting job with the bridle path sadly isn't all that great lol , but it does get the job done.) Anyways, I just want to apologize to everyone if I sounded rude in any of my posts, I really didn't mean to .

Thanks again.

-Alicia

<Edited to add> Sunny thats a good idea, I think I may try it.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition