Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2006, 05:40 AM  
Newborn Member

White thick nasal discharge???

Help, my new horse has thick white discharge coming from his nose, not eating alot and hardly drinking water, what could this be? Had the vet out last week twice, he couldn't find anything then, now the white discharge...Help
horsey1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:25 AM  
Yearling Member

Some bad weeds maybe, has he been out on pasture, possibly white clover, I would call you vet back and tel him about the discharge and see what he says
whiteplainsranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:57 AM  
Bombproof Member

It could be a gutteral pouch infection, and those are nothing to mess around with.

I would have the vet out again ASAP.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:36 PM  
Newborn Member

Nasal discharge

Vet is on it's way, been waiting all day, should be here soon... She seems to think that he may have "strangles", never dealt w/ this before, I am really scared!!! He's been in a split pasture w/ my other horse also, I took him out of there after I talked to my vet...
Old 04-30-2006, 12:40 PM  
Newborn Member

Nasal discharge

What gets me is that I had the vet out here two other times this week because this horse isn't acting right, eating right or drinking right, extending his neck and eating dirt. They never tested him, just said it was "stress" from being moved. He's a 5 year old Paint gelding and I love him, but he's pretty mad at me right now and not wanting to be caught cause everytime I have caught him the vets have put an arm up his rear!!! Poor thing!!! I know he's sick I just want to help him!!! Hopefully they can do something this time....
Old 04-30-2006, 12:42 PM  
Halter broke

sorry to sound negative but if it is really strangles that can be pretty bad, i would call the people you got him/her from.
horsechick82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:47 PM  
Newborn Member

Maybe Strangles?

I got him from a sale last saturday, got the guys name and phone number, haven't called him yet... My poor friends used their trailer to bring him home, they have a herd of 10!!! How bad can this be???
Old 04-30-2006, 01:30 PM  
Weanling Member

I hate to say this but it could be very bad. Sounds like strangles and sales barns are the perfect breeding ground for this very nasty ailment. It's very contagious so I would definitely let your friends know what is going on. Their trailer could be contaminated. Keep your new horse as far away from your other horse as you possibly can, don't let them share any buckets, hay piles, etc., and hopefully your vet can get back out to you ASAP and get him going on a treatment.
hopeless addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 05:31 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Call your friends and have them immediately disinfect their trailer with a strong bleach solution. Also, make sure they (and you) disinfect everything that horse touched, especially with his mouth. If the vet is wrong, all you've got is a clean trailer and a bunch of clean tack. If the vet's right, you may save everyone a lot of heartache and vet bills.

Hopefully, you're like me and when you borrow a trailer, you swing by the jetwash and clean it out for the owner. If you did, that would have helped a lot.

"I'll keep my guns, my religion, and my money - you can keep the change."
Seanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:21 PM  
Kid Safe

nasal discharge

Anything from the vet? Don't panic yet, it could be strangles or it could be a cold from the stress. Sales barns are just a breeding ground for all sorts of nasties. Are there any lumps in the neck area? Temperature? Hopefully the vet was out and able to give some advice!

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:58 AM  
Newborn Member

It's Strangles

Vet come out yesterday and it's strangles, two lumps under throat area and horse is getting worse, they wouldn't do antiibiotics until the pus sacks break He's not drinking water still, they are coming out today to do IV fluids, I hope Chief pulls through this, he is such a nice boy....I'm worried about my 9 year old buckskin mare getting it because they are in a split pasture!!! This horse is turning out to be a ton of money that I can't afford...

Thanks for all your help, it's greatly appreciated, your all great!
Old 05-01-2006, 08:07 AM  
Seasoned

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I hope your boy comes through it OK.

Not to be negative, but this is one reason why I NEVER go near my horses until I've disinfected myself after going to an auction. Auctions may be a good place to find a deal, but as you're finding out, they can also be a place of nightmares. Anytime I go to an auction, I always go with the frame of mind that I won't buy anything. However, I always have a plan to quarantine, if I should buy something.

Sadly, I think that should be posted in real big letters around the sale houses. Most people don't think anything about it, or realize just how nasty those houses are. "Buyer Beware: You Could be buying a sick horse". It's a shame because the horses suffer for it.

Please keep us posted on your horse's condition. We'll be pulling for you and him!
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:39 AM  
Newborn Member

Strangles

Thanks Wildcat. I know, this is the first horse that I bought from the auction. I had them separated but I didn't think about buckets, etc... Hopefully my mare don't contract it, time will tell. Thanks for thinking of me and my Chief! I hope we can get him through this as fast as we can.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:20 AM  
Yearling Member

Strangles is a bad deal, It can be serious, but as many horses that get it, you'll probably be fine. It just has to run it's course, The disease is bad a auctions. Did you vaccinate your other mare for strangles, When you did your vaccinations? Or have you done them yet this year?
Old 05-01-2006, 08:34 PM  
Newborn Member

Strangles

My vet never recommended the vac... some people here give it on their own... Talked to alot of friends w/ horses today and they say that when you have a horse older than 5 that they don't usually pick it up as easy... I got a phone call from the guy that sold me the horse at the auction, he lied to me, told me that he had the horse for a month and did training on him for a month when I talked to him after I purchased the horse, tonite he called me a bitch and told me that it was my problem and that he only had the horse a week and didn't know anything about it!!! My auction days are over for along time thats for sure....Chief is doing better tonite, eating and drinking alittle more but is fighting me on hot packs and his meds....poor thing's gonna hate me before this is over, he probably thinks he's a lab rat!!! Thanks for all your support....And don't buy a horse from Brandt Clark from Cedar Springs, MI.......He bought himself a FREE advertisement!!! HA HA HA
Old 05-01-2006, 08:40 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Darn! I was hoping we were wrong! Like the earlier post said, although the morbidity is very high , the mortality associated with the disease isn't.

Good luck and don't forget to disinfect your shoes too when going from horse to horse.

Now, call the state vet's office and report the strangles case. Be sure to tell them where you got the horse from and suggest that they check out his operation because he said it was your problem and you assume from that statement that he's not going to take any kind of preventative measures to keep from spreading the disease. After all, notifying the authorities and making sure the disease doesn't spread is just the responsible thing to do...........

"I'll keep my guns, my religion, and my money - you can keep the change."
Seanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:54 PM  
Yearling Member

Yep ^ what she said
Old 05-01-2006, 09:10 PM  
Newborn Member

Strangles

Where do I find that phone number for my states office? I have never had to do this before... My friends herd of 10 are in jeopardy also....I'm sick to my stomach over this...
Old 05-01-2006, 09:19 PM  
Newborn Member

Strangles

And what makes me sick about this whole thing is that I paid for training this coming weekend w/ a professional reining trainer for a 4 month clinic and I'm going to have to give up my deposit because I can't take either horse now... My summer of trail riding and training is done for...
Old 05-01-2006, 09:22 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Thinking about you and wishing you the best. Keep us posted.

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition