Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2006, 10:14 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Feeding the Halter Weanling

I will have three colts to show in the fall futurities. Keeping in mind that none of them are "bred" to be halter colts but performance colts, two running bred crosses and one cow bred. What would you recommend for a feeding/conditioning program? My mares are typically kept on high quality, clean meadow grass round bales, fairly high in protein for grass, with 12% Nutrena grain as needed and a basic mare/colt supplement. Once they show an interest I generally start the colts on a creep feed of Empower and 12% Nutrena. Two of the colts should be normal in growth habits but the one mare tends to have colts that are born with "tight" tendons and can go through huge growth spurts. For the later colt to be born mid May his show is Aug 21st. Not a whole lot of time. The other two colts will be born in the next couple of weeks and they will show the third weekend in October.
So I guess my question is what do you recommend for a best supplement for weght/muscle gain and show coat. Also what so you recommend for a conditioning program.
Blanketing and clipping and all that good stuff I have down (worked in an Arab halter barn for three years) but I haven't really ever taken the whole weanling thing too seriously but I will have lots of extra time this summer and want to look the best I and my babies can against the big dogs.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:27 PM  
Weanling Member

I really like Buckeye feeds, if it is available in your area. They have a topdress oat balancer called "Sho'N Win" (pellets that you mix with plain oats) They also have another supplement that you can add to that called "Ultimate Finish" which increases body condition and gives a glossier haircoat. Good luck with your babies!!
Smart Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:31 PM  
Bombproof Member

Okay, now I know there are some people out there who show strictly halter. I am interested in what type of supplements/grain you feed to get the most edge possible. Something to encourage weight/muscle. What type of conditioning do you do with your weanlings to get them ready for a fall futurity. I want to try and do everything possible to help my performance bred colts do the best they can against halter bred colts.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:11 PM  
ron
Started

I would like to say one thing, and don't take it the wrong way.

Your horses are too young to show halter with any chance at all in placing, especially the one that will be 3 monts old at first show.

Halter babies are born jan 1st or soon after, and sad to say that some are born earlier...I call them octuary babies....and aren't ""found"" until january.

In order for you to show in less than 5-7 months from today, you would have to put such a strain on those babies that I would not feel comfortable helping you to do that.

Our colt was born Jan 19 and is a nice size colt. He was still not at a size or mentality to show in futurities that he was already paid up to enter.

we let him grow and be a horse. that is what we as responsible owners needed to do.

Young babies when stressed, conditioning and training, are prone to develop gastric ulcers and while these can be treated, sets the horse up for possible troubles his whole life.

While I wish you luck with your horses, I hope you reconsider your choices.
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:11 PM  
Bombproof Member

Ron, Not offended at all. The futurities I show at have seperate classes for different ages. They split them into early and late fillies/colts. I completely understand where you're coming from that is why I was looking for pointers to do the best I can without ruining my babies. All three of my colts should make it into the late classes. The cutoff date has always been the end of March so unless they come earlier (and moms say no) they will be in the late classes. I'm not raising stall babies strictly for halter. These are bred to be performance colts with a future, two are bred for speed and the other for cows.
I was/am looking for pointers to put that "bloom" on them.
They will be shown at one show each, at the most two classes. I buy most of my breedings at a stallion auction and then show the colts to try and make back the money I have spent.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:17 AM  
Started

Send a message via AIM to Linebacker55
Well, we are very unconventional with our Halter Babies. We feed them a Grass/alfalfa mix hay, and also have them on Neutrena Safe Choice feed. We will place them on grow colt, to help keep the rations balanced in their bodies.

Like Ron Said, it is very hard to be competetive with late babies, but it is hard to be competetive with what some of the Babies are put through to get the size and mass on them.

In Our program it is more important to us to let the babies grow up and then later in life we will fill them out, we would rather see a horse competetive in 2, 3 or aged horse classes. If you win as a weanling, or yearling alot can change in form and function of the horses! A weanling world champion is still a world champion, but unless you can get them to back it up down the road..... well you know where I am going with that part of the post.

Mostly, feed a good quality hay and a well balanced feed to the babies. We supplement with Grow Colt, and as they get a bit older sometimes add empower to help their coat shine.

Not sure if that helps you at all. I can tell you what the BIG time halter people feed, but I would hate to see your babies get an OCD or Epiphasitis( think I spelled that wrong) from growing to fast and too wide!!
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Linebacker55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:57 PM  
Newborn Member

fitting for halter

I would feed them equine junior or strategy, the only difference is strategy needs to have hay fed with. Equine jr is a complete feed. Start them light and add to their feeding every week. In the meantime lift their feet, touch them all over, walk them around, teach them to stop when you stop and trot when you trot. You can run them around the round pen without a lunge line but using a whip. Starting slow and no more than a few times each way for conditioning. After you work them tie them up in their stall for about a half an hour or so. First though you must break them to tie before you start any conditioning. Then lift their legs, then touch them everywhere. Also teach them to get sprayed with something, could just be water, so you can fly spray them at the shows. Get them to bond with you and to trust you, and you will do as well as can be expected. They have supplements for the tendon problems that work almost immediately with no long tem effects at all. Of course you don't want to over do it in the feed dept. but they have to have some weight if you expect to do well in the late class at your futurity. I love futurities. Good Luck.
Connie2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:17 PM  
Pasture Pet

Ours is out with a trainer and he is on Safe Choice feed with Empower feed used as a supplement. He also gets dry beet pulp shreds and straight alfalfa hay. He is looking wonderful and I am not having to worry about joint issues.
He gets 20-30 minutes work and vacuumed and groomed daily to condition his haircoat.
We just do the halter for fun-ours go on to be riders also. I just love watching a fit and healthy halter horse-whether he is mine or someone else's
I wish it was as easy as a lot of folks think..that would be nice.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:55 PM  
Yearling Member

I had a halter weanling last year SHe is my halter yearling this year,

I didn't push her, and took her only for experence.

We found a nice gradulal (SP) hill and I hand walked and troted her up and down that hill twice a day for conditioning, I needed to get in shape as well and there wasn't any abnormal stress to her tendons and bones.

It sounds to me like you are doing the same, the for experence part.

We also feed Equine Junior to our foals and they look good

RIP: Neverskiphercolor
treasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition