Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2005, 12:12 PM  
Newborn Member

bran mash recipes

Hi, does anybody know a good bran mash recipe. It is getting cold here at night. I wanted to spoil my boy with a treat. Thanks
heavenlybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:39 PM  
Coming two

I don't know of any specific recipes. I usually just mix some bran with warm water and add carrots apples and celery to it and they love it.

Jena <3
babycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:59 PM  
Yearling Member

When I make a weekly bran mash for my horses (helps the sand to move through their system) the size of the mash depends on how large the horse is (that's how I do it, personally). For my adult horses, I take a scoop of bran mash (a grain sized scoop) and put it in a bucket. I add warm-hot water to it and then mix it til it makes an oatmeal looking mixture (not too watery). Then I add oil (vegetable or corn) not too much, but a bit, and stir everything up. When I give it to them at night, I mix their grain in with it, and also add a few apple slices and carrots. That's just my way of making it, I know a lot of people make it differently.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:32 PM  
Pasture Pet

Did you know that feeding bran can hinder a horses ability to absorb calcium? Of course I don't mean that once and a while or even weekly will cause an issue!

Rather than feed bran, I make a pellet and molasses mush! It is more what they are used to eating so less likely to cause digesting upset in my opinion. I just soak the pellets in warm water, then add molasses, and maybe some apple to the mix! Yum!

Karen2
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:53 PM  
Yearling Member

Ooooh, EquineAlberta that sounds like a yummy thing to try! I "try" to make them a weekly bran mash to clear the sand from their systems, but it ends up usually being once a month . I want to spoil my babies a little and try that mash
Old 12-06-2005, 02:59 AM  
Started

We give our guys a mash most Sunday nights during really cold spells. We mix a coffee can of bran with our grain and add hot water. My old guy loves his mashes and he gets it all over his face like a toddler eating oatmeal! We do know about the calcium problem so we try not to overdo the mashes. It's just a nice warm treat on a cold day.
Horse_Orderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:17 AM  
Kid Safe

I tend to soak alfalfa cubes in hot water and feed while it's still warm to the touch. Berry likes it and eats it all gone. The goats inhale it until it cools off, (then it sits there and goes to waste. )

For sand clearing, we toss generic (orange flavored) Metamucil in for one week out of the month. About three heaping tablespoons per feeding. Berry always winds up with "citrus fresh" breath and an orange nose!!
Old 12-06-2005, 05:43 PM  
Kid Safe

mash

I use beet pulp when it's really cold...30 and under here. I add hot water, let it soak, and add carrot chunks and apple chunks. They LOVE it! I haven't gotten the goats to get over their suspicion, though. I wanted to switch to alfalfa cubes for forage and "mashes", since Jack the donkey doesn't like soaked beet pulp. However, the stores around here only carry the pellets (I don't know how to serve that) and TSC is out of cubes indefinitely!

Hmmm, I do sometimes add the vegetable oil as well.

My husband thinks I'm NUTS!

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:33 AM  
Started

Easy No Cook Bran Snaps
4 cups Bran
4 cups applesauce

Mix ingredients together
batter should be doughy
Roll out with a rolling pin and cut shapes with a cookie cutter
Let dry and serve

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C.Fields
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:51 AM  
Yearling Member

Thanks Touche, I'm going to give that a try today
Old 12-07-2005, 08:56 AM  
Started

There's a lot more where that came from.
Let me know if you need more.

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C.Fields
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:32 PM  
Newborn Member

bran mash

I have a 22 year old mare that was colicing 5-6 days after we de-wormed her. My vet and I decided it was the de-wormer that was causing the colic. She recommended a bran mash after the deworming and she has thankfully not coliced since. I mix up 1/2 cup bran, 1/2 cup quick quaker oats, 1 cup warm water, apple and carrot slices and she gobbles it up and looks for more. I don't add corn or molassas because that can cause acid in their stomach. What works for my mare might not work for yours. I was willing to try anything so that she didn't colic after the de-worming
GRAMMYOLEKSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:44 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touche View Post
There's a lot more where that came from.
Let me know if you need more.
just treats or do you know other secrets?? Susan
susanspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:15 PM  
Started

I make horse treats all the time! It's cheaper and fun to do! I have loads of recipes if anyone wants some!

and I'm going to try some of those mash recipes to spoil my horses!
eventergirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 AM  
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventergirl09 View Post
I make horse treats all the time! It's cheaper and fun to do! I have loads of recipes if anyone wants some!

and I'm going to try some of those mash recipes to spoil my horses!
I would love some of those recipes!!
Terriemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:07 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybabies View Post
Hi, does anybody know a good bran mash recipe. It is getting cold here at night. I wanted to spoil my boy with a treat. Thanks
Besides water and a little bit of mineral oil, I have also added :

Individual oatmeal servings. They love the (low sugar) maple brown sugar, cinnoman and spice and the apple and cinnoman flavorings. I just add it to their bran mash.

Or you can get the cinnoman seasoning and just add a little. I have also added some ground up ginger snaps.

A bran mash now and then is ok, but bran on a regular basis hinders the absorbtion of calcium to a horse.

Last edited by BarnBum : 11-18-2012 at 11:12 AM.
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:11 AM  
Started

At a previous lesson barn I rode at, the horses got a sunday evening bran mash. They would mix up brain with sweetfeed and hot water.

But, these horses got sweetfeed as part of their regular ration, so I'd probably stick with a grain your horse's are used to, or mix with apples/carrots/applesauce.
*Giddy Up* is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition