Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2005, 06:32 PM  
Weanling Member

Hind leg limping

My old mare who is going through the impaction laid down the other day. When she got up, it took her 2 tries and I think she might have hurt her hind leg. Her right hind is always resting, and when she walks, she doesn't drag it, but steps on it then when she steps with the other hind leg she sort of loses balance on the injured leg. I haven't checked for heat yet, and it isn't swollen. Those darn vets have to call us back for an appointment . It looks like it's hurting her at the fetlock joint (ankle) or maybe even her pastern. I don't think something is broken, because she was stall kept when I noticed it, and there is nothing for her to hurt herself on in her stall. I think it was from when she stood up from laying down that she might have hurt it, but I didn't notice it until about 20 hours after is happened . Does anyone know what it might be, or what it sounds like?

Chelsea
LilRedHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:19 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Have you checked her feet? Does she have something stuck in her frog? I doubt you have a sole tester around, but if you take the blunt end of a hoof pick and press hard in different areas of her soles, does she react? She may have an abcess forming. Although it's impossible to tell without actually seeing her.
TXCowGrl82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition