Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2005, 08:40 AM  
A J
Greenbroke Member

Anyone dealt with broken tails before?

Hey guys,

I am considering a 4yo paint gelding in trade for my Standardbred mare. I am waiting to talk to his owner, but I do know that he had/has a broken vertabrae in his tail. My question is, would he still make a nice western pleasure and/or HUS? I know they break tails sometimes for show purposes (I am pretty sure that is NOT why his is broken - I imagine it was an accident), but I don't want to trade him if he would be lousy in the ring - I'm not neccesarily looking for a world champ here, just a nice local show horse.

Also, I am sure I could eventually find this info, but if any of you paint people out there know the rules that would be easier - would this cause a problem if I wanted to take him to a APHA show?

Thanks!!

Try not, do or do not. There is no try.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:27 AM  
Greenbroke Member

The question I have is the tail broken or the result of a bad alcohol block?In the stock horse industry it is common to inject alcohol into a the dock of a horse's tail to numb it. This is done on tail ringers or horses that snap the tail when cued. Pleasure horse should have a quiet tail as most people have noticed. These horses almost never move their tails. The tail appears sluggish or dead. If the alcohol block is done incorrectly it actually skews the tail or puts a kink in it high up in the tail. After a period of time, the block wears of and the horse may be able to use the tail. If the "break" is in the dock of the tail near the rump, this would be the case. If it is lower it may be a break. A break can sometimes be fixed by a chiropractor or the kink lessoned by massage. In either case, it is a blemish, and for local showing would not stop me from purchasing the horse, unless it is a glaring problem. If the horse cannot use his tail at all, I would avoid purchasing him, since , you have to keep them in or when turned out, the have to be covered in fly sheets. They have no defense against flies. Some horses also have balance issues due to the loss of use of the tail. It is a difficult thing to decide. Good Luck!

There is no such thing as a always or never in the horse world. Say that one time and some horse some where will prove you wrong!.
eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:59 PM  
Yearling Member

I used to show a Saddlebred gelding who has his tail broke in a trailering accident with a previous owner. It was actually shaped like a piggies tail and was kinda neat. Never bothered him a bit even for show!!
Fawn Lane Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 01:52 PM  
Pasture Pet

Stock horses with altered tails are barred from competiton
I would be very careful and contact the registry regarding specifics about this particular horse-if you are interested in buying him Folks sometimes call a horse with an alcohol job as having a broken tail
Let caution be your guide-have an xray to check
Does the horse have any movement?

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition