Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2005, 09:41 AM  
Yearling Member

Alfalfa Cubes

Does anyone feed alfalfa cubes? I bought some the other day while I was at TSC, we have never fed them but we are getting low on hay and it will be a few days before we can get some out so I thought I would try them. How much do you feed and if you use them how regularly do you use them and why this instead of hay? Just want some general opinions and advice. Thanks!!
Cowgirl Up 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:59 AM  
Pasture Pet

Approximately 3 lbs[by weight] equals a good sized flake
I use them-and like them No bales to be found here under 10 bux[all imported to avoid the blister beetles]
I do not feed the cubes with bentonite added[it is clay] some manufacturers use it as a binder to make the cubes stay together. most just use water vapor
I do not feed the bentonite cubes. It will say on the label
I also feed grass hay with them so they can get the long fiber roughage too
Old 08-10-2005, 10:39 AM  
Long Yearling

Be careful - they can cause a horse to choke. I bought some for the same reason you did and my mare choked on them. Had to have the Vet out for an emergency call and he said they were notorious for causing choke. No more alfalfa cubes for my horses!
lonearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:55 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I prefer dehydrated chopped alfalfa to cubes or pellets. If I use cubes or pellets of any kind I always wet them down. I keep the chokes to a minimum and controls dust as well. Since alfalfa is a key ingredient to my horses diet, I highly suggest it! I have used the cubes, after wetting them down and not had problems at all.

There is no such thing as a always or never in the horse world. Say that one time and some horse some where will prove you wrong!.
eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:09 AM  
Long Yearling

Same issue here. I have had two chokes, one fatal even after some soaking. I do use pellets though. I have had the pleasure of the dehydrated chopped alfalfa. Pretty nice.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:14 AM  
Greenbroke Member

We use alfalfa cubes occasionally. We use them as "treats" and we also will use them in the feed if we are out of reg. alfalfa or we want to use them up before they go bad in this heat. We usually break them up. We break them very fine if it is for an older horse, or small pieces for an adult horse. IMO they are too big to just put them in the feed whole. We don't use any scientific measurements Just throw in a few handfuls per bucket.
TxHorseMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:16 AM  
Pasture Pet

Absolutely-if you have had problems with them there are other options.
I feed the small SOFT cubes-big difference if they have no binders in them
The soft cubes are easily chewed and you can crush them between your thumb and forefinger
That is why I put in the proviso about the bentonite free ones.
By all means not for all but a good source for some of us in blister beetle country
Old 08-10-2005, 11:44 AM  
Yearling Member

Well crud, I did not pay attention to whether the ones I bought had bentonite in them. I just grabbed the bag that they had. I will check that when I get home and I will start soaking them or grinding them up for them. Kind of thought they were a little big to be eating whole.
Thanks for the advice - we are just using them until we get more hay and then we will use them as treats or to add a little bit with their feed.
Cowgirl Up 101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition