Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2005, 06:18 PM  
Seasoned

Leaking...

:

Last edited by thumpersgirl : 04-26-2009 at 03:29 PM.
thumpersgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:57 PM  
Yearling Member

I have no idea! try looking it up on the internet or calling your vet! Sounds gross if ya ask me! keep us updated!
Old 05-24-2005, 07:04 PM  
Seasoned

Last edited by thumpersgirl : 04-26-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:42 PM  
Coming two

I can give you some ideas as to what may be causeing it...Do you clean his sheath and have you removed the "bean"?? If you haven't that could be a problem. Smegma building up can cause a gelding to urinate inconsistently. Also leaking urine can be a sign of a bladder infection. Your vet can take a urine sample and find out. Also, if your gelding is older, sometimes they can have weakening of the muscles that hold the bladder. It also might be blockage somewhere in his urinary tract. So any way you look at it, it is deffinitely worth a vet visit. But these are the most common reasons I have heard of. Good luck with your gelding!!
Old 05-24-2005, 09:26 PM  
Kid Safe

the book doesn't have much to say about equine incontinence.

however, I do know a horse that has this problem, and the cause, in his case.

the horse is one of the residents of the rescue i volunteer at, he had EPM, and suffered some minor nerve dammage as a result. when he gets nervous or excited, he dribbles. We put diaper creme on his legs to keep it from causing a problem.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:01 AM  
Seasoned

Last edited by thumpersgirl : 04-26-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:53 AM  
Coming two

Ok here goes... The "bean" is a build up of smegma inside the "blind pouch" above the opening of his urethra in the end of his penis. If the "bean" is there and isn't removed it can interfere with urination.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EPM is also known as equine protozoal myeloencephalitis. EPM is transmitted to horses by Possums. The disease is caused by a protozoan parasite called Sarcocystis neurona which is found in possum feces. The horses ingest it via contaminated water or feed. After ingestion, the parasite invades the spinal cord and central nervous system. When the horse's immune system tries to fight off the invading parasite, inflammation of the brain and spinal cord occurs. Some symptoms of EPM include ataxia, ( one sided lameness ) and atrophy of muscles. Most owners say their horses look off in the hind end. If your horse has those symptoms a veterinarian may want to take some blood and run some tests.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:13 PM  
Seasoned

Last edited by thumpersgirl : 04-26-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:20 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpersgirl
Okay, that is yucky. My mom and I are going to attempt to clean him this weekend. It was nice talking to you all....
I just about fell out of my chair laughing at this! Joe and I are doing the dirty deed to our geldings this weekend as well (oh that came out sounding SO bad, now I have the giggles) as long as the rain stops.

So, if I don't talk to you on here again, perhaps we'll meet in the afterlife fairly soon...
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:24 PM  
Coming two

Lol, around here we have what we call the regular "sheath and teeth". It's kinda like a full-service drive through, lol!! Whenever the vet comes out and tranqs the horse for their dental work, they do sheath too... poor guys are too groggy to care, lol.

Don't think I would much like having someone mess around with MY parts, lol, so I can't blame them for being grouchy about it!!!

Lily
Old 05-25-2005, 05:28 PM  
Seasoned

Sounds like a plan Orchid. I've never had to do this before, so it could be rather interesting. I hope he doesn't hurt anyone. I'm seriously thinking about getting him some Ace or something along that line before I do anything. He's a big horse and could do some damage.
Lily, I wish the guy that did our horses teeth would do that too. He doesn't even drug them to do their teeth, just has me hold them and he starts a' filing.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:51 PM  
Kid Safe

A good idea might be to give him a good workout before attempting a such a delicate procedure....then it might be too much work to give you a fuss about it. None of the horses at the rescue have any problems with it...uh, in fact, one or two very obviously enjoy it

there are other causes of nerve dammage, too...falls, kicks, and abuse are common too, as are several types of forage poisoning (toxic weeds)

Old 05-25-2005, 10:07 PM  
Weanling Member

Thumpersgirl-
There was a post that someone wrote, can't remember who. It's a great post about sheath cleaning. The name of it is "the nitty gritty on sheath cleaning"...search for it.
Hope it helps and good luck!

Kelly
Old 05-25-2005, 10:10 PM  
Weanling Member

http://forum.horsetopia.com/viewtopi...fad6e0c59a84c6

^ I just went and grabbed that link for ya....just copy and paste, or if that doesnt work, you'll find it in health issues written by orchid.

kelly
Old 05-25-2005, 11:05 PM  
Halter broke

You guys ae so funny about the sheath cleaning....... my horses absolutely LOVE it, which is, in my opinion, even grosser than the actual procedure!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 09:15 AM  
Bombproof Member

Well....better to be loved than kicked!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:25 PM  
Seasoned

I totally agree with Orchid-I'm kind of hoping Cody is a perv and likes it. I've never been kicked before, and I'm fine with the record staying that way!
I did read the post about the cleaning. I think I'm ready for this, wish me luck!
Old 05-26-2005, 10:45 PM  
Kid Safe

Just don't think of it as "yucky"....its just another dirty part, that needs cleaning from time to time. If you think about it, picking and trimming feet is 'yuckier" considering that you KNOW what that hoof has been stepping in!

Old 05-27-2005, 07:10 AM  
Kid Safe

FYI: (since we have gone back to this subject...)
I am going to remind mare and filly owners that even though you don't have sheaths to clean, you still need to get between your girl's 'ninnies.' That is a yucky place that harbors all kinds of gross stuff!!!

(And yes, Strawberry is a 'perv' and likes getting those cleaned. Apparently they get itchy when the dirt gets between them...)
Old 05-27-2005, 07:11 AM  
Started

UGH! I hated doing that too! I leased a mare that would cow kick you if you attempted anything near her hind end. On a good day, she would let you brush her tail!
Horse_Orderly is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition