Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 12:53 PM  
Bombproof Member

Problems with Quest dewormer?

A friend told me today that she won't use Quest dewormer because she's heard "bad things" about it. No particulars, just "bad things".

I've used it in the past and had no problems, and don't intend to stop now, but I'm curious as to whether anyone knows more about this.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Old 05-19-2005, 01:13 PM  
Weanling Member

I've never heard anything about it. I've used it on all of my horses, never had a problem with it. Hmmm....

"If riding were all blue ribbons and bright lights, I would have quit long ago."- George Morris
Old 05-19-2005, 01:14 PM  
Kid Safe

I have used Quest Gel, and here's the things I have found:
1. Moxidectin (the base ingredient) is "too easily over dosed"(according to the ranch's vet) with minis and foals, and even the package says not to use it on them.
2. The gel was messy, and more easily spit out than paste. Also, had a different odor. So I ended up with more dripping down my arm, than they did down the throat.
I don't prefer it. I stick to pastes. I use Equimax at the same spot in our rotation instead.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:20 PM  
Pasture Pet

I heard that too...but again no specifics. This is what I found;

Supposed cases of horses falling ill and dying as a result of using Quest, but no real back up info. This seems to have been tied to an attempt to cause people to boycott the product as a protest against the PMU barns (PMU barns are sponsors by the same company that makes Quest).

So, it is possible there were some cases, particularly when it was a new product, but I think mostly it was a rumor started by the competition and by people wanting to hurt the manufacturer.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:30 PM  
Started

That's what I heard as well....I was hearing that horses were colicking from it...but if the horse was infested with worms...they would probably colic from whatever wormer you're using. I believe we're using it this fall on our guys and my friend used it last year with no problems.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:26 AM  
Halter broke

We had a horse die after being dosed at my barn. He was an older horse, and had been having some problems, slight colic and such. But he had started eating well again, and the vet told the girl who owned him that he had a high count of worms and would need to be dosed with Quest...she figured that was what was causing his light colicking. She dosed him, and that night, he got a HUGE case of colic, and ended up bleeding to death internally. He died a few hours after that.
You could tell he was in pain...he was pooping fine though,...about every 5 or 10 minutes...almost like he had the runs. He started sweating and rolling even when she was trying to walk him. It was really sad. He was 20 years old and had been in perfect health 2 weeks before the colicking attacks. Not sure if the Quest was related for sure, but I'm afraid to dose my horse with it now...as a matter of fact, I refuse to do so.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:24 AM  
Yearling Member

I know a couple whose horse died from Quest or so they say!!!
Old 05-20-2005, 01:50 PM  
Greenbroke Member

What is the active ingredient in Quest? I forget...
Old 05-20-2005, 02:16 PM  
Started

I have heard of it being toxic to dogs. If they eat horse manure (what dog doesn't )they can get sick.

I have also heard not to use it on broodmares.

Moxidectin is the base ingredient as Muttduck stated.

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C.Fields
Old 05-20-2005, 03:53 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I knew it had been said, but you know how you can't find something when you are looking for it. I'm gonna have to agree with muttduck and horse_orderly: it probably can be overdosed, and if the horse has worms anyway...you have to be extra careful.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:18 PM  
Started

I understand completely. Just didn't want to take credit for something Muttduck had already stated. Hope I didn't come across as 'smart', sorry if I did

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C.Fields
Old 05-20-2005, 07:53 PM  
Kid Safe

8) It's all good.

Anyway, it said on the packages of Quest Gel that it should not be used on minis, foals, or small ponies (I think) since they could be overdosed.

I know many owners, myself included, that give the whole tube of paste to an adult horse. With other brands it is safe, according to our vet. But with Quest, I think it should be carefully measured NO MATTER WHAT.

I wonder if these random cases are because of the habit of giving the whole tube?

Here at the house, I strictly stick to Equimax/Ivercare for our Ivermectin bases, Safe Guard/Panacur for Fenbendazole, and Stongid/Rotectin2 for Pyrantel Pamoate.

I don't use the Moxidectin bases. Just seems iffy, especially with Strawberry not full sized. She gets the same type as Emma, but proper dose.

Moxidectin falls into the rotation IN PLACE OF Ivermectin.

So for those who rotate, maybe the accidents happened when Quest was given right after an Ivermectin base the time before?

Dunno, throwing thoughts out for you. I personally won't use it. Just because of the overdose risk.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:37 PM  
Kid Safe

I have heard that there are no signs of resistance to ivermectin, so wny replace it?

Does Quest or the related Moxidectin bases have any advantages over Ivermectin? If not, I would definately avoid that wormer, if only for the risk of toxic overdose.

Old 05-21-2005, 04:27 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Ivermectin is less resistant, but worms can still get resistant to it. And Ivermectin does not kill everything, so you still need to rotate.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:02 AM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
Ive used Quest without any problems. But yes I always make sure it is carefully measured, but then again, I always do that with any wormer. Now however I dont use Quest, not because I dont like it, but because I found I like Equimax, Safegaurd and Ivermectin. I rotate using these three now. I do not use Quest in horses less than 1yr old, broodmares, and ponies. For those horses I stick to Safegaurd and Equimax.

Just as a side Q:
Raine is now well over two months. Can I begin to worm her, of course carefully. And if so, what wormer could I use safely on her? I read one label on one wormer and it said no less than 6-8 wks old, is that a little early though? I dont want to hurt precious Raine! Others say three months, and even other brands say 5-6months! So which is best?
Ive usually just ended up worming at 4 months with safegaurd, just curious to know if some people do it earlier or later.

Brittany
Old 05-23-2005, 11:06 AM  
Bombproof Member

Thorarb -

I see that Equimax is now approved for foals over 4 weeks. So I would think that at 2 months, you would be safe to use that.

With all the bugs you have in Florida, I'd start sooner rather than later, so she doesn't get heavily infested before her first deworming.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Old 05-25-2005, 11:10 AM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
Neat I will have a look at the Equimax at my feed store. That would work out great as my horses next rotation is Equimax. Just didnt want to give her something too strong. Im such a nutcase.

Brittany
Old 06-10-2005, 06:10 AM  
Red
Halter broke

Lat year I bought and brought home a "not well looked after QH gelding"
The previous owner said they used a daily wormer, but they didn't say it was 2 years ago. Anyways , I wormed with Quest. Unfortunately for him Quest works REALLY well and because of the huge die off of parasites all at once he colicked. He pooped out piles of worms, blood etc. Luckily my vet was able to come immedietly and he pulled through. It turned into a 3 month affair that also eneded up costing alot more than a tube of wormer.
The vet warned me that Quest as part of a rotational worming program, should come after at least 2 other wormings and dosing must be precise. And never worm a horse you don't knoow with Quest. He preferred we use some other products.I know of a girl in NWO that recieved a settlement from the makers of Quest after losing a filly.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:19 PM  
Started

I have to admit, I won't go near Quest. I don't know all the ins and outs about Quest, but it seems to be such a dangerous wormer to use when there are others on the market that I don't have to be so concerned about. Don't get me wrong, I respect that wormers as a medication, so am careful with the dosage, etc., but this Quest tends to scare me.

Anne
Old 06-10-2005, 09:26 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I'd just like to point out again that it is not the wormer that is causing problems. It is people that aren't properly educated using the wormer wrong. Of course, if you're not sure it is better to be safe than sorry, and if you're not sure how to administer any wormer/medication, by all means DONT. I just don't like to see a good wormer/company get a bad name because of badly educated people.

Closed Thread

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition