Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 07:30 AM  
Kid Safe

Removing sand from the gut...

All the talk of colic lately got me wondering about the best product for sand removal. Also, I think it is one of those 'not talked about' things that we should be talking about for the sake of new owners.

I recently jumped off the Bran wagon, and started using psyllium. I found the product called Sand Clear recently, and wondered about your thoughts. (Now that I am 5 days into using it already! ) The 3 pound tub seems to be just enough to do Strawberry and Emma for the week it recommends.

Anyway, any opinions?
Old 04-07-2005, 09:17 AM  
Halter broke

I use metimucil, it's 99% psylium same as sand clear for a whole lot less money. One big jug of it last both my horses the 7 days required every month.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:57 AM  
Coming two

I have a horse who is a chronic colicker, and I have searched high and low to find the best products. I used Sand Clear, it is great but a bit too pricey. I used metamucil too for a while then I discovered a product called Fiberpsyll, by SELECT the best, and it works wonderfully, it's about half the price of Sand Clear and it comes in 5lb or 15lb containers. You feed it for three days and then stop three days. The 5lb bucket is a 60 days supply for $12.00. It's active ingredients are Psyllium, Bran and Beet Pulp. So it's got Alllllll the gut clearing goodies in it Also I have my horse on XTN competitive feed by Nutrena. It is high in oils and it helps keep my mare moving. So there's what I use, hope that helps.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:08 PM  
Coming two

I agree with mitrakrider-- our barn is a sand base in the pens (we do live in the desert after all, lol) and I asked my shoer about Sand Clear-- she said don't waste your money, go with metamucil. Easily done, lol. But slightly embarassing to buy enormous jugs of metamucil at Wal-Mart.......

Lily
Old 04-08-2005, 07:39 PM  
Kid Safe

So the cashier looks at you like this---->
And you are looking like this----->

Anyway, how do you measure out what to give them with the metamucil?
Old 04-08-2005, 08:03 PM  
Long Yearling

removing sand from gut

Also you can use generic metamucil which is even less expensive and has the same amount of active ingerdients. Some dollar stores carry it or Wal-Mart carries a generic. I use the scoop provided in container once per day for 7 days in a row once per month. HeeHee, that was a mouthful! Stormy

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:11 PM  
Long Yearling

removing sand from gut

Speaking of sand in our horses gut...Do you know how to tell if your horse has an overload of sand in their gut? I use a quart jar... put about 4-5 balls(Those are big ones) of poop in it...fill remaining jar with water...put on lid...shake,shake,shake Let stand 1/2 hour or so and check the amount of sand in bottom. Poopy floats to top and sand will fall. I figure if the ring around the bottom of the jar is filled then your horse is overloaded. Its metamucil time!!! Stormy

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:58 PM  
Kid Safe

Stormy, our monthly Horse and Pony magazine had an article that said how to do it in the latest issue!!! Weird! I guess that's what spurred this thread!
Old 04-09-2005, 05:48 AM  
Long Yearling

removing sand from gut

Muttduck, How did the article say to check the sand? Some use a clear rubber glove. I find the jar the best way to explain it to others. Have you tried it? Stormy

Old 04-09-2005, 07:08 AM  
Kid Safe

Nope, EXACTLY like you posted. The jar method!
Old 04-10-2005, 12:26 AM  
Coming two

If you have a stethoscope you can also hear sand in the gut. It sounds "swish swish" like water moving.

Lily
Old 04-10-2005, 12:44 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I get mine at Sam's Club. I get a huuuge tub for like $5

Closed Thread

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition