Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 AM  
Halter broke

Horse with swollen penis

Philip is a 24 year old Arab gelding who I rescued off the feedlot in mid-November. He was emaciated and in bad shape. After we got him it snowed and our driveway froze so we couldn't get the horse trailer up/down to go get his teeth floated so until Feb he was on mash as his diet with free-choice hay. He is still skinny and this morning I was brushing him and noticed his penis had swelled up huge. Pus/urine is dried up and leaking a drip at a time. He ate his grain this morning and he drinks water - not a lot but some.

I've sent pictures to our vet already and I'm hoping we can take him in today to get him checked out but right now he is on a farm call and won't be back until noon. 3-4+ hours. What the heck do I do? Just wait until I hear something? He is in a stall with 24/7 turnout in a small run and buddied next to a mare.

I don't have any butte, I have banamine. Is there anything I can do to relieve some of the swelling or even some pain? He doesn't look in pain but I can't help but thinking that he must be...

The penis is swollen even in the sheath.

kyleeloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:45 AM  
Kid Safe

Normally I would say ice/cold water. I'm not sure about in that area? Hopefully you have heard from the vet.

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:08 AM  
Coming two

Oh god the poor guy. I really hope the vet gets out there soon. Was his sheath cleaned recently? Or when was the last time it was cleaned? I wonder if maybe he got stung by a bee or bit by something when he was "letting it hang" in the pasture. Hopefully you hear back from the vet soon!
"Listen to the mustn't, child, listen to the don'ts, listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts, listen to the never haves, then listen close to me - anything can happen, child. Anything can be."- Shel Silverstein
jclark343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 AM  
Halter broke

I would say some KY jelly, just to keep things moist until the vet arrives. Has he been checked for a bean? Sounds like he may have some type of obstruction.
aussieshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:35 AM  
Started

Ouch! I don't have any personal experience with such a condition but I just saw a page on Facebook the other day about a rescue horse that had a swollen penis. I'm not saying this is related in any way but you did say Philip is a rescue horse and was emaciated. They posted a photo of the poor guy and this is the description used as to the cause:

This was caused by low protein. This is something that happens in the most advanced stages of starvation. The cells are not getting nutrients, so they soak up the water in the system and there isn't a way to drain them. In this case, the horse's head, extremities and anything else close to the ground becomes severely swollen. Billy is the ONLY horse we have taken in with low protein syndrome who actually survived. We lost a mare out of the first Ryder group, Billy's brother (who became affected the same day Billy did), and a filly. All the while this was going on, the penis became infected. A massive course of antibiotics was effective.

If you have Facebook, a "graphic" picture is here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Again - NOT saying this is the same thing. In my opinion, as long as you have the vet coming out (and I really think you need it ASAP) I wouldn't do or give him anything until evaluated by the vet.

Good luck and keep us posted on the cause and outcome.

There's more to life than horses ----- but NOT much!

Valerie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:46 PM  
Bombproof Member

Yow that looks painful

My first though is a bee sting

Have you noticed him urinating ? It's the flow a stream or kinda fanned out ? Fanned out would possibly be a bean or obstruction. Color of urine ?

I sure hope the vet has some answers and relief for the poor guy.

Keep us updated.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:56 PM  
Kid Safe

Oh my gosh!! I don't know what time it is there, and how long it has been, but my biggest concern is that the swelling is going to cause necrosis... That is baddddddd.... I would almost think to suggest giving him some banamine or bute or something to try and bring down that swelling. And yes, I say cold hose it!!

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:58 PM  
Pasture Pet

Poor guy, i would just keep oiled with something , anything at this point. and did you notice if he was normal, when? perhaps that is why he was at the auction and no one noticed.

banamine but in the mouth, just squirt. or wait for the vet.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:04 PM  
Kid Safe

Yeah, I might add either oral banamine paste or IV (if you can) never give it IM.

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.

Last edited by Sirita_88 : 03-15-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:21 PM  
Halter broke

So he isn't sure what is up with him. He gave him a dose of Penicilin and while I was waiting I was told to clean his sheath with water/iodine mixture and pull the bean out. Took me about 30 minutes and it came out in 4 pieces, each about half an inch long. Couldn't believe the size!

He told me it could be caused from several things, spider bite, (no bee stings since it is only 35 degrees), horse kick (even though the mare next to him would have to kick through a panel), or neglectful care since he came from the feedlot.

Tonight he will be started on a round of anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial injections. I'll find out the name of them soon enough.

Thanks everyone for the help! I'll keep you updated on how he does.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:00 PM  
Pasture Pet

Poor guy! Glad you had the vet out and that he has you taking care of him!

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:28 PM  
Long Yearling

I've had the misfortune of having two horses with swollen penises.

The first was a yearling. I had penned him up as we was going to the vets the next day to get gelded ha ha. A fillly next door was in heat and he tried to jump the fence. I saw the whole thing. With a hard on, he got half way over the fence and fell on it, crushing his penis. This was about 8pm. By morning he looked like your gelding. We were going to the vets anyway................... Diaretics, anitbotics, bute and cold hoseing. Vet gave my colt a 50/50 chance. He had just treated another colt but the skin had split and became necrotic so they had to put him down. Thankfully it was still cool in the evening and no flys. Kept on stall rest and hosed him twice a day, diarectics twice a day. Poor horse really didn't like needles after this. But he did recover with just a bent member. We gelded after he healed..
The second was my stallion. He cornered a mare and she kicked him. The vet put him on anitboitics, a dieretic (same thing they give race horses) and bute. I was also to cold hose him.

Thank god he wasn't as bad as the little guy and healed up fine. This all happened within a few weeks of each other about 14 years ago and never since.

I must say, it was shocking how swollen the yearling was. It was bigger than a football.
Chrystalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 AM  
Halter broke

Shots doesn't seem to have helped him at all. I've tried for 2 days to get ahold of my vet. Called around 6-7 times each day. This is really frustrating to me because I hate sitting here doing nothing. Going to try again today and if I get no answer I'm taking him to a different one. Has anyone ever made a sling before, to kind of hold his penis up? I was reading from previous comments/various webpages it can basically rot of from excess blood pooling.

He paces frequently when I take his neighbor out of her stall and it "sloshes" it around so I don't know if that is helping or not...
Old 03-20-2013, 09:37 AM  
Kid Safe

Take him now! Stop waiting for someone who doesn't seem to give a dang! You, obviously love this boy, don't let loyalty to a vet (that doesn't deserve it) get in the way!!

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I agree- I'd go elsewhere.
*Giddy Up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 AM  
Started

Get him to a vet he might have caught it on a fence or something. I found a horse like that and the vet said if the owner would have taking him to a vet then it could have been fixed. I looks uncomfortable and infected. Second opinion is always needed. Before it is too late and he has that for life .

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
flexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 AM  
Halter broke

He's be in his stall + run, no way for another horse to kicked him OR for him to get caught in something... I honestly have no idea how this happened. Got another vet on the line and he won't be out until 4pm. (6 hours) Just waiting now...

I've been told, while I wait, to clean the scabby parts off. Here is a picture of him today, I feel horrible!

PS. the yellow/red/white part is AFTER that part of the scab came off.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 AM  
Pasture Pet

I hate to tell you this, you already know, it looks worse today than the first photo.
and the first vet that has not called or come again to see him, i would hand him the bill,
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:23 PM  
Weanling Member

Black tissue means it's necrotic (dead tissue).

At this point I don't believe the vet coming out today will be able to save most of what you see. Not sure how a horse can survive the loss of such a body part, but if vet can't do something today the infection from the necrosis alone could kill him, and very very soon
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 PM  
ray
Long Yearling

Yes it looks.worse to me too...jeez i wish i could tell you what to do but honestly i dont know..

If wishes were horses, then beggers would ride!
ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition