Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2011, 02:57 PM  
Coming two

Fat horse, no feed, grazing muzzle? HELP!

My gaited gelding is getting way too fat. My horses pasture is ate down and they are being fed a round bale. He is on about a handful of pelleted grain and one 2 oz scoop of hoof supplement. Other than that, all he is getting is hay. My question is, will a grazing muzzle keep him from eating as much or can they not eat hay through them at all? Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 12-29-2011, 08:14 PM  
Started

A grazing muzzle should slow him down significantly as far as how much hay he can eat. I probably wouldn't leave it on him all the time if I were you, maybe only during the night or a good part of the day. It can be hard with the really easy keepers when they're eating free choice hay, one winter I put the three "fatties" on my property into a separate paddock and fed them measured amounts of hay from square bales (plus their handfuls of grain), and even then it was a few weeks before I really noticed any difference in their weights. Good luck!
sfl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:42 PM  
Long Yearling

One of the owners at the barn I manage just put a grazing muzzle on her severely obese horse. Same kind of situation, free choice hay and the horse is getting so big we are worried about founder. We don't have a place to seperate the horse as she won't tolerate a stall. It is on 24/7 per the owners request and so far so good. She always has hay sticking out of the muzzle and has no problems drinking.

Against the grain should be a way of life
Don't take the free ride in your own life
mlh619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:33 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
I believe there are now slow feed netting you can put over around bale, and I would much rather use that than a muzzle
I know many people like grazing muzzles, but I don`t. The first option, of course is to have a separate pen and not have free feeding.Also, horses that are easy keepers can benefit from the same type of hay as an IR horse-thus one that is low in NSC. What type of hay is in these round bales
Also, I would not feed grain. I would used soaked beet pulp to mix his hoof suppliment in
Here is one link for a slow feeder netting for round bales
http://www.bigbalebuddy.com/slowbalebuddy.html
Old 01-06-2012, 02:25 PM  
Newborn Member

Im my experience grazing mussels are a huge pain in the butt. A breeding farm i used to work on had to use them on some mares that were super fat in the summer, and none of them kept them on for more then like 4 hours then they'd be off. Also in the winter (if you get winter where you live?) you have to remember they graze to stay warm, so cutting off their hay/grass might make them a bit chilly
emily_707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:40 PM  
Bombproof Member

Remeber also, if you have no pasture, thier noses are going in the sand/dirt. Hay offers relief from bordom and like previously said, hay is warmth.

If you must restrict hay, why not put some panels around your hay and then remove the panels on 1-2 sides as needed thru the day.

If you are feeding that little amt of grain, look into a ration balancer if thats not what he is already on.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 PM  
Bombproof Member

Check out Cinch Nets or Texas Hay Nets. They are small mesh hay nets designed for the large round bales.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:10 PM  
Yearling Member

Why is no one saying exercise?

Yes you can reduce food or add a grazing muzzle, but if you are not on an exercise regime then your horse isn't going to slim down.

If the horse is rideable I recommend long trots..., going up and down hills, through sand- builds muscle.
If not then lunge every other day- trotting helps build muscle
Old 01-07-2012, 07:13 AM  
Started

You're right mini, but if the horse is a chowhound, it'll be pretty hard to exercise him enough to keep his weight down. I had a boarder who rode her horse 5-6 days a week, with usually one day involving 4 hours on the trail. When the horse wasn't being ridden, his head was buried in the round bale or grazing and he was still FAT. That is, until we dry lotted him 12 hours a day, then he finally slimmed down.
sfl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:08 AM  
Halter broke

I just bought a slow feeder net from Cinch Chics...got it in the mail yesterday! I have to wait for this roll of hay to get eaten down. I am going to take a photo of this roll of hay today, at 7 days...and then once I get the net on the next roll, take a 7 day comparison photo. I will have to post up the results

Not sure what your situation is as far as boarding, owning your own place...but I have seen folks put in temporary fencing to create alleyways to make their horses walk the pasture more to get to their grazing/watering and so on. They also build different hay receptacles to make the hay harder to get to...slowing down their consumption.

I would certainly add in more exercise if possible though, whether it be round pen work or just riding.

I wish my group were such easy keepers, but I can see where this would be an equally difficult situation.
FeelingFroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:34 AM  
Bombproof Member

I also heard of a horse being fat due to protien defficiency..............anyone else hear about this ?? I guess would make sence, little/no grain (no protein).

Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini5772 View Post
Why is no one saying exercise?

Yes you can reduce food or add a grazing muzzle, but if you are not on an exercise regime then your horse isn't going to slim down.

If the horse is rideable I recommend long trots..., going up and down hills, through sand- builds muscle.
If not then lunge every other day- trotting helps build muscle
My gelding was ridden very regularly and stayed FAT on 1 cup of grain am/pm.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition