Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 06:11 PM  
Long Yearling

Putting weight on a young horse

I don't know what to do. My new horse, Baby, is 3 yrs old and for some reason isn't putting on weight like my other horses. She has plenty of weight everywhere but her rear end. You can't see her ribs or any of that but her rear end is so thin it almost reminds you of the beginning stages of a emaciated horse!
I don't know how to get her weight to go to her butt.

Her diet

2 flakes of alfalfa in the morning

2 scoops of sweet feed with grow colt supplement and veggie oil in the afternoon

2 flakes of alfalfa at night

beside odd and end treats through out the day.
horsegirl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:33 PM  
Yearling Member

Take her off the sweet feed. Sweet feed is hot calories. She needs cool calories. Switch her to a feed MADE for growing horses. I like nutrena mare and foal, some like omelene, some like TC growth. Depends on what you can get where you are at.

I also like Purina Ultium, which I believe is a cool calorie complete feed.
Summersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:02 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
give her free choice of a good mix hay , get rid of the sweet feed. If you wish to add more calories, then feed cool calories in the form of fats and some soaked beet pulp, which is a fiber easy to digest, thus improves gut digestion, an dis known to help a horse gain weight.
If feeding hay only twice a day, doe she have good pasture inbetween those feedings?. She needs some type of forage available pretty much full time, as that is the way horses are designed to eat. The protein and energy level of that forage depends on the horse
Old 10-13-2011, 11:55 AM  
Pasture Pet

Pictures?

I agree with Smilie in principle, but I do understand that in some areas hay just isn't as available as it is in Alberta, so you do have to make some concessions.

Is she turned out regularly?

Sometimes 3 year olds mature in ways that are odd to look at. My 3 year old filly has a giant body and head, but underdeveloped neck and rump. I keep hoping she evens out soon! I also have a fully mature Saddlebred/Arab cross who has a tiny rump compared to the rest of him...in his case it was just that he didn't do well with the genetics from the cross and ended up a bit of a frankenstein...a 15.3 hand horse should not wear a 72" blanket!

If the rump is really weak, consider working her lightly to get her to build muscle and hopefully spread the weight out better. Keep an eye out for any odd movement behind which could indicate a neurological condition which could also lead to the poor development behind.

You may also want to get the nutrients in your hay analazyed so you can suppliment her accordingly based on what is missing from your hay.
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 PM  
Coming two

I agree with Smilie & EA suggestions. from what you are feeding her its not meeting her requirements. To start I would be giving Free choice hay, off the sweet feed & getting on a balance supplement,I too would be adding beet pulp to the mix.
Your mare's breeding/genetics she is always going to have a more bony less develop hind end,especially to us use to the hind quarter of a stock horse breed. Besides the more balanced diet ,excercise to tone & develop those muscles & topline will help. I know my one mare at 3 yrs when she was growing she was more bits & pieces,not very balanced growth .She was at a trainers for much the show season & while she was not really underweight,she needed more weight on her look better for showing. trainer had upped her feeding I also had them add beet pulp to her mix. Other horses in the barn were also in show training getting pretty much the same diet & they did better weight wise,yet my mare kept needing her feed requirements increased & it still didn't seem enough,she metabolized it different obviously... Well that mare is now 5 & looks mature this year!! she has balanced out body wise & really thicken up{not that she wasn't chunky build before}but now She is really a Chunk ... at 3 yrs she was 15.1 & wore a size 80 blanket,don't think that would do her now
paintedpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:02 PM  
Long Yearling

she is on pasture 24/7 with 4 other horses (well 3 others and a pony) and gets 2 flakes of alfalfa twice a day. I'll cut the sweet feed and switch her to ultium growth, and add beet pulp. As well as up her feed rotation. Thanks you guys.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:33 PM  
Weanling Member

I'll tell you what I know, from working at Tractor Supply, and my own personal experiences.

Fact: Soy bean oil has 1200 calories/tbsp. You can get it at your local feed mill. Its amazing for conditioning horses & taster better then Corn Oil. All the horses in my trainers barn (35+) get 3 pumps of Soy Bean Oil out of a Cocoa Soya bottle.

My current experience: Recently, my stallion was switched from Sweet Mix (from his previous owners) (via Tractor Supply) to Nutrena Safe Choice (my trainers feed). He dropped weight like 150 lbs in 2 months. And he wasn't the only one in the barn. ALL the horses (ages from suckling to 18) dropped weight. Everyone but the APHA Halter stallion who was still on Sweet Mix. So...my trainer switched everyone over to Sweet Mix. And everyone has gained their weight back. And NONE of them are "hot". The horses all have different work loads too, so its a good indication this is a good all around feed that is cheap ($9.49-ish).

My stallion is a Arabian, and he still falls asleep in the crossties daily. And he is Halter bred (i.e. bred to be crazy hot naturally). The rest of the horses are either AQHA/APHA (4 of those are also stallions) with a 18 yr old Arab mare & a 12 yr old Appendix QH. You will never convince me that Sweet Mix make s a horse "hot". Its a myth in my opinion, out of the 35 horses stalled in that barn, ALL of them are still dead as door nails.

I also have my stallion on a Omegatin/Manna Pro Calf Manna mix, because of his high performance work load, and he is filling out beautifully.

When people come into the store looking for a weight gain solution, I always first tell them about the Soy Bean oil. Then I tell them about Calf Manna, because it has been proven time and again to be a good quality grain. Omegatin, which was given to me by my mom, has also been a good feed. I thought/was hoping that it would perk my guy up a bit, because to be honest, he is almost to quiet to be shown in halter, but it hasn't. So...in essence, none of the things my trainer has fed has made the horses hot.

Just a note, the Nutrena Safe Choice was the culprit for the barn I am at. I happened to mention it to a customer one day and she said "Oh I don't use that anymore after they changed the recipe. Its a bunch of crap now." I don't know how true that is, but I suspect it is as my trainer was feeding Safe Choice for over a year without any problems and then suddenly, bam!
anbphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:25 PM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbphotography View Post
I'll tell you what I know, from working at Tractor Supply, and my own personal experiences.

Fact: Soy bean oil has 1200 calories/tbsp. (snipped a bunch)
Did you add an extra zero to that number? Soy Bean oil is high is calories, but not THAT high. More like just under 2000 calories per cup, so 120 ber tbsp would make sense.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:50 PM  
Long Yearling

yeah I'll try it. I have her on senior feed (vet recommended for her and my standie), beet pulp, and im still giving her the grow colt supplement. She also gets alfalfa and I bought local hay bales that are high in protein and threw them out for extra hay since our grass is getting low. anything else I can give/try?
Old 10-23-2011, 12:02 PM  
Newborn Member

I would give her a Panacur PowerPac dewormer as well.
hucknjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:13 PM  
Pasture Pet

Getting a fecal egg count and basic bloodwork may not be a bad idea.

What type of senior feed? There are so many out there, and some seem high in fat and others quite low.

Curious why you are worried about protein levels; 12-14% should be fine. I don't think there are risks of higher protein levels other than stinky pee, but you may be spending money you don't need to be.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:31 PM  
Newborn Member

Great Question! I have the same one.

We are right now have a 17 month old filly and a 29 month old filley.

The older one is a mix (Arabian/TWH) and is very compact in nature. She was almost a fescu baby because when her mother was bought, nobody knew she was pregnant. Right now, we are feeding her a folgers can of Seinor feed (has about all of the same nurients as Mare and Foal and we can feed the 20 year it as well without the runs), half a can of shredded alfalfa in the morning and evening. She also get 4 flakes of hay at the same time. We have now added a midday feed of a can of sienor. We were giving her beat pulp, but was getting no where with it, She seems to be building muscle now.

The other filey we bought on Saturday. They were feeding her 2 or 3 times a week a mixture of hay and some grain. The rest of the tme they were grazing. We are now feeding her half a can of sienor in the morning and evening with two flakes of hay with each meal, and half a can of alfalfa. She is also getting a mid day meal of half a can of sienor as well.

They are on what is essentially is a dry lot so they are depend on what we feed.

Any suggestion or thoughts?

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition