Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 06:59 AM  
Seasoned

tricks, tips for giving bute

My horse is not fond of bute. Right now I'm giving her the paste form because it's easier to ensure she is actually getting it. After this runs out, I have a tub of powder, but when I've used it in the past, she won't eat the grain. Does anyone have any good tips, tricks or hints to get her to eat it?

I've tried molasses mixed with the grain and the powder, but it didn't fool her.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:04 AM  
Yearling Member

They have apple flavor now. I mix mine with sweet feed both the plain pills you have to smash and the flavor powder but mine loves her grain. you could also mix it with syrup or something and use a old wormer tube or syringe and do it that way or use the bute paste tube just mix it with something even water and squirt it in.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:30 AM  
Newborn Member

Large amounts of applesauce and molasses in his grain tricked my picky horse into eating bute and SMZ's. The first few days he tried to pick around it, but eventually finished. If that doesn't work, you'll probably just have to squirt it into her mouth : /
jumpwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:47 AM  
Yearling Member

Applesauce usually does the trick. Or do what was already mentioned and put the powder in a syringe, mix with water or apple juice and squirt it into your horse's mouth... But I bet applesauce will work
JustEquit8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 AM  
Kid Safe

Try what has been suggested. Although I had a mare that would not touch it. When I put it in grain, she somehow managed to eat around it. I used molasses with chunks of apples and carrots. Nope. I used apple sauce. Nope. I added molasses to grain, that worked.
dreamcleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:02 AM  
Halter broke

They also have Peppermint flavored bute, in the powder form.....I will put it in a large syringe, add a little water, shake and give it just like you would the paste.....my horses won't touch it at all if I put it in their feed.
LovesEveryHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:23 AM  
Bombproof Member

A tbsp. of sugar sweetened strawberry Koolaid added to moistened feed, along with the bute, worked for my horse.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:16 AM  
Seasoned

Thanks for the tips. I will try each one until something works. I have the big tub o' bute that is citrus flavored (what a stupid flavor for horses). Vet never offered or mentioned any other flavor, probably she is trying to unload all these citrus tubs....
Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 AM  
Coming two

I put the reccomended dose of powder into a syringe and then add apple juice, molasses, any liquid the horse likes and administer it like wormer. They get it all and you don't have to worry about wasting it.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:16 PM  
Seasoned

If I have paste bute, I mix it with syrup and put it in a large syringe. But first I cut off the little connector for the needle and enlarge the hole.

I have crushed the large bute tablets and made my own paste and then mixed it with syrup. Either way, my horse like the taste of syrup.
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 PM  
Weanling Member

I had to give my horse medicine every day. So i cut the top off an apple and scooped out some of the middle and put the medicine in and put the top back on and he gobbled it down. He got an apple every day.
rivherrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:10 AM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to Jess6092
We have used warm water mixed into a syringe to dissolve pills or powder bute then just shoot it in the mouth like the paste stuff. Works like a charm for several types of pill or powder medicines that horses don't enjoy, like SMZs etc.
Jess6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:23 AM  
Seasoned

I mix mine with their daily beet pulp. That works for me.

You could stand there with a blowgun and wait for your horse to yawn
Red Gate Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 AM  
GV4
Yearling Member

Great thing about Gypsies is their great devotion to licking the plate clean! I would put whole bute tabs in Bella's feeder before feeding anything else. She would lick it clean and ask for her regular meal! Gotta love food motivated horses!
GV4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition