Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2011, 09:51 AM  
Weanling Member

Hay Stretcher

I was browsing around on Tractor Supply and came accross this product. With things being as dry as they are here, I was thinking it looked like a good option to help stretch what little hay may be available this winter. Also, would it be a good option to stretch my limited pasture? Next year, I will be fertilizing and seeding, but this year is mostly weeds and with no rain, there is little I can do about that.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/...0-lbs--2520080
Foxtrotter0721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:46 AM  
Halter broke

Hay Stretcher

What is it made of???
Draft Horse Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:08 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I've heard of this product before and had it recommended to me as well, but never tried it. what's the lowdown?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM  
Weanling Member

I can't find an ingredient list. I'll probably have to look at the bag at the store for that.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:57 AM  
Yearling Member

I use it with all my horses right now and they love it! My old guys have been getting it for about 2 years now since the mare really does not eat hay any more. But my other horses I decided to add it into their feed and it is doing its job. The hay that I put out is lasting them all day rather than me coming to the barn at night and there being not one single strand of hay laying around sometimes there is a pile of it.... granted my guys are on 24/7 pasture but the grass is REALLY dry and cruddy right now.

RIP Katie,Mac,Cupid,Elmo, Dudley and Cheyeene you are gone but you will never be forgotten. Cheyeene the barn will never be the same without you.
MoneyPitFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:47 AM  
Weanling Member

What are the ingredients? Wasn't listed
on website.

Why not just feed timothy pellets? Or chaffe hay?

Curious to know......
2manyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:37 PM  
Weanling Member

Timothy pellets are very expensive here, and I don't really know what chaffe hay is. Most likely, I will supplement with some timothy or alfalfa pellets, but I want to be prepared no matter what happens!
Carlie and Jones are the first horses (well, horse and mule) that I've had completely on my own. We've done well so far, but haven't had to deal with a drought yet!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:34 AM  
Weanling Member

In light of the hay situation, I bought a few bags of Timothy cubes. We ended up getting a whole truckload of hay so I haven't used them yet. But it seems like a good move if you're not sure you'll be able to get enough hay. Haven't tried Hay stretcher though.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:19 AM  
Kid Safe

I know my local TSC has their own brand (Dumor, (sp?) ) of hay stretcher. It is a 12% protein, 1.5% fat and 32% fiber. I have not bought it but have looked at it, it reads as if it is a pellet feed. It is said to be able to be fed soaked (wet) or dry. Sounds kind of like the beet pulp idea to me...

I'm not convinced this is the way to go as TSC also has really nice quality cubes of alfalfa, timothy or a mix of both of these readily available and for about the same price.

Having an option and thinking about the "what ifs" is great... so far though, I am able to get good hay and will stick with that. Thankfully, I don't have a horse with limited abilities to chew and digest hay itself...that would add another dimension to my feeding needs for sure.

For now though, hay bales then I would do hay cubes myself.

Good luck.
horselover4life is online now   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition