Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 AM  
Kid Safe

KS & OK Members, Who Is Your Equine Vet??

Trying to find a vet who knows didly about horses in this area is like trying to find my fairy godmother! Who do you use? I need recommendations!!!!

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 PM  
Kid Safe

Anybody?

but it helps!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:34 PM  
Long Yearling

There is a great young vet in Marion (I know, not exactly close to you, but he's good). He used to work for Interstate Equine in Edmond, OK.

Most of the time I use Equine Surgery & Medicine on the north side of Wichita near Hillside & Ks Hwy 254. They have reasonable prices, and I really like Dr. Jim Speer. Had an issue with the younger vet (Jason something) when he first started, but have gotten along well with him the last couple of years.

For anything major, I go straight to Oklahoma State University. Cannot beat the technology and resources they have. We have also had good luck with Interstate Equine in the past.

"No horse ever goes as fast as the money you spend on him."
Rockin GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:52 PM  
Weanling Member

Sundancer, I haven't had a lot of experience or exposure, but I was impressed when I took Duke to Oakridge Equine. They're just off I-35 & Waterloo Rd. In the Edmond/Guthrie area. It would be a haul for you, but they seem to have excellent facilities. Here's their website.

http://www.oakridgevet.com/

Good luck,
Heidi
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 PM  
Kid Safe

Thank you both for the responses! All info is welcome!
Actually, what about equine dentist??

but it helps!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:47 PM  
Newborn Member

I know several people who use Dr Hickman Wichita KS. He was a farrier before becoming a DVM - does chriopractics/acupuncture. Except chriopractics is osteopathics -- like he positions the horse's body and the horse moves and adjusts itself. Its way cool I hear and his adjustments last. He does racing comission work so is real sharp on lameness. Treats your horse like it is a member of his family. Look on youtube -- I tried to attach link to youtube video's on equine denistry education stuff he did for a horse science class -- he is thorough. I like it when you get to see how he does the denistry and inside the mouth. If it didn't transfer go to youtube and kancutter - is the how I found it. There is some on lameness too.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?...eature=related
fortheloveofhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:47 PM  
Newborn Member

I know several people who use Dr Hickman Wichita KS. He was a farrier before becoming a DVM - does chriopractics/acupuncture. Except chriopractics is osteopathics -- like he positions the horse's body and the horse moves and adjusts itself. Its way cool I hear and his adjustments last. He does racing comission work so is real sharp on lameness. Treats your horse like it is a member of his family. Look on youtube -- I tried to attach link to youtube video's on equine denistry education stuff he did for a horse science class -- he is thorough. I like it when you get to see how he does the denistry and inside the mouth. If it didn't transfer go to youtube and kancutter - is the how I found it. There is some on lameness too.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheloveofhorses View Post

Preston is great - but he's at the track in LA during the summer and only comes back to Andover in the late fall/winter - we use Equine Sports Medicine on 45th and Hillside off Rt 254. Dr. Riding is retired, so the main vet now is Dr. Spears but we like Dr. Keiser as he's got a bit of a softer touch - and they have a new woman vet who is more holistic and does chiropratic. Their phone number is 316 744-2007. We've had all our horses there for some reason or another - Casper with his hock injury that nearly severed a ligament to teeth floating to heal injections - they are aways professional and treat the horses wonderfully - they are the premier equine vet in this area. Dr. Brooks is closer to you on 31st and 143rd in Wichita, we used him when we first moved the horses here and they were in Mulvane - but he had a heartattack and stroke last year but is coming back and he's also very good, but doesn't have the manpower or advanced equipment that Equine Sports does.
Lambee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 PM  
Newborn Member

ahhh thanks for the info however,
Dr. Hickman comes back every couple of weeks and works on horses

Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 AM  
Kid Safe

Very interesting, I have more options than I thought! I love Dr Brooks, his health has been such a sad thing. I'm glad he's doing better now!!

but it helps!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:56 PM  
Newborn Member

We sure appreciate Dr. Hickman from Wichita KS (on 29th street -- easy for us to hop off turnpike at Andover exit).
He's one of the best and most knowledgeable vets I've ever been around. Have learned so much from him as he is generous to share his knowledge (i.e. client education) which ultimately helps the horse.
We bring our dental's to him --- he addresses each tooth in the mouth and then works the mouth as a whole. Knows chriopractics so can fix the TMJ problems. We take our lameness cases to him. Sometimes its just an easy chriopractic adjustment (really osteopathic adjustment --he uses a different technique that works and lasts). He is trained in accupuncture if that route is needed. Has the technology like shock wave, computerized radiography, etc etc if needed for diagnositics. Sure is worth the drive and we would rather wait a week to get in if he is in LA and get to the bottom of the problem. Dr Hickman's phone number 316-733-2020
horsesssofcourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:02 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsesssofcourse View Post
We sure appreciate Dr. Hickman from Wichita KS (on 29th street -- easy for us to hop off turnpike at Andover exit).
He's one of the best and most knowledgeable vets I've ever been around. Have learned so much from him as he is generous to share his knowledge (i.e. client education) which ultimately helps the horse.
We bring our dental's to him --- he addresses each tooth in the mouth and then works the mouth as a whole. Knows chriopractics so can fix the TMJ problems. We take our lameness cases to him. Sometimes its just an easy chriopractic adjustment (really osteopathic adjustment --he uses a different technique that works and lasts). He is trained in accupuncture if that route is needed. Has the technology like shock wave, computerized radiography, etc etc if needed for diagnositics. Sure is worth the drive and we would rather wait a week to get in if he is in LA and get to the bottom of the problem. Dr Hickman's phone number 316-733-2020
Totally agree - Dr. Hickman really helped Casper this past March - Casper was out in sooo many places due to a trailering accident last year - Dr. Hickman spent over an hour with adjusting him - and the difference was immediate and remarkable and it stayed! As soon as I can afford more treatments for him Casper is going back for more!
Lambee is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition