Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2011, 07:36 PM  
Halter broke

watery, runny eyes...any remedy?

My two and a half year old paso has very runny eyes. I keep a fly mask on her at all times, because she is prone to summer sores. I think one of the reasons she gets sores on her face is that her eyes drip and run all the time, so that skin gets soft, then she rubs, then flies get on the wound...then I have a very hard time getting rid of the sores! Sooo...I keep the fly mask on all the time (which I have to admit, I hate, I like seeing her pretty face when I look out the window!) and if the skin seems like it is getting kind of thin or staying moist, I spray it with a spritz of silver spray ( aka "alushield"...love that stuff) but I don't know if that is the right thing to be doing.

Just didn't know if there is something that helps watery eyes, whether it be a home remedy, a medicine, a supplement...I would love to hear some thoughts on the matter. Thanks!
iron_grey_mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:33 PM  
Bombproof Member

FOr starters, I wouldn't be spraying ALuShield anywhere near your horses eyes Look at the warning label and I would bet there is a warning about getting it in/near/around the eyes.

If her eyes are watering that bad to cause sores you need a vet out. Esp if she has drainage while under a fly mask - there might be an issue - are you sure the fly mask isn't rubbing her eyes (too small).

I like to use Saline eye wash. I keep it in the fridge in the my barn and while grooming I just make it part of my routine to flush out their eyes.

I would look into maybe something from your vet for the sores - Something SAFE to be putting around your horses eyes in case any get in. Most def would not be using Alushield

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:33 PM  
Yearling Member

I had the same problem with my horse and had the same sadness about hiding her pretty face behind a screen. For whatever reason, this summer her eyes are not runny. I don't know if has to do with all the wet weather which has kept the dust down, or something she has outgrown. The vet thought it was allergies.
Hate the fly mask but she got so she would come right up for it because it gave her relief from the flies. I guess my advice is keeping your horse comfortable is important and maybe this is temporary.
green.willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:47 PM  
Halter broke

barnbum- Ok, but the vet is the one that gave me the alushield (well, sold it to me, nothing is for free from a vet, lol) and when she had the sores I would put the summer sore cream on (a cream the vet mixed up, a larvacide, fly repellent, antibiotic and anti itch cream all in one, so that is what I got from the vet) and then I had to put alushield on top of it. These were her instructions. The sores were not right next to her eye, they were lower...like where the water pools. The sores took several months to heal and I sprayed alushield on it at least once a day for months and never had an issue. I am not worried about getting it in her eye.

She does not have the sores NOW (well, actually she has the remnants, it is barely there but if I leave her fly mask off and she rubs it, she reopens it)...that is what I am saying...I don't want her to get them again so I am doing preventative. Maybe they won't even happen...but I still don't like seeing the line of water that runs down her face. Looks like a tear drop that comes from each eye and just runs down. They do not CAUSE the sores, but her rubbing does.

I purposely got a full face flymask that goes down to her nose so the band does not rub, so that is not the issue.

I do have saline eye wash and tried it but boy did she hate that. She stands perfectly still for the alushield...almost like she *likes* it...but boy she hated the eye wash. Just seemed like I was adding MORE liquid to the problem....more liquid to run down her face.

green willow...ha, yes, she just stands there...almost pushes her face INTO the mask. It is so sweet. She is so good for some stuff...and so awful for others! She is still young, but really a sweet girl. Yes, I hope we both only have this issue temporarily (this is the first time I have had her in the summer, got her in December) so we shall see. And you are so right, their comfort is what it is all about!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:57 PM  
Halter broke

barnbum-this is what it says on the can. So, while of course it is not *ideal* to get in their eyes, I don't think it is as serious as you might think.

Directions for Use:
Shake well before use. Clean the area to be
sprayed. Apply AluShield to cover the area to
be protected with a thin layer of powder.

Precaution:
Avoid spraying in animalís eyes.

Caution:
Contents under pressure. Do not use in the
presence of an open flame or spark. This
product stains. Avoid contact with hands and
clothes.

Warning:
External use only. Keep out of the reach
of children.

anyway, like I said, the spot where the water pools is a little lower on her face. Although the way she stands for the spray, I would feel perfectly comfortable spraying this near her eyes.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:57 AM  
Yearling Member

Try soaking a black tea bag and putting it on her eyes. Hold it on her eyes and slightly squeeze so liquid will go in her eyes and clean them out. If this doesnt work Id get vet out again. We had a mare with a lot of eye issues, runny eyes, gooey eyes, and tea bags did wonders. Did one a day in both eyes for about a week, and everything was gone.
Dreaming Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:38 AM  
Bombproof Member

If you want to spray something that has the warning label it does around your horses eyes, that your decision. I dont always agree with my vet There are too many other products out there safer to be put on/around the eyes. You asked for advice and I gave my 2 cents

Im sure she doesn't like the saline wash b/c you are messing with her eyes that are draining and probly sore. The allu shield isn't near her eyes and just covering sores, so I would thik she should be ok. If her eyes are draining that much to where you cant just flush them out and cause sores, then somethings wrong

Tea bags ..... thats interesting Wonder whats behind that.

Last edited by BarnBum : 07-16-2011 at 05:41 AM.
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:29 AM  
Halter broke

Thank you Dreaming Luke, I will try that...my mini also has watery eyes, but keeping the fly mask on him seems to make it go away. I will try it on him, too. His eyes actually get a little puffy and irritated looking, whereas the mare just has a few dribbles of liquid that come out. The tea bags might help him more than her! Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:07 AM  
Weanling Member

This happened to my gelding one summer. I used a product called
Calm Eyes (I think?)...made by the company that sells Calm Coat.
Worked well.

When his face was dry, I used a thin schmear of Desitin to
allow the water to run off.
2manyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:14 AM  
Weanling Member

Has your filly always had runny eyes?
One thing to check for is entropion, a condition where the eyelids are turned in more than normal and cause the eyelashes to rub the eyeball which in turn irritates it and causes excessive tearing.
horsehair101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:50 PM  
Halter broke

toomanyfurbabies-I will google that...thank you! The desitin is a good idea, too. I was just out there with her and took off her fly mask for a few minutes, and a few trickles of water immediately came out of her left eye.

horsehair-I have only had her since Dec...and it seems like the heat has really exacerbated the problem. I will look into the entropian...I will say...her left eye, which seems to water the most...I can see the pink in the inside corner. Not horrible...if her eye wasn't watering I might not really notice it...but I can definitely see the pink in her eye on the left more than the right.

I may text a pic to the vet, see what she says. Just wanted to come here first and hear different points of view and opinions. Keep them coming. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:04 PM  
Halter broke

This was an interesting thread I found while googling. Unfortunately, there are almost TOO MANY tips and suggestions! LOL. Although calm eyes was mentioned again (toomanyfurbabies, your suggestion) so I will try that.
http://www.flahorse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14140

Then, also while googling, I found out about equine uveitis and now I am freaked out!

The vet has been out several times in the past 6 months, never mentioned any issue, but this is the most watery I have seen it. I will try a few things and if they don't work, I will be calling the vet out!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:11 PM  
Coming two

It sounds like a possible blocked tear duct. (nasolacrimal duct)
Maybe allergies?

Either way you may need the vet out.

Good luck.
horsecrazygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:42 PM  
Halter broke

thank you! Today they looked pretty good! I haven't even tried anything yet. Might have been some particles or debris in her eye that has been flushed out. Will check tomorrow and decide what to do next.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:20 AM  
Weanling Member

Kensington makes a fly mask that doesnt rub the eyes called Bug Eye.
rivherrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:44 AM  
Yearling Member

Yes blocked tear ducts could be it. Vet will insert a tube up the nose and clean it out. Easy procedure that might be good to try.
Dreaming Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:22 AM  
Halter broke

thanks again everyone. I will look into that fly mask, riverat.

Dreaming Luke-her eyes are still pretty good today, too, so I am hoping it was just a weird few days, but I am glad to be armed with some options for the future. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:13 AM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_grey_mare View Post
thanks again everyone. I will look into that fly mask, riverat.

Dreaming Luke-her eyes are still pretty good today, too, so I am hoping it was just a weird few days, but I am glad to be armed with some options for the future. Thanks!

Tried this fly mask and did not like it, when they rub their face the bubble over the eye mashes in and stays that way. I use (prednisolon acet op 1%) for runny red eyes . clears them right up.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition