Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011, 05:22 PM  
Bombproof Member

Cranberry juice?

Can somone please enlighten me on why someone would feed a horse cranberry juice? I assume it's on top of feed, but what's the benefit to the horse???
Old 04-25-2011, 05:55 PM  
Yearling Member

Cranberry juice is recommended for bladder and urinary tract issues in people, I would guess (though I don't know) that it may benefit a horse in the same way. Buuuuuut, that's just my guess
Amykatrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:10 PM  
Weanling Member

Cranberries

I just did the Google and I found in Home remedies that they sat it is good for worming (I suppose they mean deworming cause who would would want to give worms to horses) a horse??
Old 04-25-2011, 06:17 PM  
Yearling Member

My friend uses it on her horse he gets bladder trouble from time to time.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:01 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
Any actual efficacy studies, far as de worming? Fecal egg counts?
Call me old fashioned, but If a horse has a urinary tract infection, I would be using the appropriate antibiotic
Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilie View Post
Any actual efficacy studies, far as de worming? Fecal egg counts?
Call me old fashioned, but If a horse has a urinary tract infection, I would be using the appropriate antibiotic
As good as antibiotics are in general, I find they are HIGHLY overused. There are so many non antibiotoc solutions to simple or early stage issues that are more effective than drugs, personally on myself and my animals I will opt for those before a round of antibiotics. Don't get me wrong, I do believe there is a time and a place for antibiotics and if a serious problem presents itself in a hurry I have no issues following a doctor or vets order. However, as far as general health maintinence or problems that have a proven/drug free solution I'd try the alternative route first. I know alot of people that follow the same train of thought as myself, and I know even more that don't . To each their own.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:16 PM  
Kid Safe

By the way, cranberry juice might be good for preserving urinary tract health, but once you have the infection, and the tract is irritated, the last thing you want to drink is cranberry juice - or any kind of fruit juice, for that matter.

Trust me - I know.

As for what it might do for a horse, I have no idea...
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:13 AM  
Weanling Member

Had my first (and hopefully only) UTI two years ago, started on a Friday so no chance to see a doc, didn't want to bother with a trip to emerg so I went to the freezer.
Took out the bag of frozen cranberries, threw them in the blender and covered them with water. Hit 'puree' and forced myself to drink all eight cups of 'sludge' that evening. May sound drastic but everything was great the next morning...no more pain.
It's a proven solution for humans, can't see why it would hurt a horse (or any other animal), may be tricky getting them to eat it but worth a try.
horsehair101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:18 AM  
Coming two

And just how many gallons of cranberry juice would you give to a horse? If I gave that much sugar I'd have a founder in no time. If there is a valid reason to change the ph of the urine to prevent infections in humans, then cranberry juice can be helpful. People with chronic UTIs of a specific nature sometimes find it helpful. But if a horse is having repeated UTIs, something is very wrong and he is going to need a lot more than gallons of cranberry juice.

Yes, antibiotics have been over used a lot. And people don't complete the prescribed courses of treatment, either. That is why we now have super bugs. But treating a urinary tract infection IS an appropriate use of the correct antibiotic (which is determined most reliably by culture and sensitivity testing.) A kidney infection will take much higher doses of stronger medications to resolve and is nothing to mess with - unless you favor dialysis.

Sweet Dixie, always a part of my heart
DixieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:09 AM  
Newborn Member

The thing is that people dont take into account, is that horses have differant digestive systems to human, as well as differant dietary needs.

so something that might be good for humans isnt always the same for horses....

Lots of homeopathic worming recipies, work because they are mildly toxic, mean its enuf to kill woms bt not the horse...im always a bit suspect of people who use magical potions without knowing what they actaully do...

to be honest though if cranberry juice does work in the horse for UTI cant see that it would do any harm...
wild horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:32 AM  
Coming two

From the Mayo Clinic"

"There is some human evidence supporting the use of cranberry juice and cranberry supplements to *prevent* urinary tract infection (UTI), although most available studies are of poor quality. There are no clear dosing guidelines, but given the safety of cranberry, it may be reasonable to recommend the use of moderate amounts of cranberry juice cocktail to *prevent* UTI in non-chronically ill individuals.

Cranberry has not been shown effective as a *treatment* for documented UTI. Although cranberry may be used as an adjunct therapy in some cases, given the proven efficacy of antibiotics, cranberry should not be considered a first line *treatment*."

Old 04-26-2011, 08:30 AM  
Bombproof Member

My vet isn't in a hurry to administer drugs when he feels the horse will recover with a little time. A lot of the treatments prescribed are to help the owner feel they are doing something when in reality nature will look after it. If my vet honestly believed cranberry would help bladder problems then that's what he would recommend.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:59 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieMom View Post
Cranberry has not been shown effective as a *treatment* for documented UTI. Although cranberry may be used as an adjunct therapy in some cases, given the proven efficacy of antibiotics, cranberry should not be considered a first line *treatment*."
Animals are typically easier to treat with lower doses of 'natural' type things across the board because they have not been filled up with chemicals and drugs for years on end in everyday foods and medications. That's how usually it's not a matter of keeping the weight ratio of what a human would take compared to a horse. However, it is important to ALWAYS check to make sure there are no reactions associated with any medication or natural remedy before giving it to any animal. Just because people can have chocolate, onions, and grapes doesn't mean that dogs can Horses have a different system as well. The nice thing about *most* natural things is that the worst thing it can do is nothing. That's why some people opt to try that in a NON emergency situation or try it as a maintenence or general health benefit and see if there are improvements.

I think it's important to remember that the original post simply stated that someone was putting cranberries on a horses feed. It did not say that someone was TREATING a horse with a UTI with cranberries. It could be possible that they are just using some cranberries as a potential preventative measure for a horse that is maybe prone to bladder issues, or for something completely different (I haven't researched horses and cranberries so there may be other benefits.)

Heck, it could be that the horse just LOVES the taste of the berries and it's a little treat on its oats every evening
Old 04-26-2011, 04:18 PM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsehair101 View Post
Had my first (and hopefully only) UTI two years ago, started on a Friday so no chance to see a doc, didn't want to bother with a trip to emerg so I went to the freezer.
Took out the bag of frozen cranberries, threw them in the blender and covered them with water. Hit 'puree' and forced myself to drink all eight cups of 'sludge' that evening. May sound drastic but everything was great the next morning...no more pain.
It's a proven solution for humans, can't see why it would hurt a horse (or any other animal), may be tricky getting them to eat it but worth a try.
I was actually responding to this post - "It's a proven solution." Actually it has been quite DISproven as a treatment. The above scenario was not a documented UTI with a culture to prove it. I am all for natural whenever possible, but I have seen some pretty ugly stuff when people do not use the appropriate treatment for medical problems. I'll never forget a woman who came to the Urgent Care where I was working with a full blown kidney infection. She ended up being hospitalized and could have lost her kidney function. Why? Because she was home treating her UTI with cranberry juice instead of the appropriate antibiotics.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition