Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 PM  
Yearling Member

UPDATEDnewly gelded sheath swelling-help PICS INCLUDED

just got my long yearling gelded on wednesday. vet told me to excercise him and cold hose him daily. also to give him banamine or bute for pain to keep him moving. have do some hosing but not exactly 'cold' because outside temps have been lower than what has come out of the hose. so i have been really hesitant about running water on him because he is kept outdoors. he hasn't had much discharge and hasn't been acting uncomfortable but he seems to have quite a bit of sheath swelling (it has been getting worse daily). i have been lunging him at a trot for 15 minutes twice a day. but today it appears he has some chaffing? between his hind legs due to swelling and discharge. i hosed it well and wiped him down very well (gently). but today he didn't seem to want to lunge hardley at all. the past several days i have had almost no problem getting him to move it. the swelling is more intense in his sheath area. i'm unsure what to do. i am DEFINETLY calling the vet int he a.m to inquire but i've never gone thru 'gelding' before so i am unsure what to expect. his 'bag' area seems to look clean and healing well, i am just concerned about the swelling. i just went out again tonight and lunged him a little more. he was definetly more willing than earlier today but i did give him another dose of banamine to help make him comfortable earlier this eve. help please all advise welcomed.

Last edited by secondhandranch : 01-20-2011 at 09:46 PM.
secondhandranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 PM  
Yearling Member

I just had mine down and there was swelling that took several days to go down. He was a sad and not very energetic boy for a few days. I did not hose, nor did the vet prescribe bute. He had daily turn out and was able to move around in his walk in and out stall with a clean sand paddock, but I think that is all they need, I wouldnt be lungeing. I know how I felt having surgery and they wanted me to move, so I did slowly and regularly.

Is he eating and drinking....what is his temperature....I dont know about buting him, as it will mask the pain and you cant tell how he is really feeling...my thoughts only though.
Dreaming Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:13 AM  
Yearling Member

the vet TOLD me to give him the meds so he would want to move about and the TOLD me to do 20 mins of trotting several times a day. i followed dr's orders but am still worried.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:39 AM  
Halter broke

My older gelding had a very swollen sheath earlier this year. Not from gelding. Sorry I can't help with that however, when I took him to the vet he said that he sees alot of geldings with swollen sheaths when the temperature is warm and damp in the day and very cold at night. He claims that "ice crystals will form in there and and cause irritation". He put him on antibiotics and predisone. I am positive that it was the ant-inflammatory that did the trick. Ask your vet about starting an anti-inflammatory med. Hope he is better soon.
vicky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:25 AM  
Halter broke

i would keep with what your vet said but be sure there is no kind of infection of any sort. i would keep him on the meds. i would keep trotting him like the vet suggested but i wouldn't push him if he is unwilling due to pain that time. i would judge the trotting time by your horses reaction and not a timer
CaptainsBaby92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:25 AM  
Coming two

If the area looks clean, dry , no red streaks and he has no temperature I wouldn't worry. He needs to move around on his own or make him workout.

That's what reduces the swelling. When a human has surgery the first thing the doctors want is the patient up and moving; same with a horse.

Some have more swellling and pain than others. I've had some that jumped right up and never realized what happened and some that were really swollen and painful and didn't want to move.

In your climate a cold hose should not be a problem. Work him a little afterwards to build up his body heat.

Sounds like you have a good vet who is concerned about swelling and pain.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 AM  
Newborn Member

Send a message via AIM to AsphaltCowgirl
I'd be inclined to put him on antibiotics. All of my horses I geld get tetracycline and bute IV for 5 days for preventative measures. PenG IM will also work. For a 1000lb horse about 25ml tetra and 10ml (2g) bute IV. That may be something the vet would have to give for you. The PenG would be IM about 30ml for 1000lb horse. Or you could do some oral meds SMZ's (bactrum), it would be about 10 tabs twice daily for 1000lb horse. Anyways, I've rambled, but maybe your vet could suggest what would work best for you and your horse.
AsphaltCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:58 PM  
Yearling Member

spoke w/ vet 3 times today. she told me it sounds like his bag had closed up and he retaining fluid. so she directed me on how to open them up. it was a terrible ordeal, i don't know if i did it right or not cuz i got some goo and blood but not a big gush or reduction in swelling tonight. i hosed him real well and gave him his meds. i didn't work him this eve due to having sedated him. we will see what the morning brings and whether i need the vet to come out to see him tomorrow. his temp was @101 before we started trying to clean him out, but wasn't sure if the xylazine had raised it a notch. this is my first getting one gelded experience and i swear i will not do this again.

he IS eating and drinking normally. i have seen him poop and pee.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 PM  
Halter broke

When I worked as a standardbred groom I dealt with many colts getting gelded. we cold hosed them everyday, and put on latex gloves and opened up the incision everyday to allow the water to get in and clean it. I dont know if you said whether or not the wound was left open or stitched but we always left them open so that they could drain, and when the swelling got bad we made sure they got opened up at least once sometimes 2-3 times daily. You can actually see fluid draining when it's opened. If your horse is open, I would recommend getting your fingers up there with a hose, you might need a twitch depending on how sensitive your horse is. As long as your not squeamish, it's pretty easy, but you might want your vet to show you how the first time.
Hope this helps.
megkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:23 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandranch View Post
the vet TOLD me to give him the meds so he would want to move about and the TOLD me to do 20 mins of trotting several times a day. i followed dr's orders but am still worried.

Last edited by Dreaming Luke : 01-18-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Dreaming Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:01 AM  
Yearling Member

megkn- i reached up in there alright, that is what i had to have to sedation for.......and i had to hobble him to keep him from knockin the bejezus out of me. my poor boy is so not happy. i'm still very worried. like i said if there isn't ANY positive change i will be calling vet out.
PIC 1 IS FROM SATURDAY (3 DAYS AFTER)
PIC 2 IS FROM TODAY (6 DAYS AFTER)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TANK2.jpg (15.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg TANK.jpg (20.9 KB, 71 views)
Old 01-19-2011, 12:20 AM  
Seasoned

Trust your gut instinct on it.
When I've had mine gelded, our vet didn't advise anything for pain and to turn them out in a 'clean' grassy field so they could move on their own. She said if they didn't move on their own, to get him walking.

That said, one of mine I had gelded, was horribly swollen, more so then I'd seen before. At first he moved on his own, within a few days he didn't want to move.
I walked him and so he listened but something seemed wrong. I called vet and she said give it a couple more days, hose it off and make sure it's draining.
A couple more days passed, horse went off his grain and hay. He started to have an odd smell. I took him to the vet asap.
Found out, he is a fast healer and it was healing faster then it should so was not draining as much as it needed and an infection had started. I left him at the vet for a week so she could drain it each day, give him antibiotics and keep an eye on him.
He turned out fine in the end. Of several horses I've had gelded, his was the only one I'd had a problem with.
Watch your horse to see if he goes off his feed or smells odd, if so be sure to get him to a vet right away.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:55 AM  
Bombproof Member

Movement, movement !! Not sure about the banamine but I would definatly consider anti-inflammatories . I also fed granular anitibiotics in my horses feed that my vet gave me when I had my mini gelded. Take his temp cpl times a day.

Last edited by BarnBum : 01-19-2011 at 08:30 AM.
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 AM  
Long Yearling

Yikes that does not look good. I think if the swelling has not gone down by today I'd be making that vet come back out.
cindyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:03 PM  
Yearling Member

vet is coming out today will let everyone know results tonight. he is still acting normal. thanks to all advisors!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:30 PM  
Yearling Member

vet said he's fine. going ahead and running a course of anti's just in case but he looks good. said reason for the swelling is because he was "small" in that area so it was more tramatic to the tissue than if he had been bigger. swelling should go down in next 5 day and to keep trying to get him moving more and keep on w/ bute.

Last edited by secondhandranch : 01-20-2011 at 09:47 PM.
secondhandranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 PM  
Yearling Member

Now Tank is back to his ornery self, not happy about the water hose around 'there' and he is lunging and troting great again.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:14 PM  
Kid Safe

That's great news! Now maybe you can actually get a good night's sleep.

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition