Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 07:52 AM  
Long Yearling

peas? Can horses eat them and benefit?

Because I gets bitter cold out here, and I have a mare that went into winter too thin, I'm working very hard to get/keep weight on her. She's a fussy eater and has some allergies as well. Had her teeth floated last fall, that helped quite a bit, but she's still thinner than I like to see my horses in a ND winter. I make her a warm mash of soaked beet shred, cracked corn, a little salt and corn oil. She eats it better when I throw in some rolled oats and sweet feed, She really liked it when I added a cup of "pea soup"

I have heard that some cattle farmers are feeding peas to their stock. It supposedly puts a nice finish and etc. Someone recently gave me 75 lbs of table quality green split peas. Now I love split pea soup, but my primary reason for accepting this was the potential value for a nutrition source for my critters. (The parrots love it half cooked, the dogs like it with their kibble, and found that the horses woofed it up when I stirred a bit into their evening warm mash. I wonder if anyone knows if there are contraindications to feeding mash with peas to horses?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 PM  
Kid Safe

peas are a legume, after all, in the same family as alfalfa. It makes sense

Peas: contain an average of 23% crude protein and a digestible energy content similar to barley. Low in fat (1%) and contain 6% crude fibre. Palatable when soaked or crushed.

peas are useful additions to a mix but may be ‘sorted’ out by picky eaters. Be careful with the types of peas used as some are toxic to horses

Peas are not commonly used in horse feed in North America, but they are used extensively in Europe. Peas are an excellent protein source, have two to three times more protein than other cereals with a considerably higher Lysine content (an essential amino acid). Peas have a biological value equivalent to soy protein, and are a very useful source of protein.
gingerfleguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:50 PM  
Long Yearling

Wow!

thanks Ginger!

To date I've been throwing a pound of peas and some water into the crockpot for a few hours. the birds get theirs fished out halfway... but it's pretty much mush when i stir it into the horses mash.... I found out tonite that my little dogs also relish the 'PEA SOUP as a treat! Of course I think all my dogs are half nuts... any time they can steal food from the horses, they will.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:11 PM  
Bombproof Member

You didn't mention how much beet shred she is getting. I'm a fan of senior's because of the beet pulp, probiotics and extra oils in it. It can be fed at a rate of no more than 5 lbs per feeding. You may find your horse does better if you can spread her feed out. I've spread pellets in clean snow and the horses love it. Instead of them bolting down mouthfuls which speeds thro the gut, they get to nibble it. Plus it gets rid of some snow of which we have plenty.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition