Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2011, 09:01 PM  
Halter broke

ear fungus/scratches

I just got a new thoroughbred. He has white fungus in his ears, more so in one than the other. He's very good about me being around so I'd rather not ruin that by spraying something painful in his ears. What sort of ointment will get rid of these?
He also has a few scratches or a little bit of mud fever on his hind legs. Will this go away on its own or should I treat it too?
CaptainsBaby92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:39 PM  
Halter broke

For the ear fungus I have always used Gensin Violet (sp?) Get it at the feed store or the local drug store. Its what they give to human babies when they get thrush in their mouths and does not sting. But is a very effective anti-fungal. Apply with a Q-tip liberally (till very purple) and should go away in about 7-10 days.

For the scratches..again, another human baby trick, Zinc Oxide diaper ointment. Slather it on once a day, and should see improvement rather quickly.
P3 Paddocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:40 PM  
Halter broke

AAAHHH-HA! Fog from brain-fart cleared........Gentian Violet!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:54 AM  
Halter broke

It's called Aural Plaque. It is a virus and there is no cure. It is spread to the ears by flies. Harmless but not cure

Last edited by Hank : 01-07-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:55 AM  
Halter broke

I've seen horses that had the bumps in their ears and they went away. I just want them to go away appearance. They don't hurt him so I don't care if it's truly "cured"
Thanks for the tips. I have some desitin and will start that right away. I'll look for the violet stuff the next time i'm at a store =]
CaptainsBaby92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:18 PM  
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainsBaby92 View Post
I've seen horses that had the bumps in their ears and they went away. I just want them to go away appearance. They don't hurt him so I don't care if it's truly "cured"
Thanks for the tips. I have some desitin and will start that right away. I'll look for the violet stuff the next time i'm at a store =]
That is just it they will not go away
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:37 PM  
Pasture Pet

I too have never heard of a cure for Aural plaques, but have been told that irritating them can cause them to spread/grow. I have a gelding who has one so big it almost sticks out his ear...vet says if it gets bigger she will remove it for me, but that I should expect it to just come back.

Scratches I would definately treat. I have an ointment mixture I buy from my vet, but I think its main ingredient is ichthamol (sp?)...the stinking dark brown stuff. I would also do your best to keep that area dry and clean as much as possible, and clean the scabs away if you can.

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:05 PM  
Halter broke

Is it the fungus? Or is it the virus? Would def have that checked out. But, like I said, any time I have had a horse with a fungal infection in/on his ears, I have treated it with the GV. Perhaps I have not run up against this virus? (me thinks me glad!)
Old 01-08-2011, 03:06 AM  
Started

Don't know what causes them, but those plaques can be a PITA. I had an older horse who was terribly earshy, and he had some plaques as deep as 1 cm or so. If any bits broke off and into his ear, he'd shake his head like MAD. I finally had the vet tranq him once and he scrubbed them off with Betadine scrub. I kept treating him (as well as I could) with wiping cotton with Betadine solution, which must have made him itchy. One day, he started rubbing his ear against the cotton and actually WANTED me to clean the whole ear out!!! It was a breakthrough, after that he let me handle his ears, and I would just periodically put any sort of wound ointment like Bag Balm on it to soften up any buildup and remove it. I had one vet say it would just go away over time, yeah right. He was 17 when I got him, and as far as I know he still had them when he died around age 30.
sfl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM  
Long Yearling

Pic of Aural Plaques

"type of skin lesion that some horses develop on the inside surface of their ears. These plaques are usually depigmented, meaning the skin cells of which they are made do not have the same pigment in them as the cells of the surrounding skin, making the lesions appear pale grey or off-white"

Here is some interesting research i found online:

"they’re not itchy, sensitive or painful. They can occur in any horse, no matter the age, breed or sex."

"The exact cause of aural plaques is still not clear, but using extremely high-powered electron microsocpy, researchers have been able to demonstrate that in some cases there is a papillomavirus infecting the cells within these plaques. No one has yet been able to isolate the virus to determine what type of papillomavirus it might be. Aural plaques are not known to be transmissible from horse to horse, but since there may be a virus involved, it's prudent to consider the possibility that virus transmission may play a role in their development (although there are likely many other factors involved as well). Unlike regular papillomas (i.e. warts, caused by equine papillomaviurs), aural plaques do not disappear on their own. It the past, the only way to remove the plaques was to actually cut them away surgically. In more recent years, successful treatment has been reported using an immune-response modifier cream such as Imiguimod, which is used in people to treat several different skin conditions, including genital warts."

Last edited by LittleJewel : 01-11-2011 at 10:47 AM.
LittleJewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 PM  
Weanling Member

My horse has those in his ears and also has 2 large sarcoids, one on his cheek and chest. I figured they were simular.
rivherrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:27 PM  
Halter broke

scratches

My favorite scratches recipe:

1 jar Furazone

Equal Amount of Desitin (or Zinc Oxide, I buy at the dollar store)

3cc Dex

10cc Penicillin (or I use Tomorrow Dry Cow)

A drip of DMSO

Mix in one big container. I stir it up with a paddle....it will look like lemon pudding!!!

Clean infected area with Betadine - rinse and pat dry then let dry further in the air..don't let it get muddy or dirty..just let area air dry the rest of the way..then apply the above with gloves. I do it once daily for a couple of days..it works quick!
polopony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:29 PM  
Newborn Member

I love nolvasan for scratches helps after first application. Kinda pricey but you don't need much.

As the ear thing I've had lots of horses with a couple didn't seem to bother them. I did have one horse that ears were completely covered with them. Tried lots of things to make them better, nothing worked. He was so bad about putting a bridle on. It was terrible.
Granita is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition