Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2010, 11:13 AM  
Halter broke

Protien Bumps

My 2 yr old mare is in a pasture with 2 other colts. They are on a low alphalfa hay and their feed is low protien as well as they are no longer on the Power 2000.

In the couple of weeks she has gotten protien bumps all over her back end and at the base of her neck. I know that they aren't harmful and more than anythingjust annoying for a horse, but this week she is goingo n a higher alphalfa feed as the other colts need it and she needs to be in this pen with them for the other feed she is getting (beet pulp and mineral)

I am just wondering if anyone knows what exactly this would be coming from? There is no grass right now as its covered in snow so she sn't getting it from grass either. Would it be an allergy of some kind maybe?

Also she is 15.2 hh and growing quite fast...in 2 months her mane and tale have grown a few inches, she has filled out immensely (my feet in October hung below her belly and now they are level with her belly. She has grown in height as well) I thought it may be related to her growing so quickly, but really not sure.

Last edited by kstinson : 12-13-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: additional information
kstinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:12 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I've never heard of protein bumps? can someone explain??
Old 12-13-2010, 02:04 PM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to PeggySue
are they actually from the protein or are they hives from something else?? What makes you think they are from the protein?
Old 12-13-2010, 02:41 PM  
Halter broke

well that is the ting, I am not sure, but as it is winter here there are no bugs for it to be bug bites, there is no grass for it to be from that and the only thing they eat is the hay, their beetpulp and mineral which has no protien in it.

I thought it might be an allergy, but i am not sure what it could be to because her diet hasnt changed in the last month she was on the same hay and the same feed since I bought her and now they randomly showed up.

I had wondered what else it could be, my mother-in-law owns the barn and has said it isnt anything to worry about, just to put MTG on it and they should go away, but I am still curious as to what they are from bc there is quite a lot of them.

She isnt rubbing on the fences or anything to itch them, and she is still so young that I dont work her hard enough for it to be from untacking her too fast so I am at a bit of a loss. They don't seem to bother he thoughr.

she is starting on a new hay as of yesterday, so I will keep an eye and see if it was an allergy rather than protien bc this hay has a lot more alphalfa in it so if they go away then it can't be protein.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:18 PM  
Yearling Member

Googled it. Protein bumps seems to be another name for hives.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=615

Good article, good website. it says that beet pulp can cause protein bumps or hives in some horses. Maybe Sable should be taken off beet pulp for a while and see if they go away.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:44 PM  
Halter broke

Thanks,

Im going to move her in with the other show horses, then i'll give her mineral after I ride her bc she still needs that, but we'll try this out because she is physically more mature than the other colts right now and if beet pulp is the cause we will find that out pretty quickly...she'll be sad to leave her bestie Bloom aww
Old 12-13-2010, 03:53 PM  
Long Yearling

it could be something in the hay or a tree or anything... my allergies are crazy right now
Old 12-13-2010, 03:57 PM  
Halter broke

New question, as I am giong to try taking her off Beet Pulp to see if ti helps, she does need her mineral though, is there anything else to mix that with that covers the tate of the mineral so she still eats it?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:43 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
Well, if protein bumps are a slang term for hives, then there must be something your horse is allergic to
It has nothing to do with protein level per say. Probably got the term, because a foreign protein (antigen) is what causes a horse sensitive to that particular protein to react, producing hives
Is the hay from anew source? Any chance the beet pulp was contaminated with something?
What about bedding? Anything she could be reacting to?
Old 12-13-2010, 05:05 PM  
Yearling Member

these horses are in pasture so they don't really have bedding. Bloom will surely miss her bestie as well.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:09 PM  
Halter broke

Well nothing has changed since i brought her in; no new hay, no new feed... everything has been the same, and she just developed them started about 2 weeks ago.
What I am doing is moving her into another pen with the older horses to take her off the minerals and beet pulp for a week or 2, see if that changes anything. She shaes a pasture with 2 other colts (one a yearling and the other the same age as her) on the same feed with her haven't reacted so it isnt contaminated. It may be a sensitivity to something, but she has been the same stuff for the last 3 months and only now is showing a reaction if that is the case.

If they go away we will know it is the feed ...if it doesnt go away it is obviously something else. As far as bedding goes, she is blanketed and in an outdoor pasture...so unless she is reacting to the blanket (which would seem like a long shot) it's just going to be trial and error i guess...

Leastwise they dont seem to be bothering her at this point, so I'll just do what I can to find the solution.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:04 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Seals the Deal View Post
Googled it. Protein bumps seems to be another name for hives.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=615

Good article, good website. it says that beet pulp can cause protein bumps or hives in some horses. Maybe Sable should be taken off beet pulp for a while and see if they go away.
thanks for the great info!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:42 PM  
Halter broke

If the blanket was washed recently and not rinsed out well enough she could be reacting to the soap and/or fabric softener residue.
vicky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:46 PM  
Greenbroke Member

What kind of mineral do you have her on?

Brazil's National Horse is now in Canada! http://sunsetmarchadors.blogspot.com/
dandeeqh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:52 PM  
Bombproof Member

Ahhh!
I was just going to ask whether she was blanketed, esp in view to where the bumps are-mainly chest and back, from what I read.
I would also wonder if the blanket is the cause. Try washing it again, and rinse lots. Hang inside out in the sun to dry
Old 12-13-2010, 07:16 PM  
Long Yearling

isn't the Min A Vit a pellet?? if so mine eat thiers plain just fine ... if you want to give her something more you can get her some hay pellets or rice bran
Old 12-13-2010, 07:25 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstinson View Post
Well nothing has changed since i brought her in; no new hay, no new feed... everything has been the same, and she just developed them started about 2 weeks ago.
What I am doing is moving her into another pen with the older horses to take her off the minerals and beet pulp for a week or 2, see if that changes anything. She shaes a pasture with 2 other colts (one a yearling and the other the same age as her) on the same feed with her haven't reacted so it isnt contaminated. It may be a sensitivity to something, but she has been the same stuff for the last 3 months and only now is showing a reaction if that is the case.

If they go away we will know it is the feed ...if it doesnt go away it is obviously something else. As far as bedding goes, she is blanketed and in an outdoor pasture...so unless she is reacting to the blanket (which would seem like a long shot) it's just going to be trial and error i guess...

Leastwise they dont seem to be bothering her at this point, so I'll just do what I can to find the solution.
This seems to be an allergy to something. Allergies will get worse over time, because as a body is exposed to it, the immune system will produce memory b cells, the longer it's exposed, the more memory cells are made, pretty soon you get a HUGE attack. That's why a kid with a peanut allergy could just itch the first time, but suffocate the next.

I would think the beet pulp, or she is getting too much of a mineral you are feeding her. She could be getting a lot of one of the minerals in the forage, and in the mineral mix it is just overloading her.

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:39 PM  
Halter broke

wow thanks for all the help! if taking her off of the mineral and the beet pulp doesn't get rid of the bumps, I will try having the blanket washed. It was brand new so there should be no residue affecting her, but you never know.

She has been moved over to the pen where she wont be getting beet pulp or mineral...i'll see how that goes over the next couple weeks.

Thanks again!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:09 PM  
Pasture Pet

Is she ever sweaty under her blanket, or blanketed when sweaty? If could be the start of a staph infection.

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:50 PM  
Bombproof Member

I would still suspect the blanket, as it sounds more like a contact allergy versus a systemic one. If it was something in the feed, I would think you would get other signs of an allergic reaction-such as breathing difficulty, liver reaction, etc, instead of a skin reaction that seems localized as to where the blanket makes the most contact
Is the blanket from anew source? A different material?
Also, Like Equine Alberta mentioned, a blanket can allow skin pathogens to flourish under the right conditions.
Do you always have this horse blanketed?
I would either change blankets or if she has enough hair-have her go without, as my first step in eliminating a cause, before changing feed.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition