Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2010, 03:25 PM  
Newborn Member

Beet Pulp Questions

I am feeding my horse 1 RED FOLGERS COFFEE Tub (Weighs about 4 LBS when expanded) full of beet pulp with 1/2 cup of rice bran oil and one mineral supplement. He always has a salt block and tons of water.

> TWICE PER DAY - Morning and Night

is that too much? How much beet pulp is the right amount?

Hes not gaining weight.

I have been feeding him this for two months. and it was a gradual feed. I did not feed him this all at once.

He has never had diarrhea, but now he has a little bit runny poop but its not consistent every day. little bits here and there.

any feedback is much appreciated. thank you.
shaneensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:43 PM  
Coming two

Beet pulp by itself will not put the weight on. Try mixing it with some soaked alfalfa cubes/pellets and some rice bran. Or mix it with a quality horse pellet.
missa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:56 PM  
Coming two

If beet pulp is the only thing you are feeding him, he's not going to gain much weight. Beet pulp is mainly a fiber supplement. Beet pulp does not have a whole lot of dietary value. I use it only to replace the forage fiber in my horses who do not get hay.
How old is the horse? What are his daily exercise amounts?
If this is an older horse and ability to eat hay is compromised try using a soaked hay pellet of some kind and senior feed along with the beet pulp and rice bran oil. The hay pellets and beet pulp will get him his fiber requirements and the senior feed and rice bran (oil or pellets/powder) will provide the fat and calories for weight gain. Remember to make any diet changes very slowly.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:08 PM  
Pasture Pet

So you are feeding rice bran and beet pulp. Is your measurement dry or soaked? What else is he eating (hay of what type & quantity and/or grass)? What type of rice bran? How old is your horse? What breed? What size?
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:35 PM  
Long Yearling

I would also be adding some Senior Feed to the mix. That is another thing you have to add gradually.

Is this an old horse you are trying to help keep weight on?

I will go through what you might check or things you can do. I blanket my old "kids" with a blanket that includes a neck cover. Medium weight. I would also have the vet check teeth which you probably have done. Have a fecal run just to check to see how your worming program is going.

If the horse is able to chew, I would give all the grass hay the horse will eat without wasting it.
Another thing you might have your vet check for is ulcers. Sometimes horses who are tough keepers actually have ulcers.

Good luck, it's tough to keep weight on some horses.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:51 PM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to PeggySue
approx 9 cups of beet pulp is 1lb so that is about what you are feeding if your coffee thing is FULL dry.

A horse can have up to about 5lbs of DRY weight beet pulp per day for added fiber and calories

what vitamin/mineral source are you using...

2 3/4 measuring cups of rice bran is about 1lb ...

I would increase the rice bran to approx 2lbs SLOWLY

make sure nutritio nneeds are being met

and offer free choice hay
Old 11-12-2010, 11:10 AM  
Yearling Member

Go back to square one - start feeding a good, balanced feed at the right amount. Then, if you're still needing it, add the beet pulp to the diet. If you have a good enough feed, you probably won't need all the additional stuff you're feeding, and you might actually save money!
JSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:35 AM  
Bombproof Member

For a horse 10 or over I'd prefer Senior's over beet pulp. Senior's contains beet pulp but also the other nutrients that are needed. I hope the horse has plenty of turnout time to exercise his muscles. I've heard that horses fed with a small mesh hay net gain weight because the horse has to nibble at it and it stays in the system longer, permitting better digestion than large mouthfuls.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:00 AM  
Weanling Member

I've always used beet pulp for seniors as extra fiber, or as a 'filler' for fat horses. I would feed Senior's also, I agree with Slim!
critterkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition