Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2010, 11:59 AM  
Long Yearling

Question Best Arthritis Supplement?

What does everybody use for minor arthritis? Just curious
Equestrian21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:16 PM  
Kid Safe

I love cosaquin ASU and adequan... couldn't live without either. And msm is a given!

Okay, you don't have to give all that. MSM is the best place to start. My horse has slight arthritis in his hocks, but I have never noticed any rear-end lameness (then again, I have always given him cosaquin or another joint supplement), I give the cosaquin and adequan to help with his navicular, and it seems to help.

The cosaquin ASU has done wonders compared to Aniflex (either complete or the other one), Recovery EQ Extra Strength, and Smartflex Repair (the highest concentration of the smartflex lines)

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:34 PM  
Yearling Member

You will see a huge improvement in his movement and gait, by feeding Animal Element. It has the highest dosages of HA (hyluaronic acid) and MSM, on the market currently. It also has many other wonderful additions that make it a great overall health supplement.

I love what this has done for my horses!

www.animalelement.com

Use this code for 10% off - AZIMMERMAN

Feel free to ask me any questions about it.
Amjzimm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:58 PM  
Weanling Member

I just starting giving a joint supplement to my too oldest horses and I used the Tractor Supply brand called Dumor Joint Supplement. That product had pretty good reviews and the price was good. My horses are not real arthritic so I'm not sure how good it would work for really bad horses but I it made my older gelding act like a yearling.
Paminky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:15 AM  
Long Yearling

Well my older (15) QH gelding has a little arthritis in his right knee... so I was just poking around for best products/price
Equestrian21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:51 AM  
Kid Safe

Joey gets a Legend shot- hyalauronic acid- and daily Pureform glucosamine/MSM/chondroitin supplements. The Pureform was the highest concentration I could find of all three.
However, I have no reason to believe he has arthritis. He was stiff when I got him but physical therapy has been a big part of his improvement. He's 19 years old so I might just be doing it as a preventative. That being said, my 30 plus year old gelding showed huge improvement with just the Pureform supplement.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:51 PM  
Started

I like Senior Flex by MedVet pharmaceuticals, it has high levels of several of the components thought to help with joint problems, and it's competitively priced. I personally like that it contains 5000 mg of yucca, I've had good results with 2 arthritic horses on supplements that were yucca alone. One of those horses (age 20) got markedly stiffer one time within a week after running out of the yucca supplement. Shortly after putting him back on it, the spring was back in his step.

I like using the resources (and ordering from) Smart Pak Equine. They have a page that compares levels of ingredients and prices of each type of supplement. Here's the link (I hope...):

http://www.smartpakequine.com/charts/JointCompare.html

Hope you find something to help your horse!
sfl89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:15 AM  
Yearling Member

We use Fluid Flex ($30 for a month supply). It's a liquid, which absorbs better in the horse's system and also is harder for a horse to eat around. Our stallion has minor arthritis that acts up in the winter. We put him on it in the cold weather, and there's a lot less crackling! In the summer months he doesn't need it
It also does not contain MSM. I've known horses to get goofy on MSM. But, it's just like humans - everyone reacts differently. If you're looking for something beginner-level, I'd try that.
JSlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition