Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2010, 11:17 AM  
Yearling Member

Arrow Strategy vs. Strategy Healthy Edge

I know that Strategy is supposed to be for hard working and show horses, Strategy Healthy Edge is for pleasure horses. But my horses are both on Strategy and I'm wondering if they could benefit from switching to Healthy Edge. So all you feed experts out there, now is the time to chime in! A little info on my boys...
Krimpet-11 yr old qh, 15.1 hh, about 1000 lbs. Stocky frame, needs a little fat over his ribs, but he's not underweight (hard to explain, basically, he has fat on his butt, topline, etc, but depending on how he's standing/moving, you can see ribs, which honestly I don't understand, because for the amt of fat he has on the rest of his body, he really should have more over his ribs). On 3 lbs of Strategy, 1 lb of Blue Seal Hay Stretcher, 2 qts beet pulp shreds (2 qts when dry, then soaked), and various supplements including Smartflex Sr Herb-Free, Smartdigest, Tractgard, and Omega HS. He gets 2 smallish flakes of a med. quality grass hay at night in a slow feed hay net, out on good pasture 14 hrs a day. Work load-3-4 hrs a week of mostly trotting/cantering work, on the bit, stepping under, basically, he works hard when he's ridden.
Buster- 18 yr old tb, 16.2-3 hh, about 1200 lbs. Typical tb frame, a little underweight, not much muscling on his butt or back but has been improving. 5 lbs Strategy, 3 lbs Blue Seal Hay Stretcher, 4 qts beet pulp shreds, supplements: Omega hs, smartdigest, smartc, farriers formula ds, msm. He gets 2 smallish flakes of a med. quality grass hay at night in a slow feed hay net, out on good pasture 14 hrs a day. Work load-none.

I'm leaning towards the Healthy Edge b/c it has the Amplify nuggets in it and beet pulp, so hopefully I would able to reduce the amt of bp my TB gets. I don't want either to lose any weight though, and since the Healthy Edge is for horses that aren't in heavy work, I'm nervous that they'll drop weight.
Also a couple questions,
1. does anyone know how much their feed amount differed if they switched from regular strat to the healthy edge? Like on stat they were at 5 lbs a day, how much are they at on the healthy edge?
2. cost difference? For people that have switched from strat to healthy edge, have you noticed a cost difference, more, less?

Ok so I would really love some advice here. I'm still new to the keeping my horses at home thing, and I've found out I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to grain. The main reason I'm feeding Strategy is because my old bo fed it.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Sport D' Hiver-my lion hearted, dark bay, 1992 model TB, retired turf champion with winnings totaling over $500,000
XXSundanceXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:33 PM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to Druydess
I used Strategy for quite a while, but there was a change in formula and went off it. I LOVE the new stuff, and so do my 2 hard keepers (Arabs). One was so picky, I used to have to hand-feed her over 2 hours just to get food into her.
Now she won't take her face out of the bucket and finshes before the rest, which never happened before..
More importantly, this is the ONLY feed I've found to easily keep weight on them..
I fed rice bran, beet pulp, oil, and flax before, in addition to feed, and this feed has all of that in it, though I do give extra flax and will probably give a little more beet pulp in winter..
Hope that helps!
Druydess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:39 PM  
Yearling Member

Thanks Druydess!
Do you know how cost compares from Strategy to Strategy Healthy Edge?

Sport D' Hiver-my lion hearted, dark bay, 1992 model TB, retired turf champion with winnings totaling over $500,000
XXSundanceXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:44 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSundanceXX View Post
Thanks Druydess!
Do you know how cost compares from Strategy to Strategy Healthy Edge?
Depends on where you buy it..

Here in FL, Reg. Strategy is anywhere from $13 - $16 a bag.
The new stuff is $13.99 where I buy it, but I'm sure it's less/more in different stores.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:51 PM  
Yearling Member

13.99 here in Il, too! Love that stuff!
Amjzimm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:24 PM  
Yearling Member

I fed regular strategy until HE came out. I have been feeding it continuously for a while now. My hard keeper (only one who isn't an air fern) actually looks awesome on it. She gets just the HE and all she can eat hay/pasture (the pasture/hay hasn't changed).

I personally like the HE better then the straight strategy. I know that my feed rep said that the HE runs about .30 cents more then the regular Strategy. Also, I can get it cheaper (both S and HE) through the Purina dealer then I can through TSC. I would look into a feed dealer if you don't use one already.

Also, if your thinking about trying it, go to the Purina website and sign up for the rewards section. They will send you coupons. One for a free bag, one for buy 4 bags get 1 free (both of those coupons for HE) and one coupon for another feed (drawing a blank, but it isn't one I use)
MiniHorseFosterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:28 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniHorseFosterMom View Post

Also, if your thinking about trying it, go to the Purina website and sign up for the rewards section. They will send you coupons. One for a free bag, one for buy 4 bags get 1 free (both of those coupons for HE) and one coupon for another feed (drawing a blank, but it isn't one I use)
It's Ultium.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:19 PM  
Yearling Member

Yep that's it! lol I didn't feel like looking it up and I tossed mine as I have no use for it.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:33 AM  
Yearling Member

Yes at a feed dealer you can get one bag or a whole tuck load. You are not limited to the amounts. At least that is the way it has been with the all the feed dealers I have ever dealt with.

If anything, call over to the feed dealer and ask.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:49 PM  
Yearling Member

Here in Missouri, HE is more expensive than Strategy, but you feed less of it. When we switched over to Strategy from a $7.50/bag feed, were definitely paying more, but feeding less and thus saving. A horse that had 1.5 scoops of the other feed now gets a 1/2 scoop! Very worth it!
JSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:56 PM  
Coming two

when you say "feed dealer" are you saying you get it straight from purina or just a feed store that carries purina? if you're getting it in small amounts straight from purina how do you go about doing that?
lbequ4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:34 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbequ4002 View Post
when you say "feed dealer" are you saying you get it straight from purina or just a feed store that carries purina? if you're getting it in small amounts straight from purina how do you go about doing that?
Feed dealer to me is the Feed (and Seed) dealer. They carry Purina products and no other brands of feed. They carry feed for horses, cows, and other livestock, as well as dogs and cats. This is in addition to the full line of seed products they carry.

If you go this this page and put in you zip code and select a radius or put in your city and state, it gives you a list of feed dealers near you. http://horse.purinamills.com/dealerlocator/default.aspx

It can and does list the places like TSC and such, but it will also give you the certified feed dealers who are people who should know more about the feeds then the employees at a place like TSC does.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition