Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2010, 04:08 PM  
Yearling Member

diatomaceous earth good wormer?

I have one of my horses who is extremely difficult to worm. I was told that diatomaceous earth could work.......any idea?
shamrock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:32 PM  
Yearling Member

I've heard that it isn't effective. Why not try putting the wormer in grain and mixing with applesauce or mollasses? That usually works for me.

Sport D' Hiver-my lion hearted, dark bay, 1992 model TB, retired turf champion with winnings totaling over $500,000
XXSundanceXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:46 PM  
Bombproof Member

I tried dewormer in the grain - nope. Got someone to start putting the bit in the horse's mouth then while the horse is mouthing the bit, I quickly squirt the dewormer in-worked 3 times then horse got wise. So far what is working is "buttering" pieces of alfalfa cubes with the dewormer and feeding one at a time. I break them about 1/4" thick slices. It takes 10 or so slices as I don't want it too thick and maybe rejected.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:54 PM  
Coming two

Have you tried apple juice in a syringe? One of my mares was difficult to deworm and everyday I gave her a syringe full of apple juice and a bunch of treats afterward. Now she lines up to be dewormed because she knows she'll get a bunch of treats.
horsecrazygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:41 PM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to Druydess
I've used DE and the key is in the consistency of using it. The Chinese used it thousands of years ago to worm their horses. It must be used for weeks - in cycles, with loading doses, and mixed with food (wet) - horses don't object to it. There's no taste/odor. Never put it in food dry, as horses can inhale it and it can affect the lungs. Make sure you buy "food grade" DE.
It works because it desiccates smaller organisms, but leaves the larger organs of the host intact.
Druydess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:10 AM  
Kid Safe

Not to hi-jack the thread... but I don't quite understand the DE concept...

My horse gets colic from increased/to much sand and foreign debris in his gut. If feeding DE on a daily basis is needed to de-worm, isn't this increasing the foreign matter in the gut idea... in my case my horse seems to eat sand as part of his diet. We combat that by cleaning him out regularly with sand clear. But isn't DE a form of sand/dirt?
Can someone offer some insight?
horselover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:52 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Here is an article on Diatomaceous Earth

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Brazil's National Horse is now in Canada! http://sunsetmarchadors.blogspot.com/
dandeeqh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:07 PM  
Yearling Member

Shamrock, DE is in the Animal Element you'll be receiving.
Amjzimm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:46 PM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to Druydess
Quote:
Originally Posted by horselover4life View Post
Not to hi-jack the thread... but I don't quite understand the DE concept...

My horse gets colic from increased/to much sand and foreign debris in his gut. If feeding DE on a daily basis is needed to de-worm, isn't this increasing the foreign matter in the gut idea... in my case my horse seems to eat sand as part of his diet. We combat that by cleaning him out regularly with sand clear. But isn't DE a form of sand/dirt?
Can someone offer some insight?
DE is actually microscopic exoskeletons of fossilized creatures. They are harmless to the gut of a larger creature, but their tiny spines and protuberances actually "slice and dice" the bodies of smaller creatures.i.e - worms, bugs, etc,, thereby desiccating them and killing them first hand.
Very effective, and it leaves nothing in the bodies of the host. It's perfectly safe for cats. dogs, humans, etc.
Druydess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:32 PM  
Kid Safe

^^^^Thanks for the easy explanation^^^

Although to me sounds "gross", but I now understand the idea of DE. I think I may stick with my paste wormers, but it is good knowing there is another way out there if needed. It just grosses me out to think about feeding my horse dead animals in any form on a daily basis.
horselover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:44 PM  
Yearling Member

Whether or not you realize it, you're probably already feeding it to your horse on a very small scale. Mills where feed is made use DE to keep bugs from growing in the grain since it is stored for periods of time and bugs do get in it.

I get my DE in 50# bags from a large comercial feed mill for $32 dollars delivered to my feed store and use it daily on my stallion. Love it. Also worm my dogs and cats with it as it is non-toxic. Worm my other horses with it, just not as a daily ration like I do my stallion.
eclectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:56 PM  
Bombproof Member

I'd wonder just how complete a dewormer DE would be as each type of worm from ingestion takes a different path. What about those that develope in the cheek and travel thro the lungs before they are coughed up and swallowed? If the DE gets them when they travel to the gut it's a little late as the damage has been done. I use DE in the run-in when I don't have time to clean. Each pile is dusted with a handful of DE. Where the manure is dumped few flies hatch because of the DE.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:54 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic View Post
Mills where feed is made use DE to keep bugs from growing in the grain since it is stored for periods of time and bugs do get in it.
Some mills do but not all. When I was working the feed mill here we sold DE in 50 Lb bags but we didn't mix it in any feed until the customer requested to have it mixed in their own custom feed mix.

Brazil's National Horse is now in Canada! http://sunsetmarchadors.blogspot.com/
dandeeqh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:11 AM  
Newborn Member

Ahhh very good then! Sounds like you are on the way to doing your research! Hopefully someone on here has used it before and can tell you more - good luck!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:18 AM  
Weanling Member

I use DE on a regular basis. I had a mare that constantly rubbed her tail even after repeatedly using chemical wormers. After doing DE she stopped and has not done that since. I believe I initially gave it everyday for a month and then reduced it to a weekly dose. I still do an occasional chemical wormer, but not nearly as often. We wet the grain and then add the DE so they do not inhale the dust.

Always remember, what mother nature gives...father time takes!
Buckeye Horsefeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:17 AM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Pikkens View Post
I'd wonder just how complete a dewormer DE would be as each type of worm from ingestion takes a different path. What about those that develope in the cheek and travel thro the lungs before they are coughed up and swallowed? If the DE gets them when they travel to the gut it's a little late as the damage has been done. I use DE in the run-in when I don't have time to clean. Each pile is dusted with a handful of DE. Where the manure is dumped few flies hatch because of the DE.
DE is effective on the stages of the worm's life when it is a soft-bodied creature, it is ineffective on cysts and similar life stages, that's why you need to have it on a schedule to coincide with hatching and such
Old 10-13-2010, 05:36 AM  
Pasture Pet

Well we learn something new every day. never knew this stuff existed. I am still going to stick with worming 45 horses with the regular stuff, in a syringe food. donut. bread, cream puff. i have used it all to get them to eat it.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:04 PM  
Weanling Member

I hope no one here is using DE as the only means of worming there horses. Peer reviewed scientific studies have shown without a doubt that DE does NOT effectively worm your horse. As it's 11pm, and I'm exhausted after a long day, I don't have the energy to pull the research about DE being ineffective, but if you will have the patience to wait until tomorrow, I'll be happy to provide the proof.

If I had a hard to worm horse, first of all, I'd pull a fecal every three months to see if I even needed to deworm. The last five I've pulled on my horse have been negative. So, i deworm twice a year for tapeworms, which you can't see on a fecal. Then, I'd go about training them to accept worming tubes. Applesauce is your friend. Take an empty wormer tube, fill with applesauce, worm horse. Repeat ad nauseum. Before too long, your horse will figure out that the tube means yummy things are coming. Then on wormer day, take two tubes with applesauce and one with wormer. Give applesauce, wormer, applesauce. If your horse doesn't like applesauce, you can use pureed carrots, syrup, anything they like.

If you insist on using DE, please pull fecals on your horse frequently. Uncontrolled worm load is a quick and easy way to get a dead horse.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition