Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 PM  
Yearling Member

Foaming at the Mouth/Nose...

I was out at the barn tonight when one of the horses started having some respiratory issues. She had been ridden for an hour but seemed fine, was fine when she was walked out, and then started breathing quickly when she was being untacked. Everyone figured it was just that she was tired because she isn't ridden very often (she's about 4.5 months pregnant, and then suffered injuries while at the breeders and then again when at the vet for the first incident). When put into her stall she laid down. At that point they started walking her out in case it was colic but she had this foamy stuff coming out of her mouth and nose...not the same as when another horse actually did colic. It started out looking like runny latte foam and by the end of the night was a stiffer foam. Initially it was a slight bit pinky in color but then became just white. She wasn't sweating at all, and besides the quick breath sounds (sounded like she was having trouble breathing, and you could hear it in her chest as well) and the foam she didn't really have many other symptoms. Her heart was beating quite quickly for a while but the vet figures that may have been due to her breathing being labored. She was still quite alert the entire time (would pick up her ears and put her head up if she heard someone coming, would look for food, etc).

Neither my BO nor the vet has seen this before or could figure out exactly what it was. The vet gave the horse a small amount of sedative and it seemed to calm down her breathing. After about 2.5-3 hours after the initial symptoms, she was doing much better and looks like she may recover. They will be having an ultrasound done tomorrow to try and figure out what it was (in case it happens again) and the horse is now being deemed a high risk pregnancy so no more riding...but does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be?
Leli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 PM  
aes
Greenbroke Member

Bump
aes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:01 PM  
Long Yearling

I have never heard of anything like that. I would like to know what you find out after the ultrasound. Good luck to you and your horse.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:06 AM  
aes
Greenbroke Member

This isn't my horse or Leli's, she's a horse boarded at our barn and she's pretty beloved by all. Some of the stuff Leli and I have found point to it potentially being choke. Has anyone dealt with horse choke before and does this sound like what it is to you?
aes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:11 AM  
Started

We have had one choke before. Lots of foamy stuff coming out nose and mouth, but it happened immediately after he ate - not later.

Did the mare eat anything while riding or immediately after? If the mare was able to eat fine later I doubt it would be choke. If she had choked that badly, it probly wouldn't have cleared up on it's own. Ours took quite a bit of tubing to get it cleared up.
lopintoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:19 AM  
Coming two

yes, it kind of sounds like choke. A sedative is often given to relax the horse since the horse's muscles will often spasm in choke and actually make things worse. The 2 main symptoms I look for in choke are nasal discharge and inability to eat or drink.

Almost forgot to add, if it is not a severe choke, it can clear up on its own esp with the help of a sedative.

Last edited by horsecrazygal : 09-21-2010 at 09:22 AM.
horsecrazygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:23 AM  
Coming two

Choke was my first thought,but usually would see that after eating not having just been ridden for an hour??
Saw choke once,With what I saw choke they do get the foaming at mouth & nose .extending of neck in attempt to clear & swallow down ,also attempts of coughing to expell. Breathing is more laboured & they look distressed/scared.
Most choke does clear itself but you don't always know for sure... & not nice to watch the animal distressed.
paintedpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Agreed about the timeline, I think she would have had trouble during her one hour workout if it was choke and any competent vet surely would have recognized a choke incident. My one incidence was obvious, green foamy stuff out of her mouth and nose, right after dinner, arching her neck and upset yet not really in distress. Usually it looks way scarier than it actually is and will even sometimes resolve itself. My mare needed the vet, some sedation and tubing and she was OK.

"Ye've the look of a scoundrel! And a dandysprat and a ragamuffin. Though I'll admit, for all that, ye could yet be a congressman". From Jim Butcher's "Ghost Story"
Jean Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:57 AM  
Seasoned

sounds like choke!!! They lay down sometimes to dislodge the item. I had a mare do this and then a colt that just started to learn to eat grain did it VERY scary!!!!

Izzy my walking dream!!!
cook1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:44 PM  
Yearling Member

I'm wondering if she was initially just tired (so she was breathing heavier than usual) and then once she got in her stall she quickly grabbed some hay. She had some left from when she was fed earlier that day... and the owner did say that she choked once before because she scarfed her food down so quickly.
Leli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:19 PM  
Coming two

I would say choke but a vet should know to look for it. We had a yearling cut his tongue on something and that's what caused his. He was still eating and drinking ( trying 2 anyways) it was the slobber, foam and coughing that lead the vet to flush for choke.

Equine love is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition